25 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2009 8:49 PM by the_wine_snob

Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters

EsotericTT@aol.com

I have tried this with two newly built computers, one a WIN XP, the other a VISTA.  Both use ASUS MBs and have lots of RAM, one P4, the other i7.  I spent 2 days continuosly trying different files, different sizes, God know what.  The results were always the same: No chapters.  I read and re read the manual and went step by step, but no chapters result.

For today's work I worked on an 8 minute disc with 4 chapters.  After 5, hours I made 12 DVDs, but none with chapters.  I found reference to this problem on the ADOBE Forums page, but it was very short and with no explanation.  The answer was that it was impossible to make such a disc, that one had to create a menu.  However, that directly contradicts the manual and even the EXPORT menu of the program, where you check for autoplay with no menu!

I almost feel that this is, indeed, a flaw. Am I wrong, or has someone done it?  Are there any silly mistakes one can make?  Honestly, during the last two days, I probalby have put in 16 hours of work and had no usable results.  I cannot think of another expermiment I can make.

• 1. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, I will assume that you are using Encore to create your DVD-Video. If so, this FORUM would be the best place to ask your question.

However, while you are here, let me ask some questions, that will be good info, when you post to the Encore forum.

As I understand it, you want a DVD-Video that will be "auto play." Is that correct? If so, can I assume that you do not want a "Scene Selection Menu" for your "Chapters." Is this correct?

If the above are correct, then you only need one Timeline, with all of your "Chapters." If one does NOT have a Scene Selection Menu, Chapters are moot. The Timeline (with all "Chapters")," will play through.

Now, if you want a Scene Selection Menu to access the "Chapters," what do you want to "play first?"

All of this info will help, when you get to the Encore forum.

See ya' there,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters
            Curt Wrigley Level 4

Of course you can make an auto play disk with chapters; via Encore.

What ver of Pr / Encore are you running?

If you are on the current CS4, You can send your timeline to Encore via Dynamic Link; in Encore set as many chapters as you like, set an end action and burn.

Edit: Posted same time; exccep as usual you were faster...

• 3. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of Premiere?  (I assume PPro 2.)  What are you doing to set a chapter?  (It should be an Encore marker, correct?)  Are you putting a name on the marker?  Try all of that and see what happens.  The length, number of files, etc, should not matter.  I am confused by your "number of files."  To create an autoplay DVD from within PPro 2, you can only send from one sequence (and it is the one that must have the markers).

Maybe your project is too esoteric?  (ha, ha; couldn't resist!)

Edit: I didn't see either of those responses when I started typing!

• 4. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Stanley,

Actually, there were two identical posts, and I think that the MOD's combined them, just as I was linking to the first, from the second - or the other way around.

Not sure which of the two you were replying to, but that is moot, as they have been rolled into one.

I had similar questions, as did you.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters
                  EsotericTT@aol.com Level 1

The product is Premiere CS2.  By multiple files, I meant that I tried longer audio files, then shorter, then mono, than different bit rates, then different resulutions.   I have found that many softwares go bonkers with some files with God knows what characteristics.  I tried everything possible to coax the product to work as described.in its manual, but none worked.

I do not know if Encore can do this.  I did not know Premiere could do this except for me stumbling upon the info.  Encore is yet another program I must learn.  Actually, it is very difficult to find out what any of Adobe's programs will do as it seems impossible to find out anything without a credit card in one's hand when dealing with them.  When I made other inquiries of them, they told me that this program is very old and unsupported, and that I should buy CS4 and toss this ancient $1,700.00 program of 3 years ago.   Sorry to bring that up, that belongs in the complaint department, but it is a sore point.

I am trying to make high resolution audio DVDs with the visuals only simple pictures.  While studying Premiere CS2, I noticed that it permitted PCM audio, i.e., not data compressed mp2.   Apparently, one cannout use Premiere CS2 to make 24/96 disccs, but 48/16 PCM is worth trying. That means just use some photos in order to have some video material to satify the DVD.

