11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2009 7:49 AM by JimHess-5IFZWq

Raw converter for D90 on CS2

lensgroup Level 1

Just purchased a D90. I am using CS2. Of course CS2 does not recognize NEF files. Can anyone out there send or direct me to where I can download a raw file converter that will work. Do I need a DNG file too? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Raw converter for D90 on CS2
          JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

You need to download and use the latest version of the DNG converter to create Digital negative copies of your raw images.  They still contain all the raw image data, but are in a file format that you can use with Photoshop CS2 and ACR 3.7.  But you won't have all the new features that Camera Raw now offers.  It is rather archaic compared to what is available now.

• 2. Re: Raw converter for D90 on CS2
            lensgroup Level 1

Actually I can do without the DNG converter. What I am really looking

for is a raw file converter for the D90 so I can work with my images in

CS2. The only raw file converter I found on the Adobe site will require

me to upgrade to CS3. I have been using Fuji products and their raw

files open with no problem. It seems that Nikon in their infinite

"wisdom" made their raw file an NEF to encourage you to buy their NX2

software.

• 3. Re: Raw converter for D90 on CS2
              JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

lensgroup wrote:

Actually I can do without the DNG converter. What I am really looking

for is a raw file converter for the D90 so I can work with my images in

CS2. The only raw file converter I found on the Adobe site will require

me to upgrade to CS3. I have been using Fuji products and their raw

files open with no problem. It seems that Nikon in their infinite

"wisdom" made their raw file an NEF to encourage you to buy their NX2

software.

You were asking for a raw converter for Photoshop CS2 that would enable you to work on your NEF files from your D90.  There isn't one.  That is why I suggested the DNG converter.  Photoshop CS3 is obsolete, so I don't know where you will be able to purchase it.  If you are going to upgrade, go ahead and move to CS4.  It has the best version of Camera Raw yet.

This isn't just a problem with Nikon.  Regardless of brand, support has to be added for each individual camera model that shoots raw images.  It's unfair to the public, but it's a problem with the camera makers.

• 4. Re: Raw converter for D90 on CS2
                lensgroup Level 1

Thanks for your input Jim. So you are saying that CS4 has a raw

converter that will open D90 NEF files? If so, looks like CS4 is where

I'm headed.

• 5. Re: Raw converter for D90 on CS2
                  JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

The D90 I believe has been supported since the since the later versions of ACR 4.x which was compatible with Photoshop CS3.  That support continues in CS4.  Upgrading is a good choice.  But be aware that there will probably be another version of Photoshop available within the next two months.  And, of course, ACR will be better than ever.

• 6. Re: Raw converter for D90 on CS2
                    lensgroup Level 1

Guess I can wait for the next version. Can't imagine what the cost will

be though. I think their prices are a bit heavy for an upgrade

• 7. Re: Raw converter for D90 on CS2
                      JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

The upgrade price is usually about $200 if you just have Photoshop, more if you have the entire Creative Suite.  You can wait another version and still get the upgrade price.  In the meantime, you could use the DNG converter or simply shoot JPEG.  Of course, you could use ViewNX that came with your camera to do very basic raw conversion, and then save TIF images to finish up in Photoshop CS2.

• 8. Re: Raw converter for D90 on CS2
                        Greg Barnett Level 2

>But be aware that there will probably be another version of Photoshop available within the next two months.

Jim,

I think you're being a bit optimistic about that release date for CS5... I can't remember off-hand when CS4 shipped but Adobe is usually on a dev cycle of approximately 18 months. So I'd be surprised if we see it this year.

Greg

• 9. Re: Raw converter for D90 on CS2
                          John Joslin Level 6

Greg Barnett wrote:

>But be aware that there will probably be another version of Photoshop available within the next two months.

Jim,

I think you're being a bit optimistic about that release date for CS5... I can't remember off-hand when CS4 shipped but Adobe is usually on a dev cycle of approximately 18 months. So I'd be surprised if we see it this year.

Greg

I think Jim must have been confusing the update cycle of ACR with that of Photoshop. CS4 shipped in September 2008.

• 10. Re: Raw converter for D90 on CS2
                            lensgroup Level 1

Well whenever is comes out hopefully it will be worth waiting for.

Al

• 11. Re: Raw converter for D90 on CS2
                              JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

John Joslin wrote:

Greg Barnett wrote:

Jim,

Greg

I think Jim must have been confusing the update cycle of ACR with that of Photoshop. CS4 shipped in September 2008.

No, I wasn't confusing the update cycle.  Like you said, CS4 was released last September.  So we are well past the halfway mark for the release of the next version.  Not this year, but probably fairly early next year.  That's only my guess.  And my thinking was, if someone updates now and then in less than a year finds himself with obsolete software, he might be a little disappointed.  I don't know when CS5 will be released.  It's only conjecture.  But I just thought it might be something that should be considered.