23 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2009 12:24 PM by the_wine_snob

PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project

SoapGirl Level 1

Hi

My projects are getting fairly complicated.  Usually they are exactly one hour long.  I've begun adding picture in picture and lots of titles so I've cut the one hour project into two half hour ones to save PE7 some stress.  Because, with a one hour project it usually chokes while editing the last ten minutes.

Now I have a new experience since it PE7 repeatedly choked on a project yesterday.

The symptom is that when opening any existing project or even a new project the disk access light gets very busy and Windows Task Manager shows PE7 as not responding.

I have

Restarted

Changed Users

Created new user

Uninstalled & reinstalled PE7

created yet another user

Still, even when creating a new project with a new user on a newly reinstalled PE7 this behavior consists of an eternally busy disk and an unresponsive PE7 that is taking lots of cycles to do nothing.

How in the world can I get PE7 to behave correctly?

I'm running on XP pro with a quad core processor, 4GB ram and 1 TB Raid[0] with lots of free space.

[BTW I've been on the phone listening to elevator music with Adobe "support" for 45 minutes]

Thanks

• 1. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
          the_wine_snob Level 9

When one is having problems with almost any NLE (Non Linear Editor), this is order that they usually shake down:

1.) System - please give full details, especially how your I/O sub-system is set up. It appears that you have one stripped RAID 0 (2x 500GB HDD's), is that correct? How are they managed, software, or a hardware controller?

2.) Project - again, complete details with Presets used, etc. will be helpful.

3.) Assets - complete details will be useful. Tell us everything about your Audio, your Video and your still images, size/rez, type, etc.

With the above info, we can start to narrow things down and point you to possible fixes, or at least things to help.

Also, do you get any error messages? If so, please list them in detail, and when they occur.

There are several articles in the FAQ's section, and more in the Tips & Tricks section (to the right on the main forum page). Some of these might get you started.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you resized the photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels, per our FAQs?

And do you render the timeline regularly -- pressing Enter -- so that the red lines along the top of your timeline turn green?

• 3. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
              SoapGirl Level 1

As for disk, yes it is a Raid[0]

I created a new project with HD 1080 other than that all the defaults were taken.

Nearly all of my videos are 1080 mpeg as captured by PE7

Sound is RealTek HD

Video GeForce 8800 GTS

I think the issue is that Adobe has hosed something that didn't get unhosed when PE7 was uninstalled.

I looked through the FAQ and found nothing interesting so far.  Still looking while I hold for Adobe "support" which has thus far been over an hour listening to the most irritating little 60 second elevator music repeat ad nauseum.

This experience is sharpening my curiosity regarding Cinelerra and other Linux based open source alternatives.

Thanks

• 4. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
                SoapGirl Level 1

I don't do photos.

No I don't render regularly.  I was under the impression that only made replay in edit mode smoother.  Is there some other reason for it?

Since this erroneous behavior is happening with a totally empty project I don't think either photo size or rendering is an issue.

• 5. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

First, a single HDD (yes, it is two, but the OS sees it as one), even a fast one, will be a bottleneck in NLE work. There are so very many things being asked for at once. Also, a System disc with RAID 0 is asking for a blown system. They are much better utilized as a Media, or Export disk.

Were it my system, the first thing that I would do is add a smaller, fast physical SATA II (if possible) HDD for all OS and programs. I would use the RAID 0 for my Media, especially the captured footage (since you do not have tapes to re-Capture from, do make backups), and then another physical 1TB SATA II (if possible) HDD for my Projects and Scratch Disks. In a perfect world, I'd go with another RAID 0 for my Exports, but that is only "icing on the cake."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
                    SoapGirl Level 1

I have XP, Premiere etc on a SATA

I do not believe this issue is a hardware one.  Everything was working

yesterday.  Everything except PE7 is still working.  Even after

uninstallation and reinstallation PE7 fails.  Therefore, PE7 trashed

something that was not removed in uninstallation.  The question is, what?

• 7. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Everything was working yesterday.  Everything except PE7 is still working.

OK, I had not picked up on that before. When something works one day, but not the next, then something has changed.

First thing that I would look into would be the recent dozen, or so XP updates. These can often be installed automatically (the default setting upon installation of the OS) and the user never even knows they were added.

These have a really bad habit of breaking both the Audio and the Video drivers instantly. Now, you will probably say, "not the issue - all Audio and Video work fine." Do not be too quick. Editing is more stressful on both of those sub-systems, than playing, or anything else you can do. PrE relies very heavily on 100% support from those drivers, and will point up the slightest problem.

