5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2009 12:53 PM by Gabriel Powell

Does ePub and Sony Reader work with SVG?

E_donny

Hi Adobe,

We have a book in PDF format and OeB that contains small, inline jpegs of Arabic text. It’s a book in english about arabic grammer. We would like to put this book on a Sony Reader. Is it possible to change the jpegs into SVG files or make SVG files from the PDF and would they resize with the text on the reader? Does ePub or the Sony Reader work with resizable images? Or should I just tell them they need to start over, buy an Arabic Font, do it in InDesign and export it to ePub.

Thanks,

Don Feldman

• 1. Re: Does ePub and Sony Reader work with SVG?
          Gabriel Powell Level 2

It's been a while since you posted this question, so I'm not sure if you found an answer yet. The EPUB file format supports SVG graphics, but to insert them you have to edit the EPUB file after exporting it from InDesign. You can even wrap the reference to a bitmap image in SVG code to make the image scaleable in Adobe Digital Editions and the Sony Reader. If you need more info, let me know.

• 2. Re: Does ePub and Sony Reader work with SVG?
            gaphic2 Level 1

Yes, please, Gabriel. I would like some more info on this.

I've stumbled on odd pieces of info on what ADE does and doens't support, but wouldn't it be great to have a definite list? Such as which html codes we can use in the css? 

I realise that the actual reading software on desktops or devices do not have all of ADE's display capabilities. Could you perhaps elaborate a bit on that as well?

• 3. Re: Does ePub and Sony Reader work with SVG?
              ak.bib

Do you think SVG-Notes would be possible in PDFs viewed on Sony Reader Touch Edition?

• 4. Re: Does ePub and Sony Reader work with SVG?
                Gabriel Powell Level 2

Sorry for the long delay in getting back to you on this. I've been busy! I recommend that you read the EPUB Best Practices guide for information about using SVG and the viewBox attribute for cover image and other graphics. There is some sample code listed under the heading "Cover Page and Illustrations." Here's the URL to download it:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/digitalpublishing/epubs/EPUBBestPractices-1_0_3.epub

To give you a definitive list of all the things that ADE does and does not support would be a lot of work. And it's an evolving product, so after documenting everything, things would likely change anyway. The best thing you can do is to test out your eBook to see what you can and cannot get away with. What you can be sure of is that ADE implements the EPUB standard. So I recommend reading about what the standard supports. More specifically, read this documentation on the Open Publication Structure specification, which is one of three specifications that comprises the EPUB format.  http://idpf.org/2007/ops/OPS_2.0_final_spec.html

It's important to understand that ADE supports features that other eBook readers do not. For example, it supports SWF animations and embedded fonts. However, since every eBook reader differs in what it supports, I actually recommend that you create one eBook that works for a range of eBook readers. You can create an eBook that precisely matches the capabilities of a specific reading device, but often you don't know which reading devices your eBook will be read on.

You can test your eBooks using the free Bookworm service. With this service, you can get a good idea of how your eBooks will look on a range of eBook readers. http://bookworm.oreilly.com/

• 5. Re: Does ePub and Sony Reader work with SVG?
                  Gabriel Powell Level 2

I've not tested SVG-Notes in PDFs viewed on the Sony Reader. I currently don't own this reader. Hopefully someone else can help you with this or perhaps you can test this yourself if you own it. Good luck!