20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2009 6:54 PM by Lame Tigrrrr

Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?

Lame Tigrrrr Level 1

Althought I'm new to PrPro (see my very first post, it was the that I just started using this app), premiere already ate me that anywhere I go, when it comes to video editing, I am in its belly. But still I want an explanation regarding (again) about this message that's appearing in the status bar: 'conforming ?????.mpg". I don't really understand what's this all about. A little explanation is a lot to me. But what I am concerning about this thing is, it seems to be endless. PrPro had done already on all of my assets, conforming, creating peak files, indexing, but it still keeps on doing it again and again. Is there a problem with my audio/video files?

During the first time of my use, I didn't mind. I didn't even notice it. But now I started to be concerned with it since I my pc really slows down when PrPro starts this seemingly perpetual activity. If there's a problem somewhere else please help me.

• 1. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

That is the nature of the beast. When using HDV or any other MPEG encoded source, PR needs to do that and finish doing it before you can start editing. On a slow system, that can seemingly take ages. Only two solutions to that problem are available, either restrict yourself to DV material, that does require indexing, or use a faster computer. IIRC you have a P4 @ 3.0 GHz and that is around the minimum requirements as stated by Adobe for HDV. Keep in mind that Adobe is always very optimistic with their minimum requirements. That sells better. Realistically, you have to use at least a computer that is twice as fast to be able to edit. Add to that a suboptimal disk setup, which would not be surprising on such a dated system, and your wait is indeed long.

• 2. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
            Lame Tigrrrr Level 1

You know, Harm, this is very common in our country considering its economic status, making use of what you have until it's last breath. But my machine is not on its last breaths I think.

Anyway, I can live with no matter how long shall it take for pr pro in finishing these required tasks. But the problem is, it keeps on repeating them. I have only 13 video files and almost 20 audio files I've been working with since I created my first thread in this forum, and I am very sure PrPro had already done these routines. But it seems he is in an endless loop, going back to the beginning after reaching the end.

• 3. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

What you could try is clean the media cache. That will force PR to index and conform the files again when opening the project. Have patience and wait till PR is finished. Then close the project and reopen it. Now it should not index and conform again. In some cases people have had these loops and this approach has sometimes helped. Just be sure you have enough diskspace.

• 4. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
                Lame Tigrrrr Level 1

Thanks, Harm. I'll try that and notify you if it worked.

• 5. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
                  Lame Tigrrrr Level 1

I followed your instructions, Harm. I closed the current project I'm working with and deleted the Media Cache Files Folder, reopened the project and let PrPro finish what it was doing. I didn't touch anything until it finished with all my assets. But when I saved my project it did the same thing again from the beginning. You know, it's not dificult to take note of the file PrPro is working with this indexing, conforming and etc because my files are named like this: mass1.mpg, mass2.mpg, and so on. My audio files are also named that way because most of it were just extracted from those mpg files.

Now, as I'm typing this, PrPro is again at it.

• 6. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

That's a bummer. I hoped that would help. Can you identify which file it is, that causes this erratic behaviour? If so, when you  rename the file  in Explorer and skip the file upon opening, does the rest of the project open without problems? The file not found will be showing 'Media offline'. It this works as decribed here, try recapturing the offending clip.

• 7. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
                      Lame Tigrrrr Level 1

I have no problem in opening my project. Even with that becoming annoying behaviour, my project loads succesfully. But right after it is loaded, PrPro does that, not only with some files but all my mpeg and audio filesconforming, indexing and creating peakfileand not only after loading my project but until I close my project.

• 8. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Last resort before I'm out of options to help you. Create a new project and import the existing project into this new project. In the project panel this will create a bin that contains your imported project. Open the bin and double click the sequence in that bin to open the timeline.

I hope this will solve it. Otherwise I'm out of ideas for the time being and it being a weekend, Adobe TS is not available. That is what always seems to happen if you need them most.

• 9. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
                          Lame Tigrrrr Level 1

Thank you, Millard. Maybe I'll bear with that for a while since this is my last day of doing this project becase this will be picked up anytime next week. What's happening now is just another problem that, when solved, will surely contribute to the arsenal of solutions PrPro users, beginners and pros, has right now. Whatever PrPro is doing, I'll just pair it with patience as I can still do my editing even with that kind of trouble.

• 10. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Did you notice that you make the same mistake as one of our regulars here, the_wine_snob, otherwise known as Bill Hunt, in leaving out one 'a' in my last name? I'm not offended but wonder if that is a human trait to not overdo it and two 'a'-s may be too much?

BTW, I once met a Colonel John Millaard (US Army) who was no family, at the Royal Palace in Brussels, when we were both introduced to the Belgian Royal Family.

• 11. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

Did you notice that you make the same mistake as one of our regulars here, the_wine_snob, otherwise known as Bill Hunt, in leaving out one 'a' in my last name? I'm not offended but wonder if that is a human trait to not overdo it and two 'a'-s may be too much?

