24 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2009 7:04 AM by the_wine_snob

Why are my video clips out of order

alaskalover08 Level 1

We successfully figured out how to capture the video from our camcorder to Premiere Elements 7. However, the clips were not in the correct order. Any idea why this happened. We redid the capture in hopes it would be correct the second time, but it was still out of order. This is the first time we are using this program and we are confused and frustrated. Any ideas how to avoid this problem in the future? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, I am assuming that you are doing your Capture with Scene Detection on, and that you are Capturing from within PrE from miniDV tape, via FireWire. Is this correct?.

When you say that the Captured Clips are not in order, do you mean that, based on the tape's TimeCode, your incremented Captured files are say, 001 actually after 002 on the tape, or something else?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
            alaskalover08 Level 1

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately I do not know how to answer your questions. We are novices at this and we are not familiar with all the video making vocabulary. In the end we selected Insta Movie and then everything was in the correct order. We managed to burn several successfully. One did end up freezing when we tried to play it. Others were perfect. We used the same DVD brand discs, so not sure why this happened. If you have any ideas we would appreciate knowing what the problem might be. Thanks

• 3. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I am not sure how Instant Movie figures into this, but so long as you got what you were looking for, then it's good news.

Now, for the DVD brand quesion. What brand did you use? Some, like Memorex can contain several different brands in the same spindle, even though they all say Memorex on the label. One may get five good ones, and then five bad ones, all in the same spindle.

I strongly recommend either Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden. Many other brands are just not worth the $'s, as one often ends up with dozens of DVD-Videos, that do not play in set-top players. This ARTICLE might give you some pointers.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                alaskalover08 Level 1

Thanks again for you help. We are using Philips brand DVD-Rs. We used to use Verbatims but ran out and bought a this brand. Thanks for the link. I will read it and buy a different brand and try that. Thanks again for helping us out.

• 5. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not know the Phillips brand, so cannot comment on them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                    alaskalover08 Level 1

I read the link; that was very informative. We will go out and buy some Verbatims before we burn anymore. When you suggest buying a slow speed DVD, can you please tell me what number that would be. My Phillips are 1-16x speed. What should I be looking for with the Verbatims? Sorry, but I am new to all this. Thanks still again.

• 7. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE has one limitation. It will average the speed of the media, and that of the burner, choosing the fastest of that average. Other burning programs, like ImgBurn (freeware) will allow one to set the slowest speed possible, regardless of the media and the burner. It is very likely that you can get down to 2x, or 2.4x for the burn. If only using PrE, I strongly suggest the slowest speed media available - whatever that might be. Speed is the enemy of DVD-Video burning, as I pointed out in the article. A better burn is a slow burn. Next to the choice of the media, it is right behind on the list of getting a good burn for set-top players. Go slowly and it will be as good as that media can deliver.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                        alaskalover08 Level 1

If I get the freeware software you mentioned, how does it integrate with Premiere Elements so I pick the speed? When I go to burn the DVD in Premiere Elements where will I find the choice of speeds?

• 9. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE can Burn to Folder, with the correct format. One would then use the stand-alone ImgBurn to physically burn the DVD-Video.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                            alaskalover08 Level 1

We currently have the NTI CD and DVD Maker Program on our computer. It looks like I can burn at 4x speed. Would this be adequate or do you still recommend your freewae program to attempt a 2.4x burn speed?

• 11. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                              alaskalover08 Level 1

This may seem elementary, but I need to ask as some of this is foggy to me. To use your freeware program or my NTI program I would  need to find the file folder my project is in, correct? I would not need to somehow make a new file name and location for it would I?

• 12. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry, but I do not know this program, and cannot comment. I use Adobe Encore for about 90% of my authoring and burning, and then ImgBurn for that last 10%, when needed. Your program might well be perfect, but I've never used it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As I do not know the NTI program, I can only address what I do know.

In PrE, one has a choice of burning to a disc, or burning to a folder. If they are using ImgBurn to do the physical burn, then in PrE, they would Burn to Folder. This will create a VIDEO_TS folder (located where one directs it), with the proper folder structure. Then, they would launch ImgBurn and point it to the VIDEO_TS folder, and to the burner. They would make the settings, like burn speed, and DVD name, and then Burn. Done. I always add Verify to the mix, to check the burned disc.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                                    alaskalover08 Level 1

Thanks for all of your help. We will start with purchasing some new DVDs and see what happens. I think I understand what you are saying and if we have any more freezing issues I will try to burn from the file. Thanks again for being so generous with your time to explain all this to me.

