10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2009 9:35 AM by the_wine_snob

Need help with moving a folder containing project...

a13firman

So I was working on my friends computer for a bit and had a whole project done in CS4. I had to give his computer back and so I moved the folder (that contained ALL project stuff including rendered files, etc.) to my computer. Now when it is on my computer Premiere can't seem to find the files and I manually have to find all 100 or so files. Two questions/problems:

1. If I moved the folder (which was on the desktop) which contained EVERYTHING that premiere needs including rendered files, why can't it find the clips? Even if it uses relative locations shouldn't it be able to locate everything if the folder is placed on my desktop?

2. It says "can't find ______." So I manually find it, but then it skips all the rest of the clips and doesn't let me find more than one. What do I do?

• 1. Re: Need help with moving a folder containing project...
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Adobe does not use relative file locations. It uses absolute locations. So to relocate all files, both the drive letter and the whole directory structure needs to be the same. From the looks of it your storage has not been very organized, if PR can only find one file and then requests the location of the next file. Had this been done in an organized way, PR would only need the first file and can then find all the other files automatically.

By far the easiest way out is to use an external drive, that has been given a fixed drive letter in disk management, and copy all relevant files from your friends PC to this drive. Then go home and use this external disk for your project. (Note that this external should preferably be an eSATA disk, not a USB disk).

The alternative is to get things organized in terms of absolute file locations. It may take a while, but it will be worth it and has been a lesson for the future to not use 'Desktop' for locating your files.

• 2. Re: Need help with moving a folder containing project...
            a13firman Level 1

Ahhh this makes sense now. I think what was happening was I found one file and then it was finding the rest which is why I thought it "skipped" them all. But can I ask why it would be then that all of the clips have the red "Media Offline" title? I tried to import them and it said file format not supported (MTS), BUT i had imported them on my friends computer fine. Any idea why this would be?

• 3. Re: Need help with moving a folder containing project...
              a13firman Level 1

Nevermind I figured it out...

One more question out of curiousity: It found all the files including rendered ones. So why do I have to re-render it?

• 4. Re: Need help with moving a folder containing project...
                the_wine_snob Level 9

With the exception of the connection type (mine is FW-800, though Harm's eSATA suggestion would be even better/faster), I do this all of the time. Many of my Projects are fully portable between my laptop and my workstation. As Harm points out, the drive letter MUST be given the same assignment in the OS of each/all machine(s). Works perfectly for me.

In my case, with the exception of Captured Assets, I am only working with Copies of all others. Each is Copied to their appropriate sub-folder, i.e. SFX, Stills, Music, and the originals are safe on either an NAS, or another HDD. I never link to any Asset that is not in the Project's folder structure. It's all within the structure, or at least the Copy of it, that I Imported is.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Need help with moving a folder containing project...
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  But can I ask why it would be then that all of the clips have the red "Media Offline" title?

As it appears you've figured out, there are several ways to handle the situation, where PrPro cannot locate a file from the info in the Project file. The best, unless you have a compelling reason to do other, is Find and navigate around, until you DO find the file. Offline All, Skipping,  etc., will give you Media Offline with that famous (or infamous) multi-language screen. Warning here! Do a Save_As, and NOT a Save, otherwise you will have to manually relink the media, or revert to maybe an AutoSave, before you chose to Offline the Media. Relinking can be done, but it is a bit of "handwork."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Need help with moving a folder containing project...
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    It found all the files including rendered ones. So why do I have to re-render it?

In the process of Finding the Assets, it is likely that PrPro now thinks that something has changed with regards to the media, and sees them as not being Rendered. Did your Timeline go fully "red line," or only with some Clips?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Need help with moving a folder containing project...
                      a13firman Level 1

It went fully red. Just kinda annoying because now I have to render 4 different sequences which will take a few hours. There is not way to queue a render right? It would just be nice if I could leave my computer for 5 hours and come back and have all 4 done...

• 8. Re: Need help with moving a folder containing project...
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, I was only guessing on how PrPro might get confused, regarding the Render files. I have never had this happen, but then my workflow with portable Projects is just as Harm outlined. All Render files are exactly where PrPro last saw them.

As for "batch" Render, I am not aware of any way to do this, but maybe others will have ideas that will help you speed this process up a bit.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Need help with moving a folder containing project...
                          a13firman Level 1

Thanks a bunch and sorry to be that guy who asked about 99 questions...

• 10. Re: Need help with moving a folder containing project...
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            sorry to be that guy who asked about 99 questions...

Don't worry. Creating "portable" Projects is not something that everyone does. Setting things up for that is not "second-nature" to most. There can be little pitfalls along the way, and I've fallen into many of them, vowing to NOT do THAT again, whatever it is.

One note: setting up a Project for full portability is a compromise with performance. I gladly give that up, so I can work on the laptop by the pool and then move the Project to the workstation, when needed. With the FW-800's and SD-only material, the performance hit is not very noticeable. If I were using HD material, I might give up portability. Will think that one over, when I go HD. By then, most of my externals will be eSATA (Harm's good rec.), with connections on both machines.

Also, who knows, we both might learn a "trick" with "batch Renders." That might help us both.

Good luck,

Hunt