13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2009 10:36 PM by Jim_Simon

Processor usage during export - ?

djfoster5

Anyone else having this issue?

Premiere CS3 uses only about 25% of available processor resources when exporting to an AVI.  So a 4 minute project (with one layer of background video, two layers of text slides, one simple mask layer, and one audio layer) is taking about 30 minutes to export.  I am running a brand new Intel Core 2 Quad with 4 GB of ram, so I have plenty of horsepower.  It's just not being utilized.

I noticed a significant increase in export times between CS2 and CS3 - can anyone confirm?  Anyone find any ways to increase Premiere's resource usage?

• 1. Re: Processor usage during export - ?
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Number 1 get Premiere CS 4.1  It is much faster

Number 2 is to get a faster disk system.  AVI encoding is an extremely disk intensive operation and almost no CPU dependence   What do you have?

Number 3 is (if you have rendered the time line) to check the "Use Preview Files"  (Is this an option in CS3??? I do not remember.)

Number 4 (only if you have CS4.1), is unless you have a very fast unfragmented C: drive do not render directly from Premiere.  Close Premiere and open AME.

I have 2 minute sequence of standard definition DV that renders in 3 seconds with CS4.1, a 500 MB/s RAID 0 array when I use the render files and using AME direct from the project file on the RAID 0 array. It happens so quick I duplicated it ten times to catch this performance.  The CPU utilization ran between 40-60% on 8 cores.

AVI Encoding.jpg

• 2. Re: Processor usage during export - ?
            djfoster5 Level 1

Hi, thanks for the input, Bill.  Sorry to pepper you with more questions, but ...

1. I'm sure I will at some point but can't afford it yet.  So I'm stuck with CS3 for a little while.

2. I am running two IDE drives and one USB 2.0 drive.  Do you have a separate drive for scratch disks and separate one for project files, each separate from your system drive?  Are you RAID drives IDE or SATA?

3. I don't see the option for using render files - do you find that option in AME or in Adobe preferences?

4. Maybe I don't have something that you have - I do have Adobe Media Encoder but am unaware of a way of opening it outside of Premiere.  IFrom within my Premiere project i use FILE/EXPORT/ADOBE MEDIA ENCODER.

David

• 3. Re: Processor usage during export - ?
              djfoster5 Level 1

Hi, thanks for the input, Bill.  Sorry to pepper you with more questions, but ...

1. I'm sure I will at some point but can't afford it yet.  So I'm stuck with CS3 for a little while.

2. I am running two IDE drives and one USB 2.0 drive.  Do you have a separate drive for scratch disks and separate one for project files, each separate from your system drive?  Are you RAID drives IDE or SATA?

3. I don't see the option for using render files - do you find that option in AME or in Adobe preferences?

4. Maybe I'm missing something about AME - I do have Adobe Media Encoder but am unaware of a way of opening it outside of Premiere.  From within my Premiere project I use FILE/EXPORT/ADOBE MEDIA ENCODER.

Any advice you have will be received gratefully!

David

• 4. Re: Processor usage during export - ?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

CS3 is different from CS4. So is AME, massively so. So questions 3 and 4 do not apply to CS3.

2. That is the best approach. IDE is slower than SATA and modern motherboards often do not even offer IDE connectors anymore. IDE is rapidly becoming extinct. So on modern systems SATA is the common denominator, at least for consumers. The number of people here with 6G SAS SFF disks is negligent.

In addition to Bill's remarks, the simple answer is, your CPU's are waiting for your disks. If your disks are too slow, the CPU's will be idle.

• 5. Re: Processor usage during export - ?
                  djfoster5 Level 1

Thanks for that info.  One of the things I'm trying to figure out is (assuming I go to all SATA disks for best performance - excluding SCSI) how to set up the disks and how many.  Would you set up one for project files and one solely for scratch disks - both separate from the system drive?  And if you were exporting would you export to the project drive or the system drive?  Or would that matter?

• 6. Re: Processor usage during export - ?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Have a look here, and specifically at the storage guide, which will help answer your questions:

How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

• 7. Re: Processor usage during export - ?
                      djfoster5 Level 1

Thanks, that's quite helpful!

• 8. Re: Processor usage during export - ?

Now just remember that you specifically were asking about encoding to AVI.  That is highly disk intensive.  When you go to something like encoding to MPEG you have just the opposite it is extremely CPU intensive.

To answer one of your earlier questions my RAID array uses SAS 15,000 rpm disks.  This is not what I would do again as it is not cost effective.  I would definitely go with maybe a few more SATA disks if I had to start all over.  It was a very expensive but very great perfoming experiment.

• 9. Re: Processor usage during export - ?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          2. I am running two IDE drives and one USB 2.0 drive.

Stepping back upthread a bit, I'd ONLY use any USB 2.0 drive for the archival storage of Assets and NOT use it anywhere in your I/O sub-system for ANYTHING involving editing.

This probably does not need to be said, as the thread has progressed in the right direction with the recs. on SATA II's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Processor usage during export - ?
                            djfoster5 Level 1

All of this is quite enlightening.  I had no idea there was a big difference between encoding AVI and MPG.  So I tried using an MPG format from Adobe Media Encoder and found that it exported quite quickly - about 2-3 minutes - and that my CPU usage went up to about 60% during the process.  But the resulting video did not look nearly as good blown up on a 12 foot screen.  So if I'm understanding you correctly ... assuming that I have enough processing power the only way to speed up AVI encoding is to speed up disk access?  Meaning, in my case, going to SATA drives and away from IDE and USB.

• 11. Re: Processor usage during export - ?

And then check the performance with a disk test like HDtach to make sure you have things set up correctly.

• 12. Re: Processor usage during export - ?
                                MarceloAndr

have PremierPro 4 running on a Dell Precision T7500 64 bit Windows XP workstation with Nvidia Quattro 3800. I am encoding a file with the 8 processors (W5580) running at 100% during the last 2 hours and it says the time remaning is more 2 hours..... My question is if I would have any improvement upgrading to Vista? Thanks Marcelo Andrade

• 13. Re: Processor usage during export - ?
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Three things:

It is false to say that encoding to AVI is more disk intensive than CPU intensive.  That will depend heavily upon what sort of AVI you're making.  A DV export from DV media with no effects will require very little CPU power and be largely disk dependant.  A Lagarith AVI from HDV with lots of effects will be much more CPU dependant.

Second, there's just no way the disk system is causing a 5 minute video to take half an hour to render.  Hell, a floppy drive over USB 1.0 could do it faster than that.  This export is definitely CPU dependant, and time exporting will have little or nothing to do with the disk setup.

Third, not all effects and exports will use 100% of your CPU during render/export.  This applies even to CS4.1.  In this case, your exports are what they are, and there's little you can do to speed them up but get an even faster CPU.  Of course, even that one won't be pegged at 100%.