24 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2008 8:02 AM by Newsgroup_User

Google analytics + Dreamweaver

99999simbull Level 1
      Hi all,

I have installed the google analytics code on a few of my websites pages, however since doing so Dreamweaver times out when trying to 'put' these files. Strange I know. I have 'put' some other files as a test and they work fine, and have also uploaded the problem files from within my host, so its just Dreamweaver. Anybody else had this isse before?

thank you
        • 1. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
          Level 7
          No, never.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"simbull" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g7747a$kfr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi all,
          >
          > I have installed the google analytics code on a few of my websites pages,
          > however since doing so Dreamweaver times out when trying to 'put' these
          > files.
          > Strange I know. I have 'put' some other files as a test and they work
          > fine,
          > and have also uploaded the problem files from within my host, so its just
          > Dreamweaver. Anybody else had this isse before?
          >
          > thank you
          >

• 2. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
            Level 7
            Murray *ACE* wrote:
            > No, never.
            >
            Nope, I've been doing it for a year and a half and have not had an issue
            with it.
            • 3. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
              99999simbull Level 1
              Ok, so i'm still getting the problem.

I can put my page, I add the tracking code and I get an error and Dreamweaver wont put it. Remove the code and it works fine again.

I cant understand why just adding some code would affect dreamweaver putting the file...
              • 4. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                Level 7
                It couldn't. Are you running a Firewall and AV?

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                ==================
                ==================

news:g798ea$4pa$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Ok, so i'm still getting the problem.
                >
                > I can put my page, I add the tracking code and I get an error and
                > Dreamweaver
                > wont put it. Remove the code and it works fine again.
                >
                > I cant understand why just adding some code would affect dreamweaver
                > putting
                > the file...
                >

• 5. Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                  mahendra rajeshirke Level 2
                  no i did not get problem ever from this kind of stuff
                  • 6. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                    99999simbull Level 1
                    Cheers guys, look I know its a pain, I'm just baffled you see

yes i'm in a office enviroment, with firewall etc, but I have never had issues with putting my files, until I put this google code in. and it really is that simple, I cut the code out, it puts, I paste it back in, it fails....

and if I upload them from within my hosts control panel, instead of via dreamweaverm they work fine too

maybe my files have become corrupt somehow
                    • 7. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                      Level 7
                      simbull wrote:
                      > Ok, so i'm still getting the problem.
                      >
                      > I can put my page, I add the tracking code and I get an error and Dreamweaver
                      > wont put it. Remove the code and it works fine again.
                      >
                      > I cant understand why just adding some code would affect dreamweaver putting
                      > the file...
                      >

Can you post a link to a page that is causing problems?

Steve
                      • 8. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                        Level 7
                        simbull wrote:
                        > Cheers guys, look I know its a pain, I'm just baffled you see
                        >
                        > yes i'm in a office enviroment, with firewall etc, but I have never had issues
                        > with putting my files, until I put this google code in. and it really is that
                        > simple, I cut the code out, it puts, I paste it back in, it fails....
                        >
                        > and if I upload them from within my hosts control panel, instead of via
                        > dreamweaverm they work fine too
                        >
                        > maybe my files have become corrupt somehow

It could be as simple as where you are putting the code, if you could
                        show us your complete page we would be able to see.

Steve
                        • 9. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                          99999simbull Level 1
                          ok, this is one of the pages:

http://www.metadigm.co.uk/partners/riverbed/index.php

this has the analytics code in it, thus will not 'put' from within dreamweaver

I did try and put the code in the head, but didnt make any difference

Cheers
                          • 10. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                            Level 7
                            simbull wrote:
                            > ok, this is one of the pages:
                            >
                            > http://www.metadigm.co.uk/partners/riverbed/index.php
                            >
                            > this has the analytics code in it, thus will not 'put' from within dreamweaver
                            >
                            > I did try and put the code in the head, but didnt make any difference
                            >
                            > Cheers

First things first, lets sort out the validation errors:
                            http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metadigm.co.uk%2Fpartners%2Fr iverbed%2Findex.php

You have some very strange conditional things going on in your code,
                            very strange indeed.

