13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2009 2:46 AM by Mark Rye

3d stereoscopic page sequential video

Mark Rye

Hi everyone,

I have been shooting HD video, using two video cameras, for left and right eye.  I have imported the video into Premiere Pro CS4 and have syncronised it in the time line. I can edit it too so that I have two identical clips of the same length.

My problem is I am struggling to see which Adobe program I should use to create a finished 3d video.  This video will be played as a page flipped video using nvidia 3d vision but I think that the 3d file format can be page flip sequential or side-by-side.   I can't find a tutorial on how to create a stereoscopic file from two seperate left / right files.

Please could someone outline the process and the most suitable adobe application.

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: 3d stereoscopic page sequential video
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          which Adobe program I should use to create a finished 3d video.

I'm not aware of this functionality being built-in to any current Adobe program.

I can't find a tutorial on how to create a stereoscopic file from two seperate left / right files.

That's probably because even Hollywood is still working this out.  There's no clear 'standard' for 3D video.  So it's not surprising that clear directions haven't worked their way down to our level yet.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 3d stereoscopic page sequential video
            Mark Rye Level 1

Thanks Jim.

That is strange because I have read a lot of references about it but no specific instructions.  I have seen a brief half-tutorial showing After Effects being used to create anaglyph 3d video from two clips.  I would also (humbly) imagine that two different videos can be put side by side in a frame that is twice the width.  I admit I have seen very little about creating a page flipped 3d video except that Sony Vegas can do it I think.  I assumed that Adobe CS4 could do it too.

I'm not looking for a video standard as such but there are 3d videos appearing on the Nvidia 3d vision site.  They are asking people to send in their own 3d videos so I thought that some sort of basic standard must have been established and Adobe being the best would have it covered.

• 3. Re: 3d stereoscopic page sequential video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Maybe contact nVidia for some pointers on the production. They might have some good tips and maybe even links to tutorials that would help you work out the fine details.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: 3d stereoscopic page sequential video
                Mark Rye Level 1

Thanks, the wine snob.  AFAICS there is nothing there and I am looking for specific Premiere Pro or After Effects help as those are two of the applications I have.

I was looking for someone with technical knowledge to answer:

- Is it possible to create a double width, side by side video of left and right eyes?  Premiere Pro?

-  If I am using 1080p 25fps, can I create 1080p 50fps by "interlacing" two videos.  After Effects?

I suppose I need someone with a 3d interest.  I thoght everyone was at it these days!

Thanks again.      

• 5. Re: 3d stereoscopic page sequential video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

There might be more knowledge in some of the high-end gamer fora, especially some of the adventure and POV-shooter games. We see a bit of that here, usually involving a screen-cap program, FRAPS, or similar. So far, no mention of 3D, that I recall.

Also, this is being used in the architectural community, so that might also yield some info.

Just guessing here,

Hunt

• 6. Re: 3d stereoscopic page sequential video
                    fuaho Level 1

You can start with this:

http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stvmkr/

It will create Side-by-Side, over-under, pageflip, anaglyph, etc.

Don't know about PAL and 1080...

HTH

• 7. Re: 3d stereoscopic page sequential video
                      Mark Rye Level 1

Thank you.  I found that unfortunately.  I have 2x1080i cameras and was looking to do HD 3d but Im sure I could improve my skills until I find something better.

I see Premiere Pro does side-by-side (PIP) but I cant see if the output image can be widened x2 so the left right dont need to be cropped.

• 8. Re: 3d stereoscopic page sequential video
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Make a desktop sequence with 3840 x 1080 resolution and put the video's side-by-side with the motion/position effect.

• 9. Re: 3d stereoscopic page sequential video
                          fuaho Level 1

Mark,

Having done a lot of HD 3D, I'd like to make a suggestion:

Go to the end of the line first.

By that I mean - how do you intend to exhibit your footage? Does the nVidia site show 1920x1080i PAL? Or simply a web-centric down-rez?

There is no upside to wasting bandwidth and disk space if the final display format is not 1920x1080i PAL.

I've created 1280x720p NTSC HiDef 3D videos for over a year now, Most of them are shown using dual, polarized DLP projectors on 16- to 32-foot wide silver screens. And most of them are down-rezzed to only 1024x576p because that is what most projectors can use.

There is also the issue of file size. I've evolved a very specific workflow to create HD 3D files that can be handled by most venues, and will play fluidly on most equipment.

While it's exciting to submerge in the HiDef 3D world, it is also necessary to remember that extremely few others are there yet. If you are going to eventually make a DCP, then by all means stay as native as possible. Otherwise, there is really no necessity.

I find it really bizarre to think that, while there is finally the capability for much more accurate reproductions of reality, the technology must be more and more compressed to be viable.

We now have 1920x1080 imagery captured in the H.264 format!!!

HTH

• 10. Re: 3d stereoscopic page sequential video
                            Mark Rye Level 1

Thanks fuaho for taking the time.  Sounds like you are on the cutting edge.

NVidia has standard and medium res clips on their website.  They have not really focussed on 3d movie capability at all, at present - mainly gaming.

My usage is for home videos and a select audience!  I have a young son, a fast motorbike and have always had a big interest in 3d.  I bought a very compact Sony HD cam for holidays and thought at that price maybe I could get two identical cameras.  Which I did.

In ten years time when everyone is showing their children their home movies, I hope he will appreciate that some of ours is in 3d.  Friends like watching anything 3d too, it would seem.  I think I could create anaglyph in Premiere Pro but want to go a step further.  While shooting in 3d is a good start, because I can always process it later on, I would like to see how good it is now so that I am encouraged to shoot more film in 3d.  Plus I dont want a huge backlog to process.

My only display device at present capable of displaying page flipped 3d is my 120hz samsung monitor.  It sounds like all that is about to change and 3d become more mainstream.  So I am happy to capture footage now and wait to show it off at a later date.  That said I would like to watch it on my monitor in the meantime.  My preference is to record and process it in as higher res as possible to future proof it as far as I can.

For your 3d videos, do you create them in a side-by-side file format.  Could you briefly outline your workflow after you have shot the left and right eye footage pls?

Regards,

• 11. Re: 3d stereoscopic page sequential video
                              Mark Rye Level 1

Apologies Harm - I missed your post.  Thank you.

Would you mind expanding a little.  Premiere Pro?  How do I set desktop sequence to 3840 x 1080 - I seem to have presets only.

I think this is what I need.  Thank you.

• 13. Re: 3d stereoscopic page sequential video
                                Mark Rye Level 1

Got it.  Thank you Harm.  Great.

Thanks to everyone too.