16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2009 8:40 PM by the_wine_snob

No audio in Premiere Pro CS3 (Version 3)

bapf

Hi all,

when I import a MPG files originally recorded with my Sony DCR-SX camera Premiere doesn't reflect its audio, only video is available:

- Audio information aren't shown in the libary the video is important

- When I drag the file from the libary to the time line there is no piece in audio line

- When I play the file in premiere I hear no audio

That video is originally from the camera I try to play in premiere:

http://mechatronisch.de/0-tmp-files/M2U02671.MPG

Maybe there is a problem with a codec? I've xpcodecpack installed and when I play the MPG in Media Player Classic I get the following failure below. In all other players (VLC, Windows Media Player) I can see and hear the video without problems.

--

Media Player Classic could not render some of the pins in the graph, you may have the codecs or filters installed:

F:\Neu-Sony\Videocam\2009-07-18\M2U00405.MPG.AVI::Video 0

Media Type 0:
      --------------------------
      Video: MPG2 720x576 25.00fps 8587Kbps

AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
      majortype: MEDIATYPE_Video {73646976-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
      subtype: Unknown GUID Name {3267706D-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
      formattype: FORMAT_VideoInfo {05589F80-C356-11CE-BF01-00AA0055595A}
      bFixedSizeSamples: 1
      bTemporalCompression: 0
      lSampleSize: 1572864
      cbFormat: 88

VIDEOINFOHEADER:
      rcSource: (0,0)-(0,0)
      rcTarget: (0,0)-(0,0)
      dwBitRate: 8587850
      dwBitErrorRate: 0
      AvgTimePerFrame: 400000

BITMAPINFOHEADER:
      biSize: 40
      biWidth: 720
      biHeight: 576
      biPlanes: 1
      biBitCount: 24
      biCompression: mpg2
      biSizeImage: 1244160
      biXPelsPerMeter: 0
      biYPelsPerMeter: 0
      biClrUsed: 0
      biClrImportant: 0

pbFormat:
      0000: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
      0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
      0020: 4a 0a 83 00 00 00 00 00 80 1a 06 00 00 00 00 00 J.ƒ.....€.......
      0030: 28 00 00 00 d0 02 00 00 40 02 00 00 01 00 18 00 (...Ð...@.......
      0040: 6d 70 67 32 00 fc 12 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 mpg2.ü..........
      0050: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00                         ........

• 1. Re: No audio in Premiere Pro CS3 (Version 3)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

That camera is for watching, the material is unsuitable for editing, specially with a Pro application like PR. You may be better of with the free Windows Movie Maker or cheap programs like Magix or PE.

• 2. Re: No audio in Premiere Pro CS3 (Version 3)
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As Harm says, those files don't edit well... you might try again, after you find software to convert to DV AVI type 2 with 48khz sound

The section in my notes http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM about editing compressed files has more information

• 3. Re: No audio in Premiere Pro CS3 (Version 3)
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              Sony DCR-SX camera

As a general rule it's best to use consumer software when using a consumer camera, and to use a more professional camera if one intends to use professional editing software.

• 4. Re: No audio in Premiere Pro CS3 (Version 3)
                the_wine_snob Level 9

John's suggestion to convert, outside of PrPro first, is the way to handle material, that PrPro does not like to work with. It tries to convert internally, to get you the individual Frames, etc., but sometimes cannot do it. The conversion outside of PrPro is almost flawless, and just involves one step. Not only will PrPro like both the Audio and Video, but it will work much more smoothly.

Do look at John's site, because IIRC, he discusses the quality hit. Your camera has already done one to the footage and you can never get that back, but if you convert and edit, you can likely keep the quality up to its best, until you do your Export. If it's to, say DVD-Video, you will loose some more (going to MPEG-2), but you will probably be able to live with it. Just be aware of this, so you can look for it carefully.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: No audio in Premiere Pro CS3 (Version 3)
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Copy the ad2ac3dec.dll file from Encore CS3 in Program Files and paste it in the root of Premiere CS3. Fire up Premiere and first delete the imported files then reimport or start a new project.

