2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2009 12:33 PM by Marlene

Flex filterFunction search

Marlene

I posted this at experts-exchange but after 3 hours i did not get a response so apparently I am double posting and apologize.

I am using Flex 3 with an ArrayCollection of 120 stores as my dataProvider for a datagrid. I want the user to be able to type in part of a store name in a text input box and  then have a filter function return the available stores containing those characters and continue to refine the search as the user types more letters or until they have chosen the store. I think I am supposed to use a regex expression but after a couple of hours of studying and experimenting I am very confused and might be making a mountain out of a molehill. I understand the  filter function when it compares exact names using the == comparision operator.  In plain English  I think what I am looking for is a comparison operator that says "contains" as opposed to "equals". I have also looked at the autocomplete component but again i am more confused. If someone can point me in the right direction I would so appreciate it.