To rule this out, you will want to install the latest for your nVidia (for the GeForce 8800m GTX they just released a new one). Then, go to Realtek (probaby) and get their latest driver. Install both, and test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
                        SoapGirl Level 1

Let me further explain that when an existing project is opened the time line and everything appears to display normally.  Video looks just fine.

The disk light then goes very busy for as long as I care to let it run.  The max so far has been one hour before I use Task Manager to end it.

What is going on in the time after a project is displayed while the disk light is blinking?  This is where things are going wrong.

To keep folks interested I will track down any new hardware updates for video and audio.  What the heck, it is something to do while waiting for Adobe's Customer "Support" to answer the phone.  So far I've been listening to elevator music for 1 hour 45 minutes.

• 9. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          I think the issue is that Adobe has hosed something that didn't get unhosed when PE7 was uninstalled.

This could be. Number 4 in my list of three above is Bugs, but there have been few of those. Maybe you have found one, but I still think that the answer will be in numbers 1 thru 3 above.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project

You don't do photos? Didn't your first post say you added pictures and titles to a project? Maybe I'm missing something.

And, no, rendering is necessary when using non-DV files to keep the program from bogging down doing soft renders.

On the other hand, if you're having these problems with an empty project (again, I guess I'm totally confused by your initial post), then this indicates a hardware resource or operating system issue.

But since you say you have a quad core processor and lots of RAM and, apparently, hard drive space and an up-to-date operating system and Quicktime, I'm totally baffled. Unless there's something you're not telling us.

• 11. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not know if you have looked at this ARTICLE, as you are not having system crashes, or BSOD's. However, it also applies to program crashes, especially if one is not getting any error messages (do not recall seeing mention of any). There are some tips to track down clues. It could be that there will be none that are usable, but there might. I'd carefully study any links that Event Viewer provides you with - could well be a major clue in one of those.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project

BTW, how did you get a quad-core processor running XP? Is this a home-built system?

And is this XP 64-bit, by any chance? That might explain your problems.

• 13. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
                                  SoapGirl Level 1

I add additional videos.  They are typically rendered from the video in the

project.  I take a clip and make a little slo mo pic in pic.

After 2 hours Adobe Customer "Support" has disconnected.  At least I

don't have to listen to the elevator music anymore.

I don't necessarily agree with your conclusion that because it messes up on

an empty project it is an OS issue.

Generally as for bugs in PE7, I've encountered a number of "unhandled

exceptions".  As a software tester by profession I can tell you that anytime

that message appears it is a P1 bug.  NO exception should be unhandled.

Anyway, if someone has further insight, please let me know.

I will redial when I've restored my appetite for elevator music.

• 14. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm running a Quad on XP-Pro 32-bit SP3 with 4GB RAM. Now, I did have to tell Sager to do this for me, as their normal was 2GB limit on XP-Pro and also Vista (32-bit then) standard. I just contacted sales and told them to do it, as I wanted - no problem and no problems to date.

Hunt

• 15. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
                                      SoapGirl Level 1

An after thought, since this machine has not been on the internet since 8/11 and was working on 8/      I doubt that Windows updates are an issue.

I will use other machines to get updates for drivers but seriously doubt that will fix the issue.

The issue is that the project was too complex for PE7 and rather than let me know that, it hosed up some of its storage in a secret place that doesn't get cleaned up when it is uninstalled.

One of my favorite tricks to do when I'm testing for a client is to uninstall their project and see how much detritus is left behind.  Each file or folder is a new bug.  I'm betting PE7 leaves lots of stuff behind.

I will do a couple of experiments.  One, move the project to another computer.  If that works I will again uninstall Adobe PE7 and see how much detritus is left, especially in the registry.  That is where I suspect the problem lies.

BTW Adobe, since your new Studio package requires horrendous hardware, PE7 is going to get more use. It is going to get pushed harder.  Might as well do some testing in those areas.  I have lots of "Unhandled Exceptions" over the course of the last 18 months that indicate more testing should be done.  As it happens, I'm available on a contract basis.

• 16. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

As there is no Adobe presence here, beyond that little red A in the upper-left, you need to go here and fill in a Bug Report/Feature Request.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I don't necessarily agree with your conclusion that because it messes up on an empty project it is an OS issue.

Generally as for bugs in PE7, I've encountered a number of "unhandled exceptions".  As a software tester by profession I can tell you that anytime

that message appears it is a P1 bug.  NO exception should be unhandled.

