4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2009 8:38 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

Styling text in a text area? random word sizing fitting snuggly together

MattyBoyUK Level 1

I really like the style where text (words) form a shape.

This appears to work particularily best when the size of the words are different (could be random or could have meaning).

And even better when the words fit snuggly together as in the attached example. (also online at http://mattb.synapsehq.co.uk/Text-Area-Shaping.jpg)

The image on the right is what I am trying to achieve.

The ? shape on the left is the shape I started with, then I filled in using the Text Area tool with text giving me the middle

image. But how can I randomise the word sizes? And how would I approach fitting the words snuggly together?

• 1. Re: Styling text in a text area? random word sizing fitting snuggly together
          RogerPaine Level 1

there's no easy way to do that. I'd start with the area but forget the area text tool - use the area as a guide and manually fill with words. You'll never get the thing happening where letter strokes cross base lines of other lines as per the example if you use area text.

• 2. Re: Styling text in a text area? random word sizing fitting snuggly together
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As Roger said, automated solutions usually do not look particularly good. Area text has also the disadvantage that you will have to do extensive formatting to shift baselines and letter spacing and that will fall apart as sson as you change a single letter. I'd do it manually with individual text pieces, even if it seems a drag. It's still the most efficient way.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Styling text in a text area? random word sizing fitting snuggly together
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Matty,

You may consider a dodgy way of creating the bits of type to adjust and move round:

1) Create Type with more or less the final distribution of words into lines,

2) Save as PDF without preserving editing capabilities and close;

3) Open the PDF and work with the bits.

This may be easier than first placing the individual bits; and you may select groups to move.

• 4. Re: Styling text in a text area? random word sizing fitting snuggly together
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

It is kind of funny that today everyone thinks that if it is work then it is not worth it. And everyone wants to know what plug in does this thing.

In the old days we would have had a ball piecing it together regardless of how much work and how late we stood up. Actually it would only take a couple of hours but the art director and designer and client would of course analyze it and figure out that that this word should be smaller than that word and that word should should be bigger than that word and it would go on for weeks, of course that will happen in this case as well.

Of course if i were the art director or the designer I would not do anything until two hours before the final deadline so there was no chance to change anything.

Which is a good point to make here do it manually do not rush through it spend small amounts of time on it so it is not  a drag and finish it about a half hour before the final deadline and be thankful there is no way to automate this as your client will drive you crazy if there were such a method.

And charge them a lot of money for doing all this manual work.