The idea is to play it like a CD.  Just pop it in and it plays.  If you want to jump ahead or go back, just use the cue and review controls of you DVD player.  This is explained in the manual at several points.   The Burn menu of the program has box you check to do just that.  This is what the manual says:

An auto-play DVD contains no menus. Instead, it plays automatically when you insert the disc into a DVD player. Although it has no menus, you can set DVD markers so that the Next and Previous buttons on the DVD player’s remote control jump to specific points in the movie. An auto-play DVD does not distinguish between main menu markers and scene markers, so you can add either for use by the Next and Previous buttons. Auto-play DVDs ignore stop markers.
                  Choose Window > DVD Layout, and then choose the sequence name you want to burn to a DVD.
                  In the DVD Layout panel, click Change Template.
                  Select Auto-play DVD With No Menus, and click OK.

Aha, did you get that last statement?

To preview the DVD and test the markers, click Preview DVD in the DVD Layout panel. Use the Play button, Previous Scene, and Next Scene buttons to simulate a DVD player’s remote control. (See To preview a menu-based DVD.)
                  Click Burn DVD. (See To burn a DVD disc, or save to a DVD folder or ISO image.)
                  You can switch between auto-play and menu-based DVDs by clicking Change Template in the DVD Layout panel and
                  choosing the appropriate option.

In this case it is an hour, 43 minute concert by Count Basie.  I just lined up the photos, and put markers at 6 appropriate points.  The audio was stereo 48 kHz, 16 bit.  The music comes thru on glorious sound, but chapters do not work.

I tried to find updates to CS2, but found none that appeared relevant.  I searced and searced Adobe's website but came up with nil.  However, Google worked much better.  I stayed up much too late last night, but managed to find this: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/332/332415.html

Here Adobe admits that Premier CS2 has a problem  with this specific problem.  Howver, they did not bother to correct it.  Also, their explanation as to what to do is even more confusing to me.  They seem to be saying to do two things at the same time.  If I create this menu, then which box do I click in the burn menu?  Don't forget:

Select Auto-play DVD With No Menus, and click OK

I would call them, but they would tell me the same thing: forget it; it's to old, pay up and get another program that will last only 3 years.

• 6. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters

Sorry, I made a big mistake.  The checkbox for single play without menu is not in the burn menu but in the DVD Layout menu.

I just tried implementing the Adobe Technote that I mentioned.  I followed it word for word.  It created a DVD, but not an Auto-Play DVD.   I tried it both ways.  Did what they told me, then followed the manual (I think the manual talkes about Auto-Pay DVDs in, at least, 3 different areas of the manual). Of course that meant checking Menus, then choosing a menu, then rechecking Auto-Play without menu.  It did not work.  I think the answer from Adobe should have been that Auto-Play is not really a feature, unless you want to create a DVD that almost nobody would want.  I also think it odd that when a company finds that a feature does not work, that they:

1) would not correct it and make it work.

2) send the Technote via email to all registered owners of the product.  They have your email when you register and it costs them nothing.  They could have saved me two days of drudgery.

• 7. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, let's take this one step at a time:

Encore is yet another program I must learn.  Actually, it is very difficult to find out what any of Adobe's programs will do as it seems impossible to find out anything without a credit card in one's hand when dealing with them.

Actually, if one gets lost in the manual and the Help files (F1), the first place to turn is this forum. When needing definitions on what each Adobe program can, and cannot do, there is usually no need to contact Adobe first - come here, and someone will very likely be able to help. If not, THEN contact Adobe.

First things first. We're talking about PrPro 2.0. That makes a big difference. As of CS3, PrPro came bundled with the excellent DVD authoring program, Encore. Before, one could get it as a stand-alone, or bundled with various "suites." Mine came with CS2 Production Studio.

Now, let's talk about PrPro 2.0 and Encore. PrPro 2.0 is an NLE (Non Linear Editor). It is designed to edit Video footage and can then deliver it in many formats. One thing that it can do, that CS3 & CS4 cannot, is do some very light DVD authoring and Burn to DVD-Video. Note the word "light," with regards to DVD authoring. It is very limited in what it can do, but it can do some "light" DVD authoring.

What is DVD authoring? That is the process of getting edited AV files into a form that can be Burned to a DVD-Video disc. It includes adding Menus and full navigation. That is what Encore does. It cannot edit the material, but it can "author" it to a DVD-Video. Unlike the "light" authoring capabilities of PrPro 2.0, it has "full" capabilities and allows almost infinite control of the authoring, within the DVD-specs.