• 15. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                                      alaskalover08 Level 1

So, you do not ever burn direct from you project to your DVD using Premiere Elements?

• 16. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                                        alaskalover08 Level 1

Would these disks be a good choice?

Verbatim DVD-RW 2X 4.7GB/120Min

• 17. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Verbatims are some of the most consistently high quality DVDs on the market.

Just a warning though about RW discs. They're great for doing test-burns of your DVDs -- but not all DVD players can play them.

In other words if, after you burn your DVD on the RWs, you have problems with playback on your TV, it's probably because you're using DVD-RWs instead of DVD-Rs.

• 18. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            So, you do not ever burn direct from you project to your DVD using Premiere Elements?

I do not, but most users do. For most of my work, I use PrPro for editing, and then all authoring is done in Adobe Encore. Now, you can think of it like the authoring functions in PrE, but on steroids. Most of my DVD-Video burning is done from Encore. Sometimes, especially with DVD-9's, I'll use ImgBurn, because of the way that it handles Layer Breaks. I also use ImgBurn for disc to disc copying and also for burning from ISO's, when needed.

Were I useing PrE for most of my editing, I would also use it for most burning - so long as everything worked on my system.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                                              alaskalover08 Level 1

Thanks Steve. I didn't notice they said RW. I was just looking for something in a slower speed. I will get the regular Verbatims. Hoping to go out shopping today.

I have your Muvipix.com guide to Premiere Elements 7 and we are slowly working our way through the process. I am gong to Defrag the harddrive now too. Forgot about doing that. Just didn't know why one of the DVDs froze while the others seem to be working fine. Will figure it out I hope.

• 20. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Verbatims are great discs. However, as Steve has mentioned, any RW type is best used for testing. I use them for this purpose for almost all of my Projects. The one thing to remember is that any RW is much better for internal testing, and NOT delivery. Many set-top players (and some DVD drives in computers) have issues playing any RW at all. Now, for my testing, all of my players and drives do handle the RW's, but I still never deliver these to any client, because of the potential for incompatibility.

For "delivery," I recommend either the +R, or the -R. There used to be compatibility issues with these, in that some older players liked -R's, while some liked +R's. With most modern players, it has almost become an "either - or" situation. However, keep in the back of your mind that if you do, say a -R, and someone has an issue, it might well be that their player likes the +R's - and vice versa. I keep some of each, normally burn on +R's, and have yet to have a return. I still have -R's handy, should I.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                                                  alaskalover08 Level 1

It seems that within the Verbatim disk "family" there is quite a range of prices.

Are these a good choice?

Verbatim 95355 4.7 GB 8X UltraLife Gold Archival Grade DVD-R

• 22. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, those are about as good as it gets.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - you're up early in Alaska... or up late!

• 23. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                                                      alaskalover08 Level 1

LOL!!!! I live in the Eastern Time Zone, just happen to be an Alaska Lover who wishes she could go back. Not in the budget though for this year.

Thanks for the info. My son says he has some of those and will bring them over. The DVD we made for him is the one that froze. I think we will use these good disks, especially for the ones that need to be sent to England. Thanks again for all your help. Going to Defrag the harddrive now.

• 24. Re: Why are my video clips out of order
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Eastern Time Zone - hey, no fair! I got up early in Arizona, to answer your replies!!!!

Even with the good Verbatim discs, and their 8x speed rating, I would still use PrE to Burn to Folder first. This will create a single folder, VIDEO_TS, where you direct it. I always place these into a new folder with my Project Name. Within that VIDEO_TS folder will be the necessary files for the DVD-Video. Once done, exit from PrE. Launch ImgBurn and let it survey your system for burners. When done, just click on Write files/folders to disc, and add that VIDEO_TS folder to the Source pane (larger white pane in upper-left). The Destination should be your burner, or one of them, so just check, if you have multiple burners. Do check the Verify box. In the Device tab (upper-right), choose Write Speed 2x, or as slow as it goes, and the number of copies. ImgBurn will pretty much take care of everything else. When it's ready to go, there is an icon of a folder with an arrow pointing to a DVD. That will become active (not greyed out). Press that. You will be prompted for a name for the Disc, and you can either accept that, or change it, within the naming conventions of the DVD-specs.

Don't worry if you get any error messages. Be sure to read them, as I find them very humorous. They will instruct you of something that you didn't check, or did in error. I will often do things that I know are wrong, just to read the error messages - I need to get a life...

Good luck,

Hunt