8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2009 1:17 PM by the_wine_snob

incorrect imported frame rate cs4

ikarias

Unfortunatly my english is not as wide scaled as my duitch, so my answers may seem a bit odd. I will however do my best on this.

I recently upgraded from cs3 to cs4, and noticed that some files are imported as 23min, wich is correct, but with a frame rate of 119,something. the source monitor also displays only a hand full of frames, which bothers me, because i need something in the middle of the file :-) I noticed there are a lot of forums on this subject, but came to the ones that know best, Adobe itself.

I hope this can be solved. It's a fresh install, ae, pr and ph.

• 1. Re: incorrect imported frame rate cs4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

ikarias wrote:

Unfortunatly my english is not as wide scaled as my duitch, so my answers may seem a bit odd. I will however do my best on this.

I recently upgraded from cs3 to cs4, and noticed that some files are imported as 23min, wich is correct, but with a frame rate of 119,something. the source monitor also displays only a hand full of frames, which bothers me, because i need something in the middle of the file :-) I noticed there are a lot of forums on this subject, but came to the ones that know best, Adobe itself.

I hope this can be solved. It's a fresh install, ae, pr and ph.

Duitch, is that meant to be Dutch (nederlands) or Deutsch (german)?

What files are you talking about? DOCX, XLS, AVI, M2V?

Have a look here:  Some suggestions

Click on the link, read carefully and follow all included links as well.

With a handful of frames, and needing something in the middle, did you try your middlefinger?

• 2. Re: incorrect imported frame rate cs4
            ikarias Level 1

My bad, the problem program is premiere pro. Most of the sollutions via the link i had already tried, now, i think i had all of them, including the clean script.

Whenevr is imopt a video (avi) file with a codec higher then divx, the 23 min file shows as a 5 min or so, with 119 fps, and very long stretched scene's. I first thought it was a codec problem, disregarding the fact that it happands with divx, xvid, avc etc. So, i installed a new set of codecs. I even did a fresh install with just the divx codec. The odd thing is, every media player plays correctly.  

ps, srry for not posting screenshots, just ask, and thou shall receive.

ps2, i havvent tried the finger, because my hand is broken atm. i did yell, but that only caused visto to hang.

• 3. Re: incorrect imported frame rate cs4
              Colin Brougham Level 6

CS4 seems to have a bug when it comes to interpreting the frame rates of some imported files. For example, I had to edit some DV MOV files that were created from P2 MXF files when they were run through the "Log and Transfer" function of Final Cut Pro. The footage was originally shot in 24p, and apparently Log and Transfer creates 24p MOV files from these, but also leaves the pulldown flag embedded in the file. When these were imported into PPro, it read the pulldown flag and again removed pulldown, resulting in files that were something like 19.18fps instead of being correctly interpreted as 23.976fps. The fix is simple, though--just select the clips and go to File > Interpret Footage and set the proper frame rate.

In your case, if your files are being read as "119.something fps" and the duration is changing from approximately 23 minutes to approximately 5 minutes, that's a ratio of about 5:1. Doing the math, by dividing 119fps by 5, you get a corrected frame rate of 23.976 (or 23.98, which is probably what PPro will let you enter). Select your files and initiate the Interpret Footage process as mentioned above, and enter 23.98 as the corrected frame rate. Your files should be the proper duration and playback properly now.

(Although, if your files are Divx like your post somewhat suggests, you're going to have problems regardless. Divx is a lousy format for editing.)

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: incorrect imported frame rate cs4
                Harm Millaard Level 7

DivX is not suitable for editing. EOS. Whether your arm is broken or not is irrelevant. Use proper source material from a video camera that you shot yourself. Otherwise all bets are off.

• 5. Re: incorrect imported frame rate cs4
                  ikarias Level 1

personaly, i doubt that. No offence, but proccessor power, and compatibilaty in the software is so strong, maybe it's not the most favorable codec to use, but i dont have room for 400gig in lossless anime. i can barely hold what i need now.

OT (!!!) :the problem seems to Search continues, topic can be locked.    

tnxx fotr the advice.

• 6. Re: incorrect imported frame rate cs4
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    personaly, i doubt that.

Funny you should say that. Personally, I'm sure.

• 7. Re: incorrect imported frame rate cs4
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Harm's right, Ikarias.  Temporal compression in source media is just not a good idea.  Premiere has built in support for a couple such formats, but Divx isn't one of them.  You take your chances when using such media.

The better solution is to get more hard drive space and use I-frame only compression - DV, DVCPRO HD, Uncompressed.  Hard drives are cheap, and video editing needs lots of them,  Best to just accept that than try to get around it with too much compression.

• 8. Re: incorrect imported frame rate cs4
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

DivX is a good CODEC for delivery. It is a horrible CODEC for editing. If it Imports at all, one usually looses Audio, or Video, or both. Also, Frame Rate problems and OOS issues usually follow.

Not using that CODEC, or converting outside of PrPro, if forced to use that CODEC (handed off by the client), will be by far the best course.

Good luck,

Hunt