• 6. Re: No audio in Premiere Pro CS3 (Version 3)
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Good call Ann. I had forgotten that this was CS3, and the Encore AC3 .dll "trick" still worked there, just like PrPro 2.0.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 7. Re: No audio in Premiere Pro CS3 (Version 3)
                      bapf Level 1

Thank you for the replys!

I've now tried to import and edit it with Premiere Pro 2.0 at a friend and there are no problems. I got the video and the sound!

Due to I've 50 GB of MPG files to edit from my vacation and I don't want to convert these all I will use the older version from him. It really su... that the new one doesn't support my original camera files.

Why shouldn't I use a professional software even when I used a consumer camera. I gonne do my editing in a professional way even when I don't have professional movie clips.

• 8. Re: No audio in Premiere Pro CS3 (Version 3)
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tried copying the dll?

• 9. Re: No audio in Premiere Pro CS3 (Version 3)
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Why shouldn't I use a professional software even when I used a consumer camera. I gonne do my editing in a professional way even when I don't have professional movie clips.

In theory, there is no reason to not use PrPro. However, in practice, a bit more work might be necessary to get everything working properly. Part of that "work" might be doing file conversions outside of PrPro. There is no shame in doing that.

What is meant by the comments on "pro" formats, is that PrPro is designed to work natively with them, with little additional work. Things are easy and simple. With non-pro formats, one just has to do a few other things, to get it all to work. I get handed all sorts of "stuff," and have to find ways to get it into PrPro for editing. Some is easy, and some requires a lot more work. I expect this, and charge accordingly. The trick is picking the right "tools" in the toolbox to get the material into an editable form. Workig with pro-format material is by far the best way to do it, but not the only way - so long as one is ready and willing to do the extra work. Too many just expect PrPro to handle everything, that one can throw at it. Won't happen that way.

Now, if you can do the work fine in PrPro 2.0, it is highly likely that that copy of PrPro has had the AC3 .dll added to it, as Ann suggests. This is just a bit of that "work," that must be done. AC3 Audio support is something that one had to "fiddle with," to basically patch (not an official patch from Adobe) the copy of PrPro.

As of CS4.1, more full AC3 support was added. This is a good thing, as the Encore AC3 .dll "patch" did not seem to work for most with earlier releases of CS4.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: No audio in Premiere Pro CS3 (Version 3)
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Why shouldn't I use a professional software even when I used a consumer camera.

Because there are often issues like this and things just won't work.

• 11. Re: No audio in Premiere Pro CS3 (Version 3)
                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                              Why shouldn't I use a professional software even when I used a consumer camera.

To add to Jim's comment, consider this:

You have a consumer car, like most of us. Now everybody knows that at a certain moment you need to add fuel, in order to continue driving. You can use any gasstation around the corner to get fuel, as they were laid out for consumer cars. If you tried to fill up your tank with a 'professional' filling solution, like they use in Formula 1 races, you would be able to do it much quicker but unfortunately, your consumer car is not suited for these 'professional' solutions.

The same applies here.

• 12. Re: No audio in Premiere Pro CS3 (Version 3)
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Because there are often issues like this and things just won't work.

Jim,

I do agree. Problems with non-standard formats and CODEC's do happen, and with great regularity. Sometimes, these just cannot be handled, and at time, moving on to another tool for the particular footage is to be urged.

In this case, a version of PrPro did work, though there could have been limitations. Converting the non-standard footage might address many of the problems, although "quality" will possibly be one that nothing can be done about.

If it IS just the AC3 Audio, then Ann has likely hit it squarely on the head. Should the OP come back, and decry the loss of quality, then there is not likely anything that anyone can do about it, except to recommend a better source, i.e. a better, more well-suited camera. Until then, there are methods that might save this person's Project and allow it to be edited with the tools available. If not, then we tried.

