22 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2013 5:41 AM by alexdejesus

Remove a White Spot in Video

jkmusic Level 1

PPro CS4.  I shot an HD video and there was a tiny white spot on the black wall.  The camera is not moving. This should be easy I know but I am having a problem. I would prefer to use PPro to fix.  Masking and even a small black square of video works but does not transition equally. In other words in the previous lighter shot, you see my fix in the transition. Please advise the easiest way.  Thanks 

• 1. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Perhaps the Clone effect from After Effects will do a superior job.

• 2. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
            jkmusic Level 1

For some reason, when linking, my video opens up in AE in 4:3, thats why I was avoiding AE. Since it is HD Mpeg, I also want to avoid exporting (compressing) and then importing only to export again at final.

• 3. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
              Jim_Simon Level 8

For some reason, when linking, my video opens up in AE in 4:3

Solve that first.

• 4. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                a tiny white spot on the black wall.

If it really was tiny, copy the clip on track 1 to track 2, then use a matte on track 2, so all you have left  is a 'tiny spot' of the black wall, right next to the white spot. Then use the position effect to move it right over the original white spot. It needed apply a slight blur to mask differences in the background.

• 5. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I had assumed he already tried that, given the info in the first post.

• 6. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
                    jkmusic Level 1

That worked well! Thanks.

• 7. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry, but your post was directed at Jim, so I assume that his solution of using the clone effect in AE was the solution or did my suggestion in Pr prove to be correct? Please clarify.

• 8. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I would duplicate your Clip from Video Track 1 to Video Track 2. Then use Motion>Position to offset the Clip on Video Track 2, so that the black wall covers the white spot and also does not "reveal" that black spot from the dupe. Apply the Effect>Transform>Crop to the Clip on Video Track 2 to eliminate all but just a tiny piece of the dupe Clip.

If one needs the dupe to be softer, then the Track Matte Keying Effect and a soft-edged Matte will handle this.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Please clarify

I agree, as it seemed that things were not happening correctly.

There are a few other ways to handle this, and one is simply done from PS.

If the OP needs more options, we're just a "shout-out" away,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a TUTORIAL on using the Track Matte Keying Effect. Mentally, just substitute the "skin softening" for your "patch."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
                              jkmusic Level 1

Thanks! I will look over the tutorial.

I am currently using the AE clone stamp tool for removing a seam in the back wall of the same shoot. Am kicking myself for not noticing it during filming. It is good for two or three frames at a time and more if the shot is steady.  I remember a year or two ago seeing a routine to where you could export numerous frames to PS\Illistrator and edit each frame.  It was very clunky. I am envisioning exporting frames to PS and using the healing brush and just hitting the next frame button as I zip thru healing or using whatever effect or patch I need, then importing.  Is this the future for AE\PS or can it be done now easily? With 3rd party?

• 12. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
                                tclark513 Level 3

All you needed to do was nest the clip and then the transition would have looked fine.

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  I remember a year or two ago seeing a routine to where you could export numerous frames to PS\Illistrator and edit each frame.  It was very clunky

This is Rotoscoping, and it IS tedious. It harkens back to an age, prior to Video, and NLE's, when film was retouched frame by frame, and by hand. There were some great artists, who did fantastic work this way.

Now, do you have Photoshop Extended? Much additional Video handling has been added to the Extended version. How much this might help, I do not know, as I still use PS CS2 - no Extended back then. Still, might be something to check out. Rotoscoping might have gotten a lot easier with Extended?

As for your "seam," I recently saw a good tutorial on AE for this exact same thing. Went looking for my bookmark, but could not find it. If I do, I'll share it with you. In the meantime, you might be able to find it via a search on AE, seam, etc. [I almost hate to suggest that someone use search, as it seems that many poster take direct offense to such a suggestion - hope that you will not.]

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
                                    jkmusic Level 1

No problem here. Thank you. I will search. I do have CS4 Extended.

Kevin

• 15. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Kevin,

Please do me a great favor. Once you have been able to research PS Extended, and especially if it can help in doing things similar to what you are, would you report your findings.