Do you own Encore? If not, then you have three choices:

1.) upgrade to CS4, where it is included

2.) live with the extreme limitations of PrPro 2.0's light authoring capabilities - and man they ARE "light."

3.) purchase another authoring app. Many praise Sony's DVD Architect, but I have never used it.

4.) OK, I said three, but... find a legit copy of EncoreDVD 2.0 and purchase that. There are still sources, and a very few copies sold on eBay and the like may be legit. Check carefully to make sure that they are. Most will be pirated and hacked versions and you do NOT want any of these.

Now, off to discuss other info that you furnished,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I am trying to make high resolution audio DVDs with the visuals only simple pictures.  While studying Premiere CS2, I noticed that it permitted PCM audio, i.e., not data compressed mp2.   Apparently, one cannout use Premiere CS2 to make 24/96 disccs, but 48/16 PCM is worth trying. That means just use some photos in order to have some video material to satify the DVD.

I think that you have already found out that PrPro (and Encore) are designed to produce DVD-Video. There is a difference between that, and the all but dead, DVD-Audio. The difference is the word "Video" in the label. This means that first MUST have Video. You do, with your still images. Also, it is limited to the DVD-specs for the Audio portion of the material. You will want 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV, or DD AC3, which can be stereo, or with the addition of the Minnetonka SurCode DD 5.1 SS encoder plug-in (about US$250) DD 5.1 SS Audio.

Now, in PrPro, your source material can be other, but both PrPro and Encore do not do so well with MPEG Audio, of any flavor. I always convert ALL non PCM/WAV material to PCM/WAV for use in either PrPro, or Encore. Note: I Export from PrPro with the SurCode DD 5.1 SS plug-in, so my Import into Encore is always AC3 DD 5.1 SS. Second note: Encore can handle this material and author it to DVD-Video, but will only allow playback (monitoring) in pass-through mode, i.e. you cannot HEAR the DD 5.1 SS, only a stereo representation of it.

The idea is to play it like a CD.  Just pop it in and it plays.  If you want to jump ahead or go back, just use the cue and review controls of you DVD player.  This is explained in the manual at several points.   The Burn menu of the program has box you check to do just that.  This is what the manual says:

This is easily done, as you describe below.

An auto-play DVD contains no menus. Instead, it plays automatically when you insert the disc into a DVD player. Although it has no menus, you can set DVD markers so that the Next and Previous buttons on the DVD player’s remote control jump to specific points in the movie. An auto-play DVD does not distinguish between main menu markers and scene markers, so you can add either for use by the Next and Previous buttons. Auto-play DVDs ignore stop markers.
                        Choose Window > DVD Layout, and then choose the sequence name you want to burn to a DVD.
                        In the DVD Layout panel, click Change Template.
                        Select Auto-play DVD With No Menus, and click OK.

This is how I remember it working for me. Now, I first have to admit that I do not use PrPro's "light" authoring features, but instead only edit in it and then use Encore for my full authoring. I'm also doing more Video-oriented Projects, and not an Audio-oriented Project, such as you.

Let me go and check what you wrote, as that is how I remember it. I do recall the checkbox, that you say doesn't exist for you. Will report back.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters

Hunt, thanks, very useful.  I do have the Premium Suite and do have Encore.  I got the suite in 2006 direct from Adobe.  I only used Photoshop and Audition, and never bothered with the others till now.

One thing, we may be talking past each other on.  No, I am not trying to make a multi channel DVD-A. That is dead and useless as almost no DVD player will play them.  However, the DVD spec does accept PCM 24/96 Stereo.  They play on almost all DVD players and produce extreme resolution DVDs. Classic Audio has been selling them under the name DAD (Digital Audio Discs) for about 8 years.

Right now, with Premiere I can produce a PCM 16/48 (pretty decent sound) audio DVD (not DVD-A), but with a menu.  That's a problem because many "CD" players are really DVD players and will not play unless coaxed to by pressing PLAY a few times, but it could get worse.  You might have to connect a monitor to your "CD" player to find out what to press to make the thing play.

I will investigate what my Encore will do.  As we both know Video content is no big deal.  One photo is enough.  I want to be able to archive and produce DVDs that easily play high resolution sound.

