5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2009 2:24 PM by Harm Millaard

Raid Configuration

I am considering a raid 10 for cs4 - should the boot drive and software be on the raid or on a seperate boot drive?

• 1. Re: Raid Configuration
          Harm Millaard Level 7

What do you want to achieve? How many disks with what size on what controller? What cache size is used on the controller, do you have a BBM? Why Raid10 and not another raid?

• 2. Re: Raid Configuration
            tommytmt Level 1

I want to achieve speed. Using Intel ICH10R Southbridge controller with three 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3.0Gb.  I was going to use a 500g drive as the boot drive and a Raid 0 for the assests (scratch disk).  I was told to consider a Raid 10 stripping 2 disks and the 3rd for backup.  I am really looking for the best set up for premiere pro cs4.

• 3. Re: Raid Configuration
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Nonsense. A Raid10 requires 4 disks so that is not possible.

Raiding with only 3 disks available (apart from the OS disk) makes no sense. You are better off with one disk for OS & programs, one disk for media and one disk for pagefile, scratch and projects and the last one for exports and backup of important files.

• 4. Re: Raid Configuration
                Harm Millaard Level 7

I had a whole story written with all explanations and arguments and upon posting it, the fabulous Jive software gave me the jives with an unexplained error and no way to retrieve what I had written. Hence my short remarks previously.

I'll try again.

Raid10 requires at least 4 disks. In your setup you don't have enough disks. You can however use a raid1, which implies using 2 disks, one for data storage and the other one for an exact duplicate of these data, thereby reducing effective storage from 2 TB to only 1 TB. Why would anyone consider that for media, which can be imported or recaptured again in case of disk failure? Very costly and not effective, it seems to me. Why would you then consider using another drive as backup, when the raid1 already contains a backup? It makes no sense.

The whole story told to you was done by someone who has heard about raids but just does not understand them well enough to advise you adequately.

Raid10 is comprised of two raid1's that are striped as if it were a raid0. Therefore the minimum is 4 disks. Raid10 is great if:

a. you have lots of money (they are very expensive)

b. you are really in a serious mess if you lose the data on the array and have no other way to get them back

c. you can't afford any downtime

I personally have a 12 disk array for my media, but that is configured as 2 raid3 arrays of 6 disks each, that are striped to form one raid30 array, resulting in an effective 10 TB storage capacity, where each of the two arrays can have one disk failure without losing any data at all. That is secure enough for me.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Raid Configuration
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

One other remark. You said you were interested in speed. Raid1 will not give any speed improvement, raid0 will give you a speed improvement at the loss of redundancy, hence the name AID0 would be better and you have the risk of losing ALL data if any of the disks in the (R)aid0 fail.

For some further info, look here: http://www.raid.com/04_01_10.html

1 person found this helpful