Going back a bit, I planned on upgrading one of my PS licenses to PS Extended CS4, but was told that because I had used one of those separate licenses to go to CS2 Production Studio, I could never upgrade just one of the programs any more - both individual licenses (one going back to the very first version of PS for the PC and one from the first day of release) were now only usable for a full suite upgrade. At that time, PrPro CS4 was not doing well for most, so I was not interested in doing something like the Master Collection, just to get PS Extended. Now, PrPro CS4.1 is looking better, so I will probably soon upgrade. Finding out as much about PS Extended, as I can, might sway me to move sooner, rather than later.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, and I hope that it might help you with your Project, as well.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
                                        Colin Brougham Level 6

If you're game, I've got a Premiere Pro-only workflow that uses three effects, only one instance of your clip, and no additional "patches". It might be a little bizarre, but it works. Ready?

1. With your problem clip in the timeline, add the following effects in this order: Offset, Circle, Calculations. Turn off Offset and Calculations for now; leave Circle on. You'll should see a black screen with a white circle in the middle; good.
                                        2. Twirl down the settings for Circle. Set the blending mode to Normal; now you'll see your video with the white circle superimposed on top. Adjust the Center X and Y settings to position the circle over the white spot, and then decrease the Radius until the circle is small, but still large enough to cover the spot with some room to spare. Twirl upon the Feather settings and add a little bit of Feather Outer Edge; something like 5-10 will do. Finally, set blending mode to Stencil Alpha; everything outside of the circle will again be black, but you'll see the spot sitting in the middle of the "spotlight". Adjust the Center, Radius, and Feather settings a bit if needed to frame the spot.
                                        3. Turn on the Offset effect, and twirl it open. Nothing will happen at first. Either click-drag the Shift Center To X and Y values in the Effects Control Panel, or select the Transform icon http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/images/P_DirectMan_Wi_N.png(between the "fx" symbol and the effect name) to make the crosshair appear in the Program Monitor, and then drag the crosshair. What you want to do is make the spot move out of the "spotlight" you created above; whether you go up, down, left or right will depend on your clip and the gradations present in the background of the clip, as well as the location of foreground elements you don't want to mask. You won't have to move far to move the spot out of view.
                                        4. Finally, turn on the Calculations effect, and twirl down its settings. Set Second Layer Opacity to 100%, set Blending Mode to Darken, and uncheck Preserve Transparency. As soon as you change the last setting, your video should return with a brand new embedded patch over that pesky white spot. If it's almost there but not quite, you might have to adjust the Offset settings a bit, or adjust the Circle Center, Radius, or Feather settings a bit to eliminate the spot. Best of all, you can adjust the Motion settings of the clip and the patch stays in place, and a transition to another clip will respect the patch.

So, what's going on here? The Circle effect is essentially creating a track matte that's built right into the clip (Bill will recognize this as one of my favorite applications of this effect), and you use it punch an inverted hole through your video clip to segregate the white spot from the rest of the video you don't want to affect. The Offset effect slides the white spot out of the patch you're building and replaces it with "good" video. Finally, the Calculations effect composites the patch back on top of the original video clip, and the Darken mode applies the dark pixels of the patch to only the pixels that have lighter values than the patch in the underlying video.

Just to get you started, I created an effect preset with these effects and basic settings. Apply and adjust to taste.

• 17. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

You are a master at simplifying things that I use dozens of Tracks and hours to create! My hat is always off to you.

Neat, and thanks as always,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
                                            jkmusic Level 1

I am trying manually but your zip says it is empty.

• 19. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
                                              jkmusic Level 1

I am working on the vertical seam.  Is there a square equivalent to the circle?

• 20. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
                                                jkmusic Level 1

I ended up using all of the suggestions here and there.  The clone effect was the best method though.  Thank goodness it was only about 60 seconds of bad shots, but thats 1800 frames!!. If you like, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GENX6II7FgM and see what you think.  Thanks for all your help.  I will shoot better next time, trust me.     

• 21. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

The clone effect was the best method though.

Score!

• 22. Re: Remove a White Spot in Video
                                                    alexdejesus Level 1

Colin, forgive me for bringing this up so many years later, but I tried these instructions using the Offset, Circle and Calculations effects to remove lens dust spots from a video clip and it left me with just a black screen. Has anything changed in those effects in CS6 from when you made this post (2009)?

There are a handful of tiny white spots, but visible in the mostly dark video. There is planty of movement in the 15-minute shot. 

Also, is the 'digital concealer' preset usable in CS6? How do you install it? Where does it go?