12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2009 8:00 AM by the_wine_snob

Access is denied

RiP07

I bought APE 7 yesterday and I installed it this morning but haven't been able to use it yet. When I try to start the program, I get the following message ;

Cannot create file "C:/program files/Image-Line/FL Studio 6/System/Config/Browser/Snap1.scr". Access is denied.

What should I do ?

• 1. Re: Access is denied
          the_wine_snob Level 9

It sounds like the Splash Screen might not be loading. The .scr is a "screen," that is being blocked.

Are you running as an Administrator?

What OS and SP-version are you using?

What Security settings are you using, and did you turn off all AV, pop-up blocking and spyware sweepers, when you installed?

Have not heard of this message before, so I am just trying to think through this problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Access is denied
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This THREAD in another forum, mentions the Administrator account.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Access is denied
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you have FL Studio loaded?

Adobe programs, that can use VST's will survey your system for all that are installed at launch.

Three things can happen with VST's:

1.) the Adobe program loads and uses them

2.) the Adobe program loads them, but the first time that it encounters any that it cannot use, it will give you a dialog screen, telling you that it cannot use that/those particular VST(s). They will load, remian unusable, and you will not see that dialog screen again.

3.) the Adobe program tries to load the VST's, but will hang, when it encounters some of them. Native Instruments is one program, with VST's, that kill PrPro on loading. There are others - many others. This is usually with VST's that are poorly written, or are just so far from what the Adobe program can use, that they cause a hang.

If you do not have FL Studio, we might move on to something else, as a cause for this hang.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Access is denied
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a THREAD from the PrPro forum on hangs at launch. It has a link to the PrPro-Wiki that might prove useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Access is denied
                  RiP07 Level 1

I really not familiar with computers. I really love a program when I can install it and work with it !

To answer you questions (If I understand it correctly) the computer I'm on is using MS Vista Home Premium, has a dual core Processor 4400+ with 2,00 GB. Since the kids installed all kind of "useful" stuff on it, it is running out of Memory, so I installed the APE 7 on an external hard disk. We are using McAfee but I'm not sure about the settings. Ussually, I don't have any problem installing new software.

• 6. Re: Access is denied
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is another THREAD on CS3, that mentions FL Studio and problems at launch.

There is still a VST thread that I am looking for. It was recently posted into the PrPro CS4 forum, but I have yet to find it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Access is denied
                      RiP07 Level 1

I checked and yes, I have the FL Studio 6 and also FL Studio 8.

• 8. Re: Access is denied
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is one more THREAD from the PrPro forum, but still not the most recent one.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Access is denied
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Finally, look at Curt Wrigley's Reply #1 for a link in this THREAD.

Hope that something helps in these links.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Access is denied
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Since the kids installed all kind of "useful" stuff on it, it is running out of Memory, so I installed the APE 7 on an external hard disk

Most likely, this is the key. All Adobe programs want to run from the C:\ drive. They do not do well at all, when one attempts to run them from an external.

A better use of the external would be to Move all pictures, video files, DOC files, etc. to it, freeing up room to install and run PrE.

This article in the FAQ will also help you to "optomize" your system for running an NLE (Non Linear Editor), like PrE.

It sounds like you only have one internal HDD (Hard Disk Drive) on your computer. This can really slow down NLE programs, especially if the HDD is full. I recommend a minimum of 3 internal HDD's for effective editing. However, a second HDD would certainly help one greatly. Fry's (Western US retailer) just put Seagate ATA-300 1.5TB internal HDD's (with installation kit) on sale for US$114. Smaller ones are very inexpensive. Now, depending on what "type" of HDD your system can use, i.e. SATA II, ATA-100/300, EIDE, etc., a couple of 500GB HDD's might slip in nicely and be available for less than US$100 for the pair.

At least with PrE on your C:\ drive, more room available to work (Moving those files, especially AV files to an external), and Steve's tips in the FAQ, you might be up and running. If not, then FL Studio might still be getting in the way, and the articles that I linked to could well be of help.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - as a side note: running any NLE program is about the most taxing thing that one can do with their computer. Nearly every other type of program is simple to run on all but the slowest machines. NLE's will stress even fast computers. I feel that anyone, who publishes tests of computer hardware, should use one as a real test of a system. Instead, they usually just process a database, or something, and use that as a benchmark.

• 11. Re: Access is denied
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              I checked and yes, I have the FL Studio 6 and also FL Studio 8.

One way to free up more space would be to remove (Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs) the earlier version of FL Studio. Now, do check with the kids first. I do not know this program, so there could be a very good reason to have both versions loaded. I do this with some of my Adobe software, where an earlier version offers things that were removed, or changed, in the later one. Still, I'd bet that FL Studio 8 will do all that they want.

Just guessing here, but I will also bet that each version of FL Studio loaded a ton of .WAV audio files as samples and Loopology Clips. Again, I'd suspect that there is much duplication between these sample files with each version, i.e. you have duplicates of many large .WAV (or similar) files with two versions of FL Studio loaded.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS there could still be problems with the VST's in FL Studio, but we've found some other things, like installing on C:\ to try first.

• 12. Re: Access is denied
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I've been throwing around the term "VST" quite a bit. Here is an ARTICLE on what they are.

Good luck,

Hunt