6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2009 7:48 AM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Trial version install on Mac

Harpo1943

I downloaded the trial version of Affter Effects on my Mac.  When I double click on the setup box the setup program launches, checks system profile with the progress bar traveling about 80% thru to finish and then I get a window saying loading setup, then a box saying installer alert and nothing else happens.  I even waited an hour for it to finish loading but nothing else happens.  The box saying installer alert is completely blank with no dots to close or minimize it.  The only way to get rid of it is to force quit.  Mac G4 OS 10.4 with plenty of hard drive space free.  Any  ideas?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Trial version install on Mac
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Mac G4 OS 10.4 with plenty of hard drive space free.

No deal. AE CS4 is intel only. Assuming you could run the installer, the program itself wouldn't run. The installer issue is explained in this Knowledge Base article, but as I said of no relevance to you at this point.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Trial version install on Mac
            Harpo1943 Level 1

What am I missing here?  When I downloaded the trial version of after effects I was able to select the Mac OS instead of Windows OS.  I'm confused now!  Why would I have the option to download a Mac trial version if it would not work?  Thanks, Mike

• 3. Re: Trial version install on Mac
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You are aware that Apple switched from IBM Power PC (PPC) processors to intel 4 years ago, yes? This has nothing to do with PC vs. Mac. OSX is still OSX, however the binary code execution under the hood is totally different for different processor models, preventing one type of code to run on the other platform. Until AE CS3 Adobe supported Universal Binary code, which contained both versions in one program, but as of CS4, that has been removed in the interest of more efficiently focusing on the current hardware. Not to put too fine a point on it, but a G4 may have been new for AE 6.5 and AE7, but is really, really old now, so you should not expect modern software to run on it. even Apple themselves wil lcease support for all things PPC with OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) except for the most critical patches. So until the day you get a new computer, you will not be able to get too much joy out of current version of AE and that same will be true for CS5, when PPC support is ceased even in Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Flash....

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Trial version install on Mac
                Harpo1943 Level 1

Had no idea!  Thanks for the info.  Trying hard to learn AE on my own to keep my job.  Guess I just found another stumbling block with an older computer.   Do you know what the latest version of After Effects is that I can run on my G4?

Thanks, Mike

• 5. Re: Trial version install on Mac
                  yenaphe Level 4

AE 7 for sure, maybe CS3.

The problem is that with such old hardware you may not be able to deal with HD content and recent codecs. So beware of that

• 6. Re: Trial version install on Mac
                    Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

CS3 will work just fine on a G4 Mac.

It's true that support for some native formats in CS3 is Intel-only, so if you use CS3 on PowerPC (G4, G5, etc) you will have to use Quicktime flavors of those formats (HDV, for example).