Harm, I think it might just be because everyone has in mind their favorite Whig Party member who was president but never elected so, Millard Fillmore.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7e/Millard_Fillmore.jpg/456px-Millard_Fillmore.jpg

Sorry, this had nothing to do with anything

• 12. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
                                Lame Tigrrrr Level 1

Hey, anybody help, please. I'm already at the end of my project, supposedly at the final touches. But still I am agonizing with this problem. Premiere is still at it for the nth time, conforming, indexing and...

These are my video files:

1. wedding gown and barong.mpg
                                2. makeup.mpg
                                3. mass1.mpg to mass7.mpg
                                4. reception1.mpg to reception3.mpg

And my audio files are the 13 soundtracks of those 13 mpg files + some other mp3 and wav files.

As far as I know, all of them has already been, indexed, conformed and peak files created but Pr keeps on doing in again and again.

• 13. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
                                  CINEMALEXZIKON2

DID you ever get this resolved? I am at the same point. The files index fine on my older duo core PC, but ony my quad core PC, the indexing never ends. Have you tried converting all your mpeg files to AVI? That seems to be my last resort.

• 14. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
                                    Lame Tigrrrr Level 1

The last time I came to face w/ this problem was when I'm doing my first project. Yeah, it really pissed me off, indexing, creating peak files and conforming my media perpetually--literally! It took my patience into test.

But, since I captured my video directly from my dv video cam to PrPro thru firewire, I finally got myself freed from the trouble. If ever I get into that problem again, maybe I really had to just live with it until my project is done.

I don't know if it's a bug in PrPro. Anyway, I've got some suggestion here (I wish Adobe TS will put this into consideration):

1. Write a code that will save information which assets have already been indexed, conformed and which peak files were already created so that it won't do it again every time you open the project or add a new asset

2. A code that will detect changes in your assets to determine which of them needs to be re-indexed, re-conformed, etc.

3. A code that will give the user an option to re-index & re-conform his/her assets.

Anyway, thank you CINEMALEXZIKON2 for mailing me. It brought me back to the forum after a long time.

• 15. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

1 and 2 are done.  If your system doesn't behave that way, something is wrong.

3 can't be done because Premiere needs those files to work with the media.  The user has no choice in the matter.

• 16. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
                                        Lame Tigrrrr Level 1

Thanks for the information, Jim. Like I've said, I am no longer having that problem since I installed a firewire on my pc that enabled me to do a digital conversion of my video tapes from the dv cam to pc.

Anyway, can you reply to this post (http://forums.adobe.com/post!reply.jspa?thread=511815)?

• 17. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I resemble that comment! Harm, you have to realize that I am from Mississippi, and everyone is known as Billy Bob, Joe Bob, or Bubba. We had no Harm Millaards - too many double vowels and consonants for us. At least this helped, when I signed up for a bunch of X-rated sites, as Harm Millard...

OK, where were we? LameTiger (check that spelling, as I think I got it wrong again and apologize profusely), when one has non-standard footage, three thing need to happen: the files need to be indexed, the Audio must be Conformed (CFA files) and the Waveform Display (PEK) files must be created. Depending on the number of files, their Duration and one's computer's speed this can take from moments, to maybe 20 mins.

If you have not just loaded up this Project, then gone for a cup of coffee, or tea, I urge you to do so. There is a tiny progress bar in the very lower-right of the GUI, that traces this. Let it happen, and be patient. I know that this sounds like a scene from the Karate Kid, but it's important. Many systems will crash, if one tried to do anything, before this process completes. I can work (albeit slowly), during the process. Many cannot.

Now, if you HAVE patiently waited this process out, and it has completed, AND the next session yields the exact same thing, then something is not quite right. Could be files getting moved, deleted, or otherwise not available to PrPro, or some setting in one's Scratch Disks, or some other problem.

Hope that a bit of patience, and a cup of Darjelling helps. Please let us know.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            Like I've said, I am no longer having that problem since I installed a firewire on my pc that enabled me to do a digital conversion of my video tapes from the dv cam to pc.

Great, but now I wonder why this thread surfaced. I see no recent posts. It's a "zombie," returning from the dead, just in time for Halloween. Maybe I missed a date, or maybe a dozen replies, that do not show up for me.

BTW - I see that the multiple consonants got me again - Lame Tierrr. See, it's just me. Harm is right...

Hunt

• 19. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
                                              Lame Tigrrrr Level 1

Someone asked me if I "ever get this resolved" and he is on the same point (http://forums.adobe.com/post!reply.jspa?message=2333832) and I just replied him.

• 20. Re: Confirming, indexing, creating peak file. What's this all about?
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Now I see the reason for the zombie thread. A second look showed more replies, than when I started here. Must be that Halloween is near.

Now, your link is there, but the ability to click it is compromised. Something (maybe the "?") got in the way. Still, a cut-n-paste did work, and I commented. Others need to copy the full URL and then navigate to your new thread.

Maybe it's me, the phases of the Moon, or the approach of Halloween, but this forum is getting wonky, and has been for two days.

Good luck,

Hunt