What is this all about??
                            <li><a href="#">About Us<!--[if gt IE 6]><!--></a><!--<![endif]-->
                            <!--[if lte IE 6]><table><tr><td><![endif]-->

To be honest I am not surprised Dreamweaver is barfing on this page. I
                            can't see your google code either, but your template code seems all over
                            the place as well. I have never ventured into templates, but something
                            doesn't look right, maybe Murray could have a look?

Steve
                            • 11. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                              Level 7
                              I believe that is one of the ridiculous things from cssplay. Sheesh.
                              Sometimes....

Anyhow, I cannot imagine that the presence or absence of Google's analytics
                              code causes DW to fail to upload the file.

But there is something seriously wrong with that page - here's the code I
                              get at the bottom of the source when I browse to it -

<li><a href="#">Services<!--[if gt IE 6]><!--></a><!--<![endif]-->
                              <!--[if lte IE 6]><table><tr><td><![endif]-->
                              <ul>
                              <!--<li><a href="../services/whois.php" title="Whois Domain Name
                              Search">Domain Name Search</a></li>-->
                              <li><a href="../../servi

That's where it ends....

--
                              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                              Adobe Community Expert
                              ==================
                              ==================

"Dooza" <doozadooza@gmail.com> wrote in message
                              news:g79o0l$l3g$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > simbull wrote:
                              >> ok, this is one of the pages:
                              >>
                              >> http://www.metadigm.co.uk/partners/riverbed/index.php
                              >>
                              >> this has the analytics code in it, thus will not 'put' from within
                              >> dreamweaver
                              >>
                              >> I did try and put the code in the head, but didnt make any difference
                              >>
                              >> Cheers
                              >
                              > First things first, lets sort out the validation errors:
                              > http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metadigm.co.uk%2Fpartners%2Fr iverbed%2Findex.php
                              >
                              > You have some very strange conditional things going on in your code, very
                              > strange indeed.
                              >
                              > What is this all about??
                              > <li><a href="#">About Us<!--[if gt IE 6]><!--></a><!--<![endif]-->
                              > <!--[if lte IE 6]><table><tr><td><![endif]-->
                              >
                              > To be honest I am not surprised Dreamweaver is barfing on this page. I
                              > can't see your google code either, but your template code seems all over
                              > the place as well. I have never ventured into templates, but something
                              > doesn't look right, maybe Murray could have a look?
                              >
                              > Steve

• 12. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                                99999simbull Level 1
                                the conditional code you see wasnt coded by me, it was a css only, cross browser compatible navigation dropdown that I obtained from css-play.

the majority of them errors all point to the same line of code, line 79, but i dont see a problem with it? its just an <li>

this is the code its pulling up

<li><a href="../../services/dns.php" title="Domain Name Services">DNS</a></li>

and it refers to the i in services....????
                                • 13. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                                  99999simbull Level 1
                                  didnt know css-play were not all that, it did what I needed and the description was sold on me....my bad I guess now! Perhaps I need to look into getting all of that conditional IE6 stuff out of there

yes, thats the strange thing, it ends there and that is what the failed validation brings up too. i can view the source in IE, and the page diaplys fine in all browsers.

I know what you are saying, and I agree I cant see how GA would affect it - but, in one mysterious way or another, it is!
                                  • 14. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                                    Level 7
                                    > browser compatible navigation dropdown that I obtained from css-play.

Suspicions confirmed. My opinion is that it's never proper to write invalid
                                    HTML for whatever reason, but if it floats your boat, then go for it.

Anyhow, that page is coming in truncated for me, as I showed in my last
                                    post. Is that how it is when you look at it in DW?

--
                                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                    Adobe Community Expert
                                    ==================
                                    ==================

news:g79om7$lpr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > the conditional code you see wasnt coded by me, it was a css only, cross
                                    > browser compatible navigation dropdown that I obtained from css-play.
                                    >
                                    > the majority of them errors all point to the same line of code, line 79,
                                    > but i
                                    > dont see a problem with it? its just an

• >
                                      > this is the code its pulling up
                                      >
                                      >
                                    • <a href="../../services/dns.php" title="Domain Name
                                      > Services">DNS</a></li>
                                      >
                                      > and it refers to the i in services....????
                                      >

• 15. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                                      Level 7
                                      The page is truncated for me in IE7/FF2x/Safari3x....