Mike

• 10. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters

I understand your frustration, but I think you can achieve what you want very simply.  Instead of using the PPro simple DVD creation, send your file to Encore (I never did have Enc2, just PP2, but I think the basics of this work).

Once in Encore, add no menu, select your timeline and make it first play.  If your chapters came in okay, great, if not, look back at PP and get the timecodes, then just go back to encore and set them.

Your photo version is different, and may or may not raise other issues.  If the chapters do not come in from Premiere, you need to bring in an untranscoded file (i.e. DV avi).  If you do not, your chapter markers may not fall on vob breaks, and Encore will move them slightly.  If your chapter gaps are large enough, it won't matter.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              The checkbox for single play without menu is not in the burn menu but in the DVD Layout menu.

Don't worry, I knew what you meant. Also, we were both wrong - to a degree. It is a Radio Button, not a Checkbox.

Here it is:

DVD_Play_First_03a.jpg

Here is a very important step to do what you want to do:

DVD_Play_First_01a.jpg

Be sure to add a Name in this dialog screen.

Here is your Timeline with the DVD Markers:

DVD_Play_First_02a.jpg

With your DVD Layout Template set to Auto Play, and your appropriate DVD Markers (Named) on the Timeline, things should Preview and Burn as you desire, all within PrPro 2.0.

If this does not help, please let me know.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Stanley,

That is exactly where I was heading, until I revisited PrPro 2.0's DVD-Video authoring function. For what I think that the OP wants, it is all that is needed. Also, the OP is very close, and I think with just a few tweaks, can accomplish the desired end result.

I used the DVD-Video authoring in PrPro 2.0 once, and realized that Encore was going to be my first choice for everything DVD-Video. Still, for this Project, the end is right there in PrPro 2.0, and other than a few bells & whistles, Encore would be overkill, even if the OP had that program.

It took the revisit for me to see the potential - for this Project, as I understand it.

Now, if we can just get the tweaks right, all should be "good to go."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters

I am very new to Premiere and Encore.  After a week of playing around with Premiere, I spent two days in continouse DVD production on two computers changing things back an forth, reading and rereading Markers, Markers, Markers.  So, most of what you said is Greek to me, i.e.,  untranscoded file , vob breaks.   However, I will dig into itI am not sure if I should start in Premiere and send to Encore, or just start a project in Encore and see what happens.

The good part of it, is that I can, at least, make a conventional auto start audio DVD, with chapters, but with mp2 audio.  That will permit very good sound for up to two hours.  However, that would not be the only copy I wanted to archive.  I'd do it over on a pair of CDs.

• 14. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    I do have the Premium Suite and do have Encore

That is good to know, but I think that you are almost there with PrPro 2.0, and should not need to go to Encore.

No, I am not trying to make a multi channel DVD-A. That is dead and useless as almost no DVD player will play them.  However, the DVD spec does accept PCM 24/96 Stereo.  They play on almost all DVD players and produce extreme resolution DVDs

Got it. For the 24/96, I strongly suggest that you post to the Encore>Audio Handling sub-forum. You want to get the responses from Neil Wilkes. Do not mention that you are working in PrPro 2.0's authoring (yet), and see what suggestions Neil has. You may end up going to Encore, but you want to hear from Neil first.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters

I think you're right; I misread the knowledgebase info and now realize that they are saying a menu from pp can be autoplay.

Excellent!

• 16. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters

I am now in the process of burning my 12 minute test DVDs.  For the first try I put in and named 4 chapters with Main Menu Markers.  That included the beginning or first marker.  That did not work.

I am now burning one with 3 chapters, using Scene Markers.  These three are the last of the above DVD's 4 markers, as Pr2 automatically puts in the first maker.  However, I did not know how to name it.  The only way I know how to name a marker is to use the Set DVD Marker icon.  If that DVD does not work, maybe I can name it by postioning the head cursor (whatever it is called) at the beginning, then click the Set DVD Marker icon.  However, I think that will just lay anothe marker on top of the old one.

Just checked that last statement and yes, it make a marker on top of the old one.

Just checked it.  When I popped it into my DVD players...A MENU CAME UP!  Duh, I don't know what happened.  However, it was a very simple menu with Play checked.  All I had to do was hit play on the DVD player again.  Then the chapters worked.

I have now gone back and rechecked Auto-Play with no menus, and burning is in progress.

