12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2009 4:00 PM by A.T. Romano

Having trouble with DVD Video files. Please Help! :)

Rich_P7 Level 1

Hi I recently got a film DVD I wanted to take a clip off. However although I can watch the section I want in Windows Media Player, when I import the film into Premiere - some of it is missing! there are 4 files '4-1',4-2','4-3',4-4' which make up the movie. I can load them all in but 4-3 is missing the last 15-20 minutes, even though I know its there - cos this file is the same size as the previous one which is full length. Does anyone know why this would be? The DVD is unencrypted.

Please help - its quite annoying that the small section of film I want is the bit that won't appear! Thank you very much

Rich

• 1. Re: Having trouble with DVD Video files. Please Help! :)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rich,

Here are two articles, that might give you some help. The first is from the FAQ section, and the second is from the Tip & Tricks section.

I'm also going to throw in an ARTICLE from the Encore forum on ripping from DVD's. Though written for Encore and also some time back, there are some really good workflow solutions in it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Having trouble with DVD Video files. Please Help! :)
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Rich P7

I have read through the links that Hunt posted to help you with your issue. Maybe I read too fast, in that case, just file the following comment if it was included in those links.

Have you ruled in or out the possible that DVD-VIDEO or segments of it may be protected. The Premiere Elements Media Downloader will not rip VOBs from protected DVD-VIDEO and, if it should, it is useless and trouble prone.

ATR

• 3. Re: Having trouble with DVD Video files. Please Help! :)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Forgot to ask....have you tried converting the VIDEO_TS VOBs to DV AVI, using a free program such as the free program MPEG Streamclip, followed by bringing the DV AVI version into Premiere Elements (Get Media/Files & Folders)?

ATR

• 4. Re: Having trouble with DVD Video files. Please Help! :)
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Based on this one line:

The DVD is unencrypted.

I was assuming that it was not protected. However, as you point out, some aspects might be, and the OP might not be completely aware of this.

If there is protection, I strongly urge anyone to respect that, regardless of their intended use of the material. Copy protection is there for a very good reason. Regardless of what one might be able to do, they should be 100% ethical, and honor any/all copy protection. This is true for material from a videographer, or from a commercial studio. Should you need to use the material in such a DVD-Video, you should contact the author to get first permission, and then the original source material, that has not undergone the MPEG-2 compression to DVD-Video.

Again, I assume that the OP knows that this is NOT an issue, and will not figure into the problem. In that case, all above does NOT apply in this case, but some other reader might make note of it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Having trouble with DVD Video files. Please Help! :)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

I do not recall all of the utilities mentioned in the links that I furnished, but if MPEG Strealclip is not in there, it is a very good suggestion and might well handle all of the OP's needs, solving the problem.

Good addition,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Having trouble with DVD Video files. Please Help! :)
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

That MPEG Streamclip is a quick, easy, and effective technique for doing the job as indicated. Oh, also it is a free download.

http://www.squared5.com/

My biggest hang up with the MPEG Streamclip was the decision about the MPEG2 Playback Component that is required.

You have two options:

1. Everything free, MPEG Streamclip + Quicktime Alternative which includes the MPEG2 Playback Component BUT you need uninstall your regular Quicktime.

2. Keep your regular Quicktime, download your free MPEG Streamclip, but buy the MPEG2 Playback Component from Apple (I think that you can do that online for approximately $20 US dollars.)

It was not a hard decision for me. I went the completely free route and paid for it in time lost because the regular Quicktime resisted being uninstalled. I finally blasted it off the computer, and the story had an acceptable conclusion.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Having trouble with DVD Video files. Please Help! :)
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

Thanks. That refreshes my memory about MPEG Streamclip. I've never needed it, nor have I used it, but many sing its praises. I had forgotten about the QT Alternative aspect - but do now recall the discussions.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Having trouble with DVD Video files. Please Help! :)
                        Rich_P7 Level 1

Thank you very much for all the help - it is much appreciated. I am just in quickly tonight, but I will come back tommorrow. I did do a check on DVD using DVD encrypter and it said it was unencypted. Also it would be strange just to encrypt a small section of a film - its not an official DVD - its an old film form 1967 which never got a DVD release, but I managed to get a DVD of it from the net.

I think from reading quickly some of Hunts links I probably need to try and rip a MPEG file from the VOB file. I do normally use VOB files with all the films I have used before and they always work fine.

I will come back tommorrow when I have more time - have to go entertain friends

Thanks again

• 9. Re: Having trouble with DVD Video files. Please Help! :)
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          I do normally use VOB files with all the films I have used before and they always work fine.

When the .VOB's are 100% DVD-compliant, they do work fine.

Considering the history of this DVD, it is probably "home grown," and is likely a DVD directly from a VHS tape. The common machines that do this are notoriously bad at forming the .VOB's. Also, they usually have some rudimentary menuing scheme, and these cause real issues. Ripping will likely get you going with this material.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Having trouble with DVD Video files. Please Help! :)
                            Rich_P7 Level 1

Thank you very much for all teh help. Sorry I have taken a while to do this but I lost my connection in the week and have been busy catching up.  Ok I used Stream Clip to convert to a MPEG and it worked fine when it was imported into Premiere elements - very pleased it worked! Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions

Rich

• 11. Re: Having trouble with DVD Video files. Please Help! :)
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Rich,

Thanks for reporting, and glad that you got the Project handled, plus your connection back.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Having trouble with DVD Video files. Please Help! :)
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Rich

Ditto. Glad that worked for you.

ATR