4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2009 11:22 PM by Viperjts100

Make subtle adjustments to simlar symbols on the stage

Viperjts100 Level 1

Let's say I create a symbol of a stick figure holding a shield.

Symbol 1: The Stick man

Symbol 2: The Shield

Symbol 3: the Stick man holding the shield.

Now, how would it be possible to place several copies of Symbol 3 on the stage while making subtle adjustments to EACH symbol 3 on the stage.

Is this possible?

Let's say I want to make each stickman slightly a different color without every single stickman taking on the same color.

Then I may want symbol 2 (the shield) to be a slightly different color in each of the stickman.

How could I go about making this subtle of an adjustment without effecting every instance of symbol 1 and 2 on the stage. Is this possible in flash??? It seems that flash has so much power, but I have yet to figure out how to use it all, and I sure hope something like this is possible.

If I need to explain what I mean, I sure will take the time to do this, but if someone could help me out here, that would be hugely appreciated.

• 1. Re: Make subtle adjustments to simlar symbols on the stage
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

If you give each symbol instance an instance name, then you can operate on any of the properties of each of those symbols. So, for instance, if you have one instance of symbol 3 on the stage, select it and, in the Properties window, give it an instance name of "figure1". If you then double click on this instance, you can open it in to edit its content. This symbol will contain two symbols. Select each one separately and name each, say "man" and "shield".

Now, every time you bring a copy of the figure from the Library to the stage, it will contain two named symbol instances. If you select this new instance on the stage and name it, you can then address the symbols inside separately from the symbols inside "figure1".

The options for changing the color of any given symbol are limited. One way to go about this is to edit the shield symbol, add a layer, and then add a new symbol that you can use for the color change.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Make subtle adjustments to simlar symbols on the stage
            Viperjts100 Level 1

thanks for the help.

I followed what you did, but something didn't seem to work.

I placed my complete symbol (with the man and the shield) on the stage, and named it "figure1".

Then doubled clicked "figure1" and named each of the items in him ("shield" and "man").

From there, I added a new instance on the stage called "figure2".

However, when I go and change the tint color on the shield in "figure1" it seems to also effect the shield in "figure2".]

I can't figure out what naming the elements do yet because I haven't seen a noticable difference. Is there another reason to name my instances other than for use with actionscript?

• 3. Re: Make subtle adjustments to simlar symbols on the stage
              robdillon Most Valuable Participant

Here's an example of what I was trying to describe to you: http://www.ddg-designs.com/downloads/stick.zip . I have two instances of the same figure on the stage. I have set a color transform value to the shield of one of the these instances. The other figure's shield remains unchanged.

If you double click on any given figure on the stage and then double click on the shield of that figure and change the color, you are changing the color of the original symbol and so every instance of that shield in every figure on the stage will be changed. By addressing the color transform of an individual instance in a single figure instance on the stage you are able to change just one and not all of the shields.

• 4. Re: Make subtle adjustments to simlar symbols on the stage
                Viperjts100 Level 1

ah wow, tyvm for showing me this file. I didn't realize actionscript was necessary for this, and I'm not too familiar with all of the key concepts with using actionscript.

Now, would I just need to perform this type of code for every object that I want to alter the symbol with.

In my animations, I'll have a figure, and there will be a variety of different colors for my figure, but they all look alike (other than the color). So I would assume I could just do as you did, and copy the code to make another color.

Thanks for taking the time to show me this.