I think from the above you can see how there are a myriad of variations one can do.  That is why I have wasted two days already.

I'm burned out, this has been 3 more horrible hours of frustration.  I'm off to the gym to work out my frustrations and will keep you informed of what happened!

Mike

• 17. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          I am not sure if I should start in Premiere and send to Encore, or just start a project in Encore and see what happens.

If the "light" authoring in PrPro will work for you, I would use that. If you find that the Audio aspect is too big a limit, I would use PrPro for editing ONLY. I would then do the authoring in Encore - all of it.

Personally, I like to Export from PrPro, for use in Encore, elemental streams, i.e. a Video-only DV-AVI Type II file, and then either a PCM/WAV Audio-only file (or a DD 5.1 SS AC3, in my case). This results in two files per Sequence. In Encore, Import the Video-only as a Timeline and the WAV (or AC3) as an Asset. In the Project Panel (in Encore), drag the Audio file to the appropriate Timeline, where it will snap into place.

In Encore, you can keep your Audio as PCM/WAV (or as AC3). I do not recall exactly which Audio formats that PrPro 2.0 allows in its limited authoring. In your case, that might be a good reason to edit in PrPro 2.0 and then use Encore exclusively for doing the authoring. I believe that either will work for what you describe, but the Audio aspect might might lead you to one program vs the other.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            I'm burned out, this has been 3 more horrible hours of frustration.  I'm off to the gym to work out my frustrations and will keep you informed of what happened!

Don't let this get you down. It's not really that bad, and I think you are almost there. The only decision to make will be based on the Audio handling. That is the one big aspect that I urge you to check out with Neil Wilkes over in the Encore Audio-Handling sub-forum. He produces high-end Audio through DVD-Video and really knows his stuff. He's my first source for any Audio issue in Encore, or PrPro.

Enjoy the gym!

Hunt

• 19. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters

Pumping 205 lbs is easier than 18 hours on 2 computers.

The last DVD mentioned did not have chapters when completed.  That leaves the only alternatvie as using the simple menu, i.e., hit play-play.  Next solution is go mp2 instead of WAV.  I can do that but am reluctant.

I will try Encore and also contact Neil Wilkes and see what he can suggest.  I have been working on this for 3 - 4 years, but don't want to dump $$$ into it.

• 20. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck, and I'll see you in the Encore forum, where Neil hangs out.

Hunt

• 21. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters

*I am still trying to get Premiere to work.  The reason is that I should be able to produce this simple DVD with menus in Premiere.  To reiterate, I have a newly built ASUS P6T i7 computer that I just put together, and a rebuilt ASUS P4P800E P4 computer that I redid with SATA drives and a new install of XP.

I have been running between these two computers trying to get Premiere results that are acceptable out of either.  So, far no luck.  For the most part I have used the most reliable DVDR-RW discs I have.  They have always given me good results, but with Premiere, I have gotten more bad discs.  When the discs played, there were no chapters.  When they wouldnot play, most problems had been "cannot read", "bad disc", "no disc.  That made me thing that Premiere may have a problem burning RW discs.  When results have started to look good, I would try a trusted Tayo Yuden DVDR-.

If I can't get a simple DVD with menus out of Premiere, then what is the use of having it?  This is not a compicated project.  I have an 1:43 hour soundtrack and 6 jpgs.  I insert the soundtrack, then I put the 6 jpgs in, putting crossfades at each junction.   I then place Scene markers at the appropriate points, i.e., stretch a jpgs to cover each track.  I then chose Entertainment Theme, and Guitar Menu.

Question: Scene markers or should I use Main markers?  The manual said it did no matter when making an Auto-Play, but this is with menus. Of course, the manual said a lot of things that were false.

Here are some results from today from the new VISTA machine:

* When clicking on Burn DVD, the Burn DVD window Status would often report the project to big for the disc.  I might then Save and Exit and reopen, only to find the Status changed to "READY."  Other times, I might change the Settings to NTSC DV 4:3 Low Quality 3.0MB VBR.  Sometimes it would say "READY" with 7.0 MB!

* Most burned discs would not even be recognized by most of my players.

