6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2009 9:47 AM by JayJhabrix

Kind of milky layer...

JayJhabrix Level 3

Sorry if the topic head is a bit vague but that's what it seems like... Someone sent me an .ai file and here's the problem:

problem_01.png

If you look at the image, the two green buttons have identical colour values of  79, 4. 100, 0 but the lower one has a milky cast. The upper is a bullet. The lower is a filled circle.

The tiff file below (original) also seems to have some kind of a muted cast...

problem_01a.png

The original file was created in AI CS2 Mac. I am using AI CS3 Windows.

Cheers...

JJ

• 1. Re: Kind of milky layer...
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Jay,

Are you sure, the milky one does not have opacity < 100?

The other one, is that the green square, and is it fading to the right? In that case, it may be an opacity mask with a gradient).

• 2. Re: Kind of milky layer...
            JayJhabrix Level 3

Jacob...

Mmmph... I don't think i like you very much... Your answer was bang on! It was a transparency setting! But why on earth the Art Director would want to set it to 40% i can't imagine!

Regarding the second problem, the green square is not the issue. It's the image itself... checked opacity there... ok...100%.... but that and other images on other files are looking a bit 'subdued'. However, now that i have a pointer, will have a better starting point to troubleshoot.

Many thanks Jacob!

Cheers...

JJ

• 3. Re: Kind of milky layer...

Should I say sorry or welcome, Jay?

My guess is that the Art Director got carried away somewhere in the process and forgot to deliver consistency.

I am still pondering over the meaning of subdued in this context. Can you elaborate?

• 4. Re: Kind of milky layer...
                JayJhabrix Level 3

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Should I say sorry or welcome, Jay?

I am still pondering over the meaning of subdued in this context. Can you elaborate?

Well, it's like the pix have no contrast...  The originals are fine... it's just that, in AI, the imported / linked / embedded image is kind of flat as per the example i posted.

Edit: Typo of IE replaced by AI

• 5. Re: Kind of milky layer...

Jay,

Well, it's like the pix have no contrast...  The originals are fine... it's just that, in AI, the imported / linked / embedded image is kind of flat as per the example i posted.

Venturing, not having seen both: Are you sure it is not a question of conversion from RGB (original) to CMYK (Color Mode in Illy)?

• 6. Re: Kind of milky layer...
                    JayJhabrix Level 3

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Venturing, not having seen both: Are you sure it is not a question of conversion from RGB (original) to CMYK (Color Mode in Illy)?

Actually, have been a bit preoccupied and lazy... will check and revert...

Cheers...

JJ