15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2009 10:10 AM by Doctor180185

What does this mean...

Doctor180185 Level 1

What does this mean...

After Effects AEGP Plugin Media IO Plugin

There is a mismatch between Output Module settings. Please verify your settings and try again. Property Data Invalid!

Medial02 error: 0x400e0004

Frame dimensions out of bounds.

...and how do I stop it?

It happens when I try to render an MPEG-2 file.

• 1. Re: What does this mean...
          TimeRemapper Level 4

Mpeg2 can be very finicky about frame size.

What are the composition settings of the project you're trying to render?

Did you use one of the composition presets? If so, which one?

• 2. Re: What does this mean...
            Doctor180185 Level 1

Why? Which settings should I use?

• 3. Re: What does this mean...
              TimeRemapper Level 4

That's why I asked you what settings you are using.

If you're trying to output material for NTSC brodcast, then use either the NTSC DV, or NTSC DV Widescreen presets.

(720x480 frame size 29.97fps).

If you're trying to output material for PAL broadcast, then use the PAL equivalents.

What are your comp settings?

• 4. Re: What does this mean...
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

http://aeerrors.myleniumstuff.de/?p=429

The "frame dimensions out of bounds" message is the important part.  This type of "mismatch" error message usually indicates that you have a setting in the format-specific settings that is incompatible with the settings chosen in the Output Module or Render Settings.

(Oops. I responded before I read Steve's responses. He's got you on the right track.)

• 5. Re: What does this mean...
                  Doctor180185 Level 1

I have just spent hours trying all the different comp settings. I don't know what to say. Sometimes I still get the same warning message and sometimes it works with only picture and no sound and sometimes the audio is out of sync!!

I think I've tried them all.

• 6. Re: What does this mean...
                    TimeRemapper Level 4

No problem, Todd.

Doctor, can you go to your compositions settings (Composition menu > Composition Settings...) and tell us what you currently have listed for:

• Width
                    • Height
                    • Frame Rate
                    • Pixel Aspect Ratio

How are you trying to render the movie? You are using the Render Queue, right?

Also, if you could provide system and software version information, it may be useful.

• 7. Re: What does this mean...
                      Doctor180185 Level 1

Yes I'm using the render queue.

Width - 1024

Height - 768

Frame Rate - 29.97

Pixel Aspect Ratio - Square Pixels

I'm not sure about system and software versions but that's never caused a problem with After Effects before.

• 8. Re: What does this mean...
                        TimeRemapper Level 4

Well, there's your problem.

I don't think the MPEG2 encoder likes your frame size.

Are you planning on putting this material on a DVD?

That's one of the few remaining reasons to use the MPEG2 codec.

If you are, and you're in the United States, or any other NTSC signal region, use the NTSC DV preset.

Drop your 4:3 square pixel file (1024x768) into the DV comp (720x480).

Select the layer in the DV timeline, go to the Layer menu and choose "Transform > Fit to Comp Width".

This will crop 6 pixels off of your image, but that's ok.

If you have interlaced source material, make sure that you have interpreted it and separated fields.

Then, try rendering to MPEG2 and see how you do.

• 9. Re: What does this mean...
                          Doctor180185 Level 1

Tried all that and no good.

It's widescreen for a start and I need normal screen size.

I'm in the UK and I often put my work on a DVD which is why MPEG-2 is pretty much essential.

I need a setting for an MPEG-2 file with normal screen size, clear picture and sound that's all.

• 10. Re: What does this mean...
                            yenaphe Level 4

Are you Using CS3 or CS4 ?

If you are in the UK, you are in Pal, and the frame size / frame rate should be one of these:

1024x576 25fps Square Pixel for 16/9 footage

720x576 25fps PAL Widescreen Pixel Ratio (1.2 if i remember) for 16/9 footage

720x576 25fps PAL Standard Pixel Ration (0.9 if i remember) for 4/3 footage

These values are for CS3, in CS4 they have been updated.

• 11. Re: What does this mean...
                              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As Steve and Sébastien said - your settings are out of spec. 1024x768 is a computer screen res, not one for video. the proper res is 720x576 with respective pixel aspect ratio for either 4:3 or 16:9. In your case you are lucky - you can simply create a 720x576 PAL DV comp, drop in your 1024x768 comp and use Layer --> Fit to Comp. This will produce a 4:3 comp usable for DVD output. In other cases you would have to rebuild your compositions to be compliant, so keep that in mind for the next project.

Mylenium

• 12. Re: What does this mean...
                                Doctor180185 Level 1

Nope, not working.

• 13. Re: What does this mean...
                                  jkb242 Level 1

Doc,

If the advice you have been given is not working--you may have something else in comp that is preventing you from doing what the has been offered, which is correct. In that case you may want to start over with the built-in comps that will create the glide slope you need to keep you on course so you don't mix media formats like PC with television standards/DVD.  That was it appears to me that you have done.  I too believe that is your problem. Don't mix television/DVD standards like NTSC or PAL with PC format dimensions which you have stated you are trying to achieve which is why AE is screaming NO. Round peg--square hole. 

• 14. Re: What does this mean...
                                    yenaphe Level 4

What Mpeg 2 preset are you using for rendering ?

• 15. Re: What does this mean...
                                      Doctor180185 Level 1

It's okay, through trial and lots of errors I have got it working.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Doctor ; )