7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2009 8:44 PM by the_wine_snob

Creating an autoplay preview & then DVD Title Menu

CrazyIvan007

Hey All.  Excuse my ignorance.  I have only been attempting video editing for a couple days.

I have searched the help and the knowledge base, but couldn't find anything.

I am trying to figure out how to create a preview video that will autoplay when you insert the DVD and then when it is complete, it will go to the title menu.

This would be similar to Movie DVDs that show movie previews for a few minutes, then go to the DVD Title menu.

Is this available in Pe7?  Also, if it is...Do I have the option to make it so this preview autoplay video can not be bypassed and must be watched?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Creating an autoplay preview & then DVD Title Menu
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, this is not directly possible in PrE. Most full authoring programs can do it easily. One can also use other utilities to re-edit the files if you Burn to Folder. There was a tutorial on Muvipix, IIRC, on how to do this.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Creating an autoplay preview & then DVD Title Menu
            CrazyIvan007 Level 1

Full versions like Adobe Premier CS4 or whatever?

• 3. Re: Creating an autoplay preview & then DVD Title Menu
              CrazyIvan007 Level 1

Do you think there is a way to add it to a custom title menu?  I'll have to look into that.

• 4. Re: Creating an autoplay preview & then DVD Title Menu
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The best, most economical solution is to buy a program called DVD Architect Studio -- available as a download from Sony for $39.

This powerful DVD authoring program not will create the Introductory Media segment you're looking for, but it also gives you options for creating multi-layered DVD menus and creating custom looks for your menu pages.

To use it, you just output a DVD-quality MPEG from Premiere Elements and then place it into DVD Architect Studio. Any other video you want to add (like that introductory clip) can also be added as needed. I highly recommend it!

• 5. Re: Creating an autoplay preview & then DVD Title Menu
                  CrazyIvan007 Level 1

Thanks.

I tried Sony's DVD Architect Studio trial.  But, it won't import videos from my HG10.  I have to run the files through Adobe Pe7 and create MPG files from them first.

Also, I can't seem to give photo images a time length in the timeline.  So say I am putting together a CD with slides and video.  I want the photos to show for like 5-10 seconds.  This won't allow me to do it.

What is funny is that I can use the crappy Corel DVD Moviefactory version that came with my HG10 camera to both edit the time length an image shows, and also have an intro video that shows up before the DVD Menu.

But, I don't like this Corel program because It has limited design options, Title Menus can not be customized really, and it's just kind of a pain to work with.  Also, when I created a DVD, it took about 15 minutes for the burn process, compared to the 1 minute it took for the Adobe Pe7 to create with the same files.

So I just don't know.  I've read where the Corel Moviefactory Pro has better options and customizations, but it is another $130, unless they consider it an update from my version that came with my Camcorder.  I might try the demo, if I can find one.

Any ideas on how to make this easier?

• 6. Re: Creating an autoplay preview & then DVD Title Menu
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

By a "full authoring" program, I am talking about Adobe Encore (only available in CS4, since CS2), DVD Studio Pro, or a program like Sony DVD Architect. I think that there might be several versions of the Sony product. There are several others too. At the top is Sonic Scenarist, but with the full-boat version with all modules, it's about US$50,000, and out of my price range. I use Adobe Encore for all of my authoring needs.

All of these can do it easily.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Creating an autoplay preview & then DVD Title Menu
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I tried Sony's DVD Architect Studio trial.  But, it won't import videos from my HG10.  I have to run the files through Adobe Pe7 and create MPG files from them first.

You are confusing two different types of programs here.

At the base level, PrE is an NLE, a Non Linear Editor. It is designed to Import, edit and then Export Video files. [PrE also does rudimentary authoring, but not what you are asking about.]

DVD Architect is an authoring program, just like Adobe Encore. It is NOT an NLE. It does one thing, and one thing only - it authors DVD-Videos. Nothing more, and nothing less.

These are two totally different things, even if the ultimate goal is to end up with a DVD-Video.

Many do not understand the differences between editing and authoring. This distinction is often blurred because some NLE's can do a bit of authoring too. PrPro, up to CS2 can do it, in similar fashion to PrE. They can squeak by, but are very simplistic, compared to Encore, or DVD Architect. OTOH, neither of those programs can edit a single Clip - they rely on the NLE's to do that.

Once you separate the editing from the full authoring, it will be a lot clearer - two different processes, and two different programs.

Good luck,

Hunt