11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2009 2:52 PM by Harm Millaard

Premiere Pro CS3 vs CS4

hughie49

I am currently editing using P.Pro CS3 along with CS3 ULTRA (not supported in CS4)  My question is can I update my P.Pro from CS3 to CS4 and still be able to use the CS3 ULTRA Program.

Thank You

Hugh Daly

JHD Productions Ltd.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 vs CS4
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I have not used Ultra so take this with a grain of salt.  But Ultra I believe is a stand-alone program.  Hopefully some Ultra users can give us some actual data.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 vs CS4
            Harm Millaard Level 7

As long as there is one CS3 application installed on your system (Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator or any of the other key programs) you can use Ultra CS3.

I have Flash CS3 installed, Ultra CS3 and the whole CS4 Master Collection. No problems with Ultra.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 vs CS4
              hughie49 Level 1

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You....

Hugh Daly

JHD Productions

Long Island NY

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 vs CS4
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Just make sure one of the key CS3 applications is installed, because if you do not have one installed, Ultra will operate as a trial version and after 30 days will notify you that the trial period has expired and will close down. I know from personal experience. The only way to get it working as the full version again was to reinstall one of the key programs. I have chosen Flash because it is pretty small in footprint.

BTW, I don't object to points for the correct answer. Makes the lunch will Bill come closer.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 vs CS4
                  hughie49 Level 1

OK,

I want to update CS3 to CS4 keeping ULTRA working. Since I am currently running on WIN XP Pro (32 bit)  with Matrox AXIO LE and I already have 4 processors and 8 gigs of ram, how about I get VISTA 64 bit. Can I still keep my favorite ULTRA program from CS3  ) Since I have it...I want to keep it. I was told that in the Win Vista 64 install, there is a provision for keeping some 32 bit programs working. If that is the case than perhaps I can run CS3 (32 bit) Flash with it's small footprint and install the whole (stand alone) ULTRA and have it functioning.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks,

Hughie

JHD Productions Ltd.

Long Island NY

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 vs CS4
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Instead of Vista, get Windows 7 Professional 64 bits version, the best version IMO.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 vs CS4
                      dradeke Adobe Employee
                      Instead of Vista, get Windows 7 Professional 64 bits version, the best version IMO.

...but only if Matrox officially supports it which I'm guessing they don't right now....

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 vs CS4
                        hughie49 Level 1

Yes. Matrox is working on a WINDOWS 7 driver set for their AXIO LE system. No release date is set at this time. My Editor is using VISTA 64 bit w/ Adobe CS4 suite on his own system and says that he has no problem with it.

As I mentioned on Adobe site, my primary intrest is to make sure that the ULTRA (Serious Magic) software will keep working for me. I have an entire wall/floor chromakey painted. Aside from the four extra Virtual Reality Sets I also have 5 sets of "REALITY SETS" which were made for the ULTRA software. They feature actual live sets (Indoor & Outdoor) with multiple Alpha channels. This is why I am so intent in keeping the ULTRA programs running.

Thanks for your help in this.

Hughie

JHD Productions Ltd

www.jhdproductionsltd.com

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 vs CS4
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

That is a very nice collection to use with Ultra. I have the MSL's but never seen a Virtual Reality set. Care to show some screenshots of the most remarkable results with those?

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 vs CS4
                            hughie49 Level 1

Go to their website: realitysets.com. They have examples of several sets on there.

I now have 16 DVD's of their sets including the Las Vegas set. They don't do a very good job of keying the talent (you can see the blue splash from the key on talent's face.) If that happens a simple small face side light with a straw (light yellow) filter will get rid of the blue splash.

Hughie

My website has a few REALITY shots on it aswell as the Virtual sets from Adobe (Serious Magic)

www.jhdproductionsltd.com

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 vs CS4
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Thanks for the info. I'll have a closer look.