4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2009 2:33 AM by yenaphe

AE video problem

AZorin.Zorin.Soft

Hi, Ive got AE CS3 and I want to put a video into a new composition. When I import my .mp4 file there are no problems, but when I drag it into my composition it shows the video in the timeline but when I try to play it it doesn't display any picture (the composition is black) and doesn't play any sound.

PLZ HELP

AZorin.Zorin.Soft

• 1. Re: AE video problem
          TimeRemapper Level 4

Your best bet is to trasncode your .mp4 to a different format before using it in AE.

Try opening it in Quicktime Pro, and export it to a self-contained movie using a codec such as "Animation" at best and fully quality.

Make sure the audio gets exported to (Linear PCM, or some equivalent, at 48khz 16-bit).

• 2. Re: AE video problem
            yenaphe Level 4

CS3 videos apps are not too happy when dealing with H264 footage, so depending on your muxing parameters it can fail to read it. I would recommand you, if you have room on your HDD, to transcode it to Quicktime Animation codec to avoid loss of quality.

• 3. Re: AE video problem
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I agree with my two colleagues - for CS3, converting is advisable. Use Quicktime Pro, ffmpeg, MPEGStreamclip, VirtualDub (with MPEG plug-in) or whatever you have at hand to generate a Quicktime file or AVI with a more conventional CoDec from your clip. Of course many of these issues can be bypassed with CS4, so if you have the time, downloading the trial and checking it out may be worth a spin.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: AE video problem
                yenaphe Level 4

For licencing reasons, the mpeg based codecs (using a third party encoder/decoder) are not available within AE trial version. So no Mpeg2 or h264 in it. Only on retail version.