6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2009 5:52 PM by the_wine_snob

Can you "Turning down" the music during Videos?

Adobe1981 Level 1

I am doing a movie of an overview of my daughter's 3rd year of life.  I have a lot of photos with movies spread out here and there I may choose music that has lyrics in it and was wondering if there is a way to turn the volume down on the audio track and boost the volume on the video?

Or is it ideal to have music without lyrics in it?

Thanks,

Nik

• 1. Re: Can you "Turning down" the music during Videos?
          Kodebuster Level 3

You can adjust the Audio volume on a Video (or Audio) Track by a right-click on the Track, then adjust the Audio Gain number to your preference.

As far as lyrics, if they compliment the scene, or at least don't distract, then I'm usually okay with them...

• 2. Re: Can you "Turning down" the music during Videos?
            Adobe1981 Level 1

That looks like it will adjust the volumn for the whole audio clip...Can you do just sections of the audio?

• 3. Re: Can you "Turning down" the music during Videos?
              Kodebuster Level 3

One way to skin that cat is to use the Scissors to cut the section you want to adjust, then use the Audio Gain on just that section.

Once the Track is highlighted the Cut will take place on where the CTI (Current Time Indicator) is placed on the Track.

You can also use the Fade in/out for Audio to make the sound transition smoother at the Cut (if your goal is to take the Cut section Audio to Zero).

Fade will also be found by a right-click on the Track...

• 4. Re: Can you "Turning down" the music during Videos?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, some of this will be predicated on my personal workflow.

It's really the same in PrE, though the grouping of the Audio & Video Tracks is a bit different there, than in my PrPro. Still, I always leave my AV Audio on the comparable Audio Track. [In PrE, this will be on the corresponding Audio Track, i.e Video Track 1 will have its Audio on Audio Track 1. In PrPro, the Audio Tracks are separated from the Video Tracks, and one can Rename the Tracks to suit. I Rename Audio 1 to "AV Audio."]

All music goes onto a separate Audio Track. In PrE, the SoundTrack is a good place, but one can also use the Narration Track, or even one of the Audio & Video Track, regardless of whether there is accompanying Video, i.e. Audio Track 2, though Video Track 2 is empty.

What this does is allow me to use Window>Audio Mixer to control each Audio Track separately. It also allows for some automation (more in PrPro), that is applied at the Track-level, as opposed to the Clip-level.

At the Clip-level, one can use Keyframes on the fixed Effect>Volume, to raise and lower the Gain/Volume, as is required. I like the Audio Mixer, because it is dynamic, where Keyframes will work dynamically, but are applied statically.

The exact method one uses will probably have more to do with how they like to work. While I am very comfortable with Keyframes, I come from an analog world, before digital, so the "sliders" on the Audio Mixer are more like what I grew up with - mixing panels with sliding potentiometers. I also like the automation of the Track-level Effects in Audio Mixer.

In many of my Projects, I end up with at least one AV Audio track (often more, depending on the sources) and at least one "Music Track" (usually many more).  I'll also have several SFX Tracks, and in most cases, these will need to be adjusted separately, and also, many will overlap on the Timeline. I keep them separate, so I can address them at a Track-level, and not have to go into work on each Clip manually, via Keyframes.

Hope that this gives you some ideas, and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Can you "Turning down" the music during Videos?
                  Adobe1981 Level 1

This is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks everyone!

• 6. Re: Can you "Turning down" the music during Videos?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that the thread helped you. While the first goal is to solve user's immediate problems, those discussions often help many others. Some of these, we never hear of. They drop by, find the help and then disappear in the dark.

Thanks for letting us know that you found some useful info here.

Hunt