--
                                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                      Adobe Community Expert
                                      ==================
                                      ==================

news:g79qeh$nnc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      > didnt know css-play were not all that, it did what I needed and the
                                      > description
                                      > was sold on me....my bad I guess now! Perhaps I need to look into getting
                                      > all
                                      > of that conditional IE6 stuff out of there
                                      >
                                      > yes, thats the strange thing, it ends there and that is what the failed
                                      > validation brings up too. i can view the source in IE, and the page
                                      > diaplys
                                      > fine in all browsers.
                                      >
                                      > I know what you are saying, and I agree I cant see how GA would affect
                                      > it -
                                      > but, in one mysterious way or another, it is!
                                      >

• 16. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                                        99999simbull Level 1
                                        I'm sure I validated this site before though, Ive been striving to ensure its all valid since its redevelopment back in January. Strange.

the page looks spot on in Dreamweaver

I wasnt aware I was getting invalid code, creating a css only dropdown which was cross browser compatible was beyond what i could achieve in a reasonable time, hence I drafted the use of somebody with greater skill in that department. Do you know of another source where I can achieve the same result minus the validation issues?
                                        • 17. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                                          Level 7
                                          > Do you know of another source where I can achieve the same result
                                          > minus the validation issues?

PVII....

http://www.projectseven.com/

--
                                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                          Adobe Community Expert
                                          ==================
                                          ==================

news:g79s25$pgn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                          > I'm sure I validated this site before though, Ive been striving to ensure
                                          > its
                                          > all valid since its redevelopment back in January. Strange.
                                          >
                                          > the page looks spot on in Dreamweaver
                                          >
                                          > I wasnt aware I was getting invalid code, creating a css only dropdown
                                          > which
                                          > was cross browser compatible was beyond what i could achieve in a
                                          > reasonable
                                          > time, hence I drafted the use of somebody with greater skill in that
                                          > department. Do you know of another source where I can achieve the same
                                          > result
                                          > minus the validation issues?
                                          >

• 18. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                                            99999simbull Level 1
                                            Murray, apologies, I think dreamweaver had part put the file.

Interestingly, I am at home now and can put the file fine....

are the projectseven menu fully customizable? its just I like to have the code so I can play around if I want to

Cheers
                                            • 19. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                                              Level 7
                                              > are the projectseven menu fully customizable? its just I like to have the
                                              > code
                                              > so I can play around if I want to

Completely. If you can work in Code view, you can modify anything.

--
                                              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                              Adobe Community Expert
                                              ==================
                                              ==================

news:g7a3qt$4q9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                              > Murray, apologies, I think dreamweaver had part put the file.
                                              >
                                              > Interestingly, I am at home now and can put the file fine....
                                              >
                                              > are the projectseven menu fully customizable? its just I like to have the
                                              > code
                                              > so I can play around if I want to
                                              >
                                              > Cheers
                                              >

• 20. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                                                99999simbull Level 1
                                                thanks murray. thanks for all the help, it was a weird one I know. I think the conclusion is my firewall at work must not like something in the analytics script as I can put it fine from home.

And I shall look into the menu bits you sent thanks
                                                • 21. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                                                  Level 7
                                                  Good luck!

--
                                                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                  Adobe Community Expert
                                                  ==================
                                                  ==================

news:g7a8eb$9pj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                  > thanks murray. thanks for all the help, it was a weird one I know. I
                                                  > think
                                                  > the conclusion is my firewall at work must not like something in the
                                                  > analytics
                                                  > script as I can put it fine from home.
                                                  >
                                                  > And I shall look into the menu bits you sent thanks
                                                  >

• 22. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                                                    99999simbull Level 1
                                                    Ok, i'm sorry to bring this topic up again, but I am still having the same problem as before.

Which is this:

My web page 'puts fine'
                                                    As soon as I add the analytics code, dreamweaver won't 'put' it.

I removed all content of the page, and its still the same issue.

It works from my DW at home.

many thanks, trust me, its doing my head in!
                                                    • 23. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                                                      99999simbull Level 1
                                                      case closed, it was our internal security blocking document.write

der.
                                                      • 24. Re: Google analytics + Dreamweaver
                                                        Level 7
                                                        Glad you got it solved....

--
                                                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                                        Adobe Community Expert
                                                        ==================
                                                        ==================

news:g93o2q$j26$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                        > case closed, it was our internal security blocking document.write
                                                        >
                                                        > der.