6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 4:39 PM by Will Lockwood

Font Issue on render or RAM preview

scottmcfvdj

Sometimes when I render  - my font will cycle every 1 or 2 frames to some jibberish.  But when I look at still frames it is fine. Font is registered and yesterday it worked fine. What am I missing?

• 1. Re: Font Issue on render or RAM preview
          scottmcfvdj Level 1

I've attached an example.

• 2. Re: Font Issue on render or RAM preview
            yenaphe Level 4

are you on Mac or PC ? What AE version ?

On the video we can clearly see that the text changes between bold and normal.

This isreally weird, and while we try to find out what's going wrong try this:

Precomp you text (leave all attributes), and on the first frame freeze frame it and try to Ram Preview. Is it working ?

My guess is that something isn't right between your font and AE. Maybe try to reinstall it ?

• 3. Re: Font Issue on render or RAM preview
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Look at the source text property on your text layers. This very much looks like you have some closely placed keyframes there (which also store any formatting done via the text palette), which can happen when you edit text and don't properly land on already existing kexframes. Zoom in to the max, verify and delete the offending keys. Another potential reason could be accessing issues with multiprocessing renders. This is known to happen on occasion, where for some reason yet to be uncovered, BG instances suddenly resort to the first default font they can grab. Turning off MP solves this problem.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Font Issue on render or RAM preview
                aCybulska

At my job we are having this issue on several of our computers. It's really becoming a problem since we have many big projects to finish before the year is up. I am certain it is related to the MP setting, since the cadence is... 1 good frame to 5 bad frames... or sometimes 2 good frames to 4.... or any variety, always adding up to 6, which is how many cores we have and are utilzing.

This is a horrible bug and we've tried just about everything to fix it, including disabling all fonts that we aren't using... We absolutely can not disable MP though, since it would take a year and a day to finish a render and we sometimes have several renders going on several graphics stations. Has anyone a solution to this major bug?

EDIT: And we are on CS3 with Mac Pro's.

• 5. Re: Font Issue on render or RAM preview
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Have you considered Nucleo Pro in that case? It may circumvent the issue and if you need to get work done, certainly is better than waiting for CS5 or the next CS4 patches.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Font Issue on render or RAM preview
                    Will Lockwood Level 1

Can you attach the project, or send it in to aebugs@adobe.com

- attn: Will. I'll see if we can repro here at the plabt.