Let's look at this for a moment. The vast majority of the users do not encounter these problems, and they use all sorts of Assets, in varied Projects on a broad spectrum of equipment. When they do encounter problems, it can be traced to the "Big-3" mentioned earlier. For the problem to be a Bug, it must be able to be replicated - and replicated on other systems.

Now, as we still know little of your system, except that it's good enough to handle NLE work, with few details. We know less about your Project, other than that it uses some PiP with Time Remapping in some form and that the Preset was only changed to accommodate 1080i. The Assets are still pretty grey, as well. We do know more about the "hold music," from TS. That is why I am not ready to rule out the "Big-3."

Unfortunatley, I cannot think of any other way to assist. Hope that Adobe TS can get it fixed for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
                                            SoapGirl Level 1

An update -

I talked to Adobe support!  They gave me a kb article to work through.  Unfortulately it was for Photoshop, not Premiere.

I called back and listened to elevator music for a few minutes before the connection was broken.

There was a clue still that the organizer preferences file might have been corrupted.  I tried that fix and a similar one for the actual product in question, Premiere, with no joy,

As for hardware/update details.  The system worked on 8/13.  Last time it was on the internet was 8/11.

Back into the elevator.

• 19. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                                              As for hardware/update details.  The system worked on 8/13.

Then what changed from yesterday, until today? That is likely the solution.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
                                                SoapGirl Level 1

Yes, exactly.  And what changed was that Adobe Premiere Elements 7 crashed

and could not recover.

After getting into the elevator again I was given two kb articles

kb404997

kb406241  clean script

The former is a walk through of lots of preference files, etc.  Guess I will

slog through it.  The other is about downloading cleanscript and running it

after the product is uninstalled.  Since it is specifically for CS4 it might

not work on PE7.  I'm suspecting that the Customer "Support" staff is

strongly judged on how fast they can get me off the line.

• 21. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
                                                  SoapGirl Level 1

I will take this opportunity to point out that the existence of a "clean

script" utility from Adobe strongly indicates that there is stuff that is

left behind after an uninstall.   If a total uninstall is selected by the

user and "clean script" has any affect at all, in my opinion it is

sufficient evidence of a bug.

• 22. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
                                                    SoapGirl Level 1

Catalog, Catalog, where oh where is the Catalog?

That is the short version.  Here is the longer version for those that might be following this thread.  It is a message sent to Adobe "Support"

- - -

As mentioned, I've gone through the recommended kb404997 but it failed to correct the problem.

The Adobe support person also recommended kb406241 for cleanScript.  Alas, it appears that it is for CS4.

Since another Adobe support person recommended a kb for PhotoShop let me again state that the product as issue is Premiere Elements 7.

Again, although the issue first manifested after PE7 crashed toward the end of a session and an attempt was made to open the project again, it can also be manifested simply by starting a brand new project.

The symptom is that, right after the new project appears on screen, the disk light goes really busy and when the application gui is clicked there is no response.   It seems to me that it might be in some kind of initialization file that has been corrupted.

The steps in kb404997 seem to address that issue but the problem persists.

Recalling that Photoshop Elements 6 seems to have some effect on the files that Premiere accesses and suspecting there might be some other interaction issues,

1. I uninstalled everything in the      system that had the word “Adobe” in the title.

2. Looking through the file system I      then totally removed all remaining folders and files with “Adobe”      or Premiere or Photoshop in the title.  Curiously, even after      uninstallation there were plenty of them.

3. The system was restarted.

4. Only Premiere Elements 7 was then      installed.

5. Upon instantiation, there was a      message saying that 'the catalog “Catalog” was created by a      previous version of Premiere Elements”

6. In two different attempts I      replied in the two possible directions, one accepting the old      catalog and one creating another.  In both cases the error symptoms      again manifested.

But what an excellent clue!!!!  After doing everything I could think of to be sure that there was nothing surviving the uninstall it was announced to me that the catalog “Catalog” was still around.  I suspect this file, folder or whatever, called “Catalog” has become corrupted.  I searched the entire machine for files and folders called “Catalog”  There were some there but none in any Adobe folder.

If you will be so kind as to tell me where that catalog “Catalog” is located I will rename it or delete it and I think there is a good chance of PE7 recovering.

Thanks

Janis Bridges

• 23. Re: PE7 Totally Hosed When Opening ANY Project
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As the various Adobe CleanScripts are version dependent, my guess would be that the CS4 version will not do anything for PrE 7, but I could be totally wrong on this.

Good luck,

Hunt