6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2009 10:12 AM by SimDeep

Image file extension

SimDeep

Hi,

I have a word document with some equation created using equation editor. When I import this document in robohelp, it saves those equations as .gif image file.

I was wondering if there is any way, where we can tell robohelp, while importing word document, to save those equations as .jpg or .bmp imgae file instead of .gif.

Please help.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Image file extension
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I thought the import simply kept the original format. Can't check right now. Create a Word document with one gif and one jpg, then import that into a new project to test.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Image file extension
            SimDeep Level 1

Thanks for your reply Peter.

Intailly in word document, equation is not saved as an image. If you will double click it, it will open equation editor.

So some how when I am importing that document in robohelphtml 8, it is converting those equations as an image (exactly what we want) as .gif file.

We have hundreds of equations in our each word document, which we create through Eqution Editor, changing extension of each image (equation) in robohelp will not be very productive.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Image file extension

That surprises me. Send a Word doc with an example via my site. Please include a link to this thread in your email.

• 4. Re: Image file extension
                MergeThis Level 4

.jpg files are usually only used for photos, and .bmp files are just too darn big.

So why can't you use .gif files, anyway?

Good luck,

Leon

• 5. Re: Image file extension

Having seen the Word file sent, I can see the problem. The equations are seen in Word as an object. That is an unknown in HTML so RH is converting it to an image.

I can't see a way of stopping that but there is an alternative workflow with RoboHelp 8. You don't say which version you are using so I don't know if that is an option. For future posts, please read Before You Post as it helps us give you a better answer quicker.

RH8 allows you to link to Word documents rather than importing them. You could therefore maintain those topics with equations in Word and have a link. That would allow you to create topics in RH. When you generate the help, you would allow RH to update the topics from the source Word document.

If you don't have or can't upgrade to that, I think you are stuck with the problem. Obviously check the trial before you upgrade to be certain it suits your needs.

• 6. Re: Image file extension
                    SimDeep Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for your help, really appreciate.