7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2009 9:50 PM by gprobst

Bleeding confusion....

David C Anderson Level 1

For the first time, I have designed a brochure cover in Illustrator CS4 that has some colour items that bleed over the document edge. I am printing all the colour layers of my document on an Epson 3800 inkjet printer that permits borderless printing. This works fine, but before running the pages through the inkjet printer I print all the monochrome layers on my HP LaserJet printer, as this gives sharper results for mono text.

Everything is fine, with one exception - the LaserJet feeds a blank sheet of paper after every page even though none of the mono text extends beyond the page margins. How can I stop this redundant page feeding? I'm probably doing something stupid.....

David 

• 1. Re: Bleeding confusion....
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

David,

I presume you use the PS printer driver; otherwise do.

What happens if you save as PDF and print the monochrome part from the PDF?

What happens if you copy the document and remove the bleed, and then print the monochrome part?

• 2. Re: Bleeding confusion....
            David C Anderson Level 1

Hi Jacob,
            I think that I might have resolved my problem. As previously stated, I am a total newcomer to the concept of bleeds and I had not made any bleed settings to accommodate my design (mainly because I didn't understand what the settings meant). However, after unchecking the Use Document Bleed Settings option, I experimented with a 20mm bleed on all sides in the Marks and Bleed page of the Print Dialogue box. My unwanted blank page feed has now gone though it is still a puzzle why it ever happened when no bleed items were being printed.

BTW, I am using the Postscript print driver for my LaserJet.

David

• 3. Re: Bleeding confusion....
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

David,

It may be an effect of your defining a print area (though partly empty) that extends past the printable area of the paper, so the printer is trying to be helpful and deliver everything in the print area, albeit on two pages; only you cannot see the emptiness delivered on the second page.

If so, my suggesting your saving as PDF might have circumvented the issue, or (although I doubt it) have produced the rarity of a 2 page PDF.

• 4. Re: Bleeding confusion....
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I would agree that the bleed area probably was beyond the acceptable bleed area of the HP printer or at least it thought so.

And since it was a bleed it was outside the printable area so it sent a page to cover it but it was not printable.

There is simply some wrong thinking on the part of the program engineers for the drivers to recognize that this is not a printable area so there would be no reason to print but they might not quite get that as being good programing.

• 5. Re: Bleeding confusion....
                  gprobst Level 2

Pardon my lack of knowledge of the print world, but could somebody explain how bleeds work with "borderless printing?" I think I am misunderstanding what borderless printing means. Whenever I have used bleeds with print documents, the printshop that I use has me include the crop marks and they just cut away the bleed area. If a printer prints borderless, do you circumvent having to cut the bleed area? Again, forgive my ignorance.

• 6. Re: Bleeding confusion....
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Actually that is correct. If you have document with art that fills the 

entire document size and area you would have to include extra of the 

art extended past the edges of the document when sending it to be 

commercially printed.

But if you are just going to print it to say an inkjet that prints 

borderless then it is not necessary to include the art extending past 

the edges. What happens here is that the printer driver enlarges the 

document slightly to create a bleed area for you

you ca however select minimum expansion that would not enlarge it but 

might produce a white edge if there is a small amount of paper shift 

in the printer.

If you print with the minimum expansion option then you might consider 

including  a bleed though I am not certain the technology would 

recognize your own bleeds.

• 7. Re: Bleeding confusion....
                      gprobst Level 2

Wade,

Thanks for the explanation!