4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2009 1:58 PM by the_wine_snob

DVD poor quality

djblev Level 1

I just created a DVD but the video quality is too poor to use.  I get 'ghosting' or flicker with motion, which is 99% of the content.

A client gave me 14 home-made DVDs containing video of high school basketball games and asked me to create a highlight video.  I edited the VOB files in Premiere CS4 (4.1.0) to pull highlights and compile them into a single highlight DVD.

I exported the video to Adobe Media Encoder (4.0.0.374) to create a F4V file to be used on websites.  I used the standard preset.  The quality of the F4V video is good.

I then used Adobe Dynamic Link to export to Encore CS4 (4.0.0.258).  I burned a DVD and the result was a DVD with poor quality.

There is a brief clip in the highlight video that I recorded myself of the athlete providing a short introduction of himself.  That clip and the still titles I made look good on the DVD, but the highlight clips from the client's DVDs are very poor.

From some of the discussions I've already read in this forum, I assume I need to change a field option or the Anti-flicker value under Effect Controls or something similar, but haven't figured out what yet.  Also, when I make changes to values, do I have to burn a DVD to see the result of the change or is there a better way to preview?

Thanks for your help!

Dan

• 1. Re: DVD poor quality
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          A client gave me 14 home-made DVDs containing video of high school basketball games and asked me to create a highlight video.  I edited the VOB files in Premiere CS4 (4.1.0) to pull highlights and compile them into a single highlight DVD.

It is very likely that the double MPEG-2 encoding is degrading the material too much. Is it possible to get back to the client's original tapes? That would save one MPEG-2 compression. Otherwise, what you have is probably as good as it will get.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: DVD poor quality
            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can also try to increase the quality settings for your re-encoding, including reducing the amount of video you are including on the hightlights if necessary.  Use some short clips to test your settings.

I prefer using a frame accurate mpeg editor that does not re-encode anything other than the bits that are affected by edits between gop boundaries.  (E.g. womble, videoredo.)  This keeps your original quality.

I forget since I don't have CS4 - does Premiere still re-encode the whole mpeg clip including unedited parts?  It is not yet a "frame accurate mpeg" editor is it?

• 3. Re: DVD poor quality
              djblev Level 1

Thanks for your help.  With some testing I found that checking the box next to the Reverse Field Dominance switch under Field Options greatly improved the video quality.

Thanks!

Dan

• 4. Re: DVD poor quality
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news and thanks for reporting what worked for you.

Good luck,

Hunt