1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 16, 2009 7:10 PM by the_wine_snob

Format changes from one computer to another.....how come?

specwarn1

Just bought a new laptop.......I have been doing all my editing on the computer at home without a problem......all clips are saved in MPEG and everything works fine.....(ultimately posting them all on YouTube).  As I needed to get a new laptop anyway, I set it up so it would have plenty of giddyup to work on videos away from home.  When I copy the folder containing the video clips (all in MPEG) on the desktop at home and then copy the folder to the desktop on the new laptop, the clips have changed from MPEG to MOD format........This results in an error message when I try to preview the clip (in Windows Media Player) about being unable to find the app that created the clip......I can click "try it anyway" and the video will play but minus the audio.  I do all my previewing in Media Player to go through the clips quickly to sort out what I want to keep and what to toss out.

Why would the format change from MPEG to MOD when I copy the files from desktop at home to laptop?....anyone have any ideas?.....is there a phone number at Adobe that anyone knows of with a human on the other end that may be able to answer if I can figure it out here.  Thanks for any suggestions.

• 1. Re: Format changes from one computer to another.....how come?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Now,

When I copy the folder containing the video clips (all in MPEG) on the desktop at home and then copy the folder to the desktop on the new laptop, the clips have changed from MPEG to MOD format

This is a new one to me. I have never seen any version of Windows that would change the file extension of any file copied, regardless of whether it was over a network, or to a new drive/folder.

Now, with the JVC cameras, their files are MOD and TOD (for HD material). Could you have copied the wrong folder? Otherwise, something really odd is going on. Could it be that you thought that you had copied a certain folder and actually got one with the same file names, but at the original level, when they were still .MOD?

Good luck,

Hunt