14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2009 8:34 AM by the_wine_snob

Creating Bullets in titles

rtprtp Level 1

Hi Friends,

Does anyone know how to creat bullets in titles. I need to create a list of bulleted copy points and dissolve them one at a time onto the scene. So far I have used the Circle to and created them manually, but I am hoping there is a better way, maybe a font that has bullets.

Thanks, Stan

• 1. Re: Creating Bullets in titles
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For Bullets, I use my word processor and Ctrl+c/Ctrl+v (Copy/Paste) to do this. Even if I am doing my Titles in Photoshop, I find this easier. One can also access the extended ASCII character set via Character Map, or the various Alt+ key combos on the numberpad. There are good Bullets there, and if one has Wingdings, and Webdings fonts, there are many more.

Good luck,

Hunt h

• 2. Re: Creating Bullets in titles
            rtprtp Level 1

Hunt,

I have yet to import from Word. How do you do that? Sounds like a great solution. Do you copy paste one bulleted line at a time in ordedr to have them seperated in order to build with a dissolve?

Thanks, Stan

• 3. Re: Creating Bullets in titles
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Stan,

That is exactly how I do it. I have WordPerfect, or Word open and do the typing and font selection there. I do my Titles one line at a time, so I can apply different animations to them, as is needed. To get the text into Titler, I just Ctrl+c the selected text, and switch to Titler to Ctrl+v.

One thing that I usually do, but that is not available in PrE, is to do my Titles as a Layered .PSD in Photoshop. In PrPro, I can Import>Sequence, and keep my Layers intact. In PrPro, each Layer comes in on a separate Video Track, one above the other. This keeps the alignment and leading correct, but each line is a discrete Clip and can be animated separately. PrE does not allow this, as it does not have Sequences (kind of like mini-Projects, in a Project).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Creating Bullets in titles
                rtprtp Level 1

Thanks Hunt.

One last question...Is there a grid I can bring up in the Titler to help with alignment? I couldn't find one.

Stan

• 5. Re: Creating Bullets in titles
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Not really. I make them, as is necessary, in Photoshop. I'm usually doing them for things like PiP placement, though I have some straight ones with just the grid lines. I'll just Import these and place them on a Video Track above my main Video, but below the Title. In PrPro, I just click Show Video (believe that this is always ON in PrE), and can even turn the main Video's view OFF, if that helps me see the grid. When done, I either just remove that grid .PSD, or in PrPro, turn that Video Track OFF, before I Export, or I will have the grid in the final Video - something that I usually do not want.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Creating Bullets in titles
                    rtprtp Level 1

Good idea Hunt, as always!

• 7. Re: Creating Bullets in titles
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is an NTSC Wide Screen Grid in .PSD format w/ transparency. Hope that .PSD will attach.

Hunt

[Edit] Looks like Adobe will not allow .PSD's to be attached. Will archive this file and try again.

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob Added [Edit]

• 8. Re: Creating Bullets in titles
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is an NTSC Wide Screen Grid in .PSD format w/ transparency. Hope that .PSD's will attach.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Creating Bullets in titles
                          rtprtp Level 1

not attached. my email is staylor at raskintaylor.com.

Thanks!!

• 10. Re: Creating Bullets in titles
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Looks like Zipping the .PSD worked.

If you are in PAL-land, let me know and I can modify this for you. Also, because of the PAR (1.2), the vertical lines are not the neatest that I've seen.

Even though this is WS, 16:9, it will still work in 4:3 Projects. Just remember to remove it, before Export, as PrE doesn't allow for one to turn VT's OFF, I do not believe.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Creating Bullets in titles
                              rtprtp Level 1

still didn't get the file.

working in NTSC

• 12. Re: Creating Bullets in titles
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Go up to Post #7 and look at the bottom of the reply. You should see the attached file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Creating Bullets in titles
                                  rtprtp Level 1

Got it. Thanks so much!!! This is gonna save me.

• 14. Re: Creating Bullets in titles
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As mentioned earlier on, I create these with the "boxes" for PiP's too. PrE has some Presets, but PrPro does not - all is done by hand. The positioning "boxes" save me having to do a bunch of math, and saves a lot of typing in coordinates. I just drag to the appropriate "box."

Good luck,

Hunt

PS one thing that I found out years ago was that if I Exported out a .PSD from PS with the program's Grid (set in View), and then opened that .PSD in Painter, it brought in the Grid. I could then Save_As out of Painter with PS's Grid, and then set the Transparency back in PS. I discovered this, when the Grid that does not print out of PS, did in Painter - not what I wanted, but then the idea hit me to use that to my advantage. I just had to turn OFF the Grid View in PS, if I was going to Open in Painter.