I am not arguing that a professional source and a professional editor is not the best course. You have done great research on getting the best footage to be edited for your final output. I commend you, and also envy you a bit. I get handed all kinds of "stuff" and do not get to shoot as much, as I would like. When this happens, one has to use whatever means are available to get the job done, as well as is possible.

In my case, I could probably more easily use PrE4 to edit some of that "stuff" that I get, but I dislike editing in that program. It does not flow for me and is too danged much work. Still, if I can use it to get that source material into PrPro, I feel no guilt in using my NLE of choice, even with some of the "stuff."

Now, I do not advocate restructuring PrPro to handle more, unless it is a newer, but proven format, that improves the overall quality. RED might be one of those. Still, PrPro is but a tool - one in a toolbox full of utilities and the like. Personally, if I have a particular need, I do not always grab for some Snap-on tool, especially if a Craftsman tool does a better job.

At the end of the day, it's really about getting the Project out the door, whether personal, or for a client.

Hunt

• 13. Re: No audio in Premiere Pro CS3 (Version 3)
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

I have used similar analogies many times. However, if all one has is a McLaren, and they must go to the grocery, there is a problem. However, if they have that McLaren and can find a "basket" to attach to it to transport the groceries, then it just might do - so long as they do not buy too many groceries. Hey, think about it. Imagine the faces in the car park at the Tesco, when they pull up in that McLaren!

Now, if a basket does not exist, then one might be SOL (hope I have not offended Jeff's sesibilities with that one). Let us hope that the conversion, or the AC3 .dll, is that "basket."

It is not that I disagree with using the proper tools, you know that. It is that if one only has one main tool, and it might be made to work, then there is no shame in using it - so long as one can find the right "basket."

Now, had the OP come here with venom about PrPro not being able to handle X-Y-Z formats, it would be a different thing. He/she did not, and only asked for help editing the source footage, however questionable it might be. You have the knowledge to help them find the way to make it happen, even if would never be the chosen way to create a final Project.

Hunt

• 14. Re: No audio in Premiere Pro CS3 (Version 3)
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I think using proper media for editing is the right thing to do.

I think helping people to not use proper media, however possibly it may occasionally be, is not the right thing to do.  It only encourages the continuation of the use of improper media.

Only encourage the use of proper media.  Only doscourage the use of improper media.  It's a slight varation of the whole "give a man a fish" parable.

• 15. Re: No audio in Premiere Pro CS3 (Version 3)
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Here we depart ways. If one can convert the media, then there is no problem with the tool used. PrPro is not sacrosanct. There are no laws, that say that it cannot be used of non-pro media. It would be like my saying that my Snap-on sockets can only be used on perfect SS bolts. Sorry, but holding it as sacred will not protect it from uses that you never dreamed of - regardless of how hard you try. If it's the best tool, and one prepares their less than perfect Assets, what is the harm?

I use it for all sorts of "stuff," and it has not failed me. I get no error messages, admonishing me as to the quality of my Assets. So long as it works, what damage is done?

Sorry, I just do not agree with you on this one. As stated above, if one EXPECTS that all media will be natively handled, then that is different. Trust me, if I Import some odd-CODEC's into my PrPro, it will NOT adversely affect your copy. Your capabilities will be diminished in no way.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: No audio in Premiere Pro CS3 (Version 3)
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        It's a slight varation of the whole "give a man a fish" parable.

Again, I think that you are missing the point. Are you saying that a man cannot fish, unless they have a Penn Senator with a full out-rigger setup? I cannot image that you could possibly be. If one needs to fish and only have a cane pole, and it works, what is the harm? If one does have that Penn Senator with the full out-rigger setup and they catch a pompano, instead of a trophy billfish, were they wrong to use that gear? Well, if they wish to eat, that pompano will taste mighty good, regardless of the gear that they used to catch it. Am I wrong on this?

Good luck on your next billfish expedition...

Hunt