* Several times, 3/4 of the way thru, I would get the following error message:

Adobe PremierePro

! (in a yellow triangle)  D

OK                    CANCEL

I click on OK and it continues to burn.  In the end, I get a disc, but reading the report, I would get this nonesense:

The target media is full.  The transfer has been completed successfully  although some data has been omitted

The disc would work for 4 of the 6 chapters and just die.

* On several of the burns I got the following error message:

Device Error-Sense Code (3 72-02) - Session fixation error writing lead-out-sequential write

So far, I cannot even burn a simple, under two hour DVD with menus on Premiere.

Mike

• 22. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Device Error-Sense Code (3 72-02) - Session fixation error writing lead-out-sequential write

Mike,

Sense Code errors are often associated with the media used. The next likely source of these is communication between the burner and the computer. There can be other sources for these errors, but they are far less common.

Now, back to your Markers, I used Scene Markers and named them. Did you name your Scene Markers? I'll now duplicate your Project, as mine was much shorter. I'll try to match your Project, as closely as I can and get back to you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters

Esoteric, keep following Hunt's recommendations; he has CS2 and can help.

I will also say, however, that you have several odd things going on, and I think you might benefit from testing a simpler option.

For example, rather than burning to a disk, build a DVD folder.  That will eliminate sense code errors.  I can play my dvd folders with media player; so you may be able to also test for chapters.

Also, your photo/special format audio type project is very unusual, and you don't really know whether some of your problems are a setting.  Do you a 10 minute piece of DV video?  It is important that this be a file captured from a regular miniDV tape camera, and not something converted.  Create a new project, use that video, and send just that to create an autoplay disk without chapters.  Does it create the DVD folder successfully?  Now to a menu (autoplay or not without chapters).  Then add a couple chapters.  If you are not successful with this or get inconsistent results like the ones you describe, then you have more basic problems.

• 24. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters

The burner is a new and very common Samsung SH-S223Q.  It has the latest firmware, SB03.  Also, it burns DVDR-RWs and CDR-RWs all the time.

I just noticed a big boo-boo I made.  Last night I noticed that the dialoque at the beginning and end of the concert had great imbalance.  It was due to our local NPR guys back in 81, who are deaf.  So, I tweaked the balance in Audition.  Guess what?  Audition saved it as 48/32, not 48/16.   So, I just got my old 48/16 file, and am burning now...

...Well, I tried the resultant RW DVD in my various players and it kind of played thru all chapters and responded correctly to all chapter jumps.  This encouraged be to reburn it on a standard DVDR.  However, I also had an idea about Auto-Play.  If you use DVD Shrink, and, I think, Nero, you can get rid of all menus.  Just play the movie.  So I took that RW DVD I had just burned and ripped it to hard disc.  Then, I opened it in Shrink and selected only the "Main Movie."  I burned it onto a Tayo Yuden DVD-R and the result is a true high fidelity audio product with skip foward and backwards chapters.

So, the problem of the last two days was a silly mistake.  You see, in building a new and rebuilding two other computers, that meant a lot of programs had to be istalled.  The defaults were left in Audition, and I forgot to convert the sample rate to 16 bits.  Premier was stumbling on 32 and obviously missreporting disc size requirements.  Premier CS2 is not as sophisticated as many other probgrams I have used.  Others (low cost consumer, by the way) often issue errors when incompatible files were used.  Premiere just ignores them and burns till the disc is filled, or whatever anomoly occurs.

So, I guess it isn now time to explore Encore.  Now, if only to make a 2496 audio DVD.

• 25. Re: Cannot Make Auto-Play DVD With Chapters
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got it worked out.

Premier CS2 is not as sophisticated as many other probgrams I have used.  Others (low cost consumer, by the way) often issue errors when incompatible files were used.  Premiere just ignores them and burns till the disc is filled, or whatever anomoly occurs.

One thing to remember is that Adobe programs attempt to play 100% by the DVD-specs. Other programs play very fast and loose with those. That is why CS4.1 can almost always work with .VOB's produced by Encore, but choke on those from many other machines and programs.

Personally, I want 100% DVD-compatibility, as I have to deliver my output to many different client-bases. I do not like returns, and have never had one in well over 1000 DVD-Videos produced. I do not want "fast and loose." If I deliver DD 5.1 SS, I want a certified DD 5.1 SS, not some hacked, or reverse engineered version, that might, or might not, work for my clients.

Good luck,

Hunt