12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2009 6:46 PM by the_wine_snob

How does one Export a CS3 typeface to CS4?

barrylaymond

CS3 has a typeface I want to use which is not included in After Effects CS4

Can anybody tell me how to extract the type face from either Premier Pro CS3 or Encore CS3 and then add it to Adobe After Effects CS4.

Sorry if this is basic stuff but I have never done this before.

• 1. Re: How does one Export a CS3 typeface to CS4?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Adobe programs utilize the fonts installed on one's system. Many Adobe programs also ship with fonts. All you will have to do is track down the particular font and install it on your system. Then, CS4 can use it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How does one Export a CS3 typeface to CS4?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Oops, forgot my manners - welcome to the forum.

BTW what is the name of this particular font? If you have a copy of CS3 (or maybe another Adobe program, where it was included), you just need to use Control Panel>Fonts and install it on your other system. Now, if it was NOT an Adobe font to begin with, but one that was installed on another machine via some other software, you'll just need to track that font down, copy it over, and then install it in the OS, the same way.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How does one Export a CS3 typeface to CS4?
              barrylaymond Level 1

Thanks a million.  All sorted.  Easy when you know how!

The font was Bickham Script Pro

Barry

• 4. Re: How does one Export a CS3 typeface to CS4?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Cool and glad that you got it sorted.

Seems that with about CS3, Adobe started cutting back on the fonts that ship (most install) with their programs. It looks like CS4 might have cut back just a bit more.

One of the things that I always do is sort through my various installation discs, looking for fonts. Often they are in supplemental discs, in folders with names like "Goodies." I will copy these over to the appropriate font folders, but usually do not install them, until needed.

On the workstation, I now have about 12,000, though only 200-300 are usually installed at a time. Outside of Windows/Fonts, I have my Fonts folder hierarchy, with PS Fonts, TT Fonts, OTF Fonts, and the like. I use Extensis Suitcase to dynamically manage the installed fonts, and will often create a Font Set for a big Project. I can then choose to "install" that Font Set, when I work on that Project. For my print design Projects, I do the same, and often even have client Font Sets. I know that if I'm working on something for Tanya Haynes, I can just load my Tanya Font Set, and have most of what she's going to be using. Oh, there can be exceptions, but then I just add the new ones to her Font Set and away I go.

This keeps the installed number of fonts to a minimum. This reduces overhead on the system, and gives quicker bootup too.

Were you able to locate the Bickham Script Pro?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How does one Export a CS3 typeface to CS4?
                  barrylaymond Level 1

Hi

I found Bickam Script Pro thanks to your tip.

I like your idea for storing fonts.

I have purchased some Iomega 1TB Prestige External Hard Drives for storing projects and they work a treat a have cut back on the loads on my system.

As my operating system is Windows XP the main problem when working on big projects is memory causing one to have to save, exit and re-enter a project to make sure nothing is lost. That is just something one has to live with.

Adobe do seem to have cut back certain things with each new incarnation which is somewhat short sighted but it is still a good system and on the plus side improvements get added. 

Regards

Barry Laymond

• 6. Re: How does one Export a CS3 typeface to CS4?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Barry,

Installed fonts can sap resources, but most of that depends on the total number.

Most of us use many of the same ones over and over, until we need a "headline," or need to give a different "look." In Video, much is readability, so the choices can be a bit limited, over print work. A good, dynamic font-minder is a great investiment for many reasons. In days gone by, I used one that I loved. It happened to be called Font Minder, and it was great. It was ported for Win 3.1.1, but I used it up to WinME, with no issues. Adobe bought it, and let it die - concentration on their PS Font program, ATM. That too has been pretty much shelved. It is still around, but all development has ceased - at least for now. It was when I moved on to newer OS's, that I discovered Extensis Suitcase. I had several Extensis plug-ins for PS, but Suitcase was Mac-only back in those days. When it was finally ported to the PC, I gave it a try. It was very good, but still not quite up to my old Font Minder. Still, it did 90% of what I needed and worked on the newer OS's. It allows me to limit the number of installed fonts to a minimum, but then quickly install any others, that I need. It lets me organize by Project, by Style or even by client. Neat, and efficient. My copy came with FontDoctor, so I really got a "twofer." There are others, but I had not found one that worked the way that I do, since Font Minder. Suitcase comes close, so I gave up looking at the rest.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: How does one Export a CS3 typeface to CS4?
                      barrylaymond Level 1

Hunt

All noted and I will give Suitcase a whirl.

Have you used smartsounds?  I used this for sound in earlier versions of Adobe but they dropped the plug ins some versions back.  I have been trying Sonic Pro as a fix but it does not recognise Adobe timelines only the individual clips that make up each timeline which is not helpful.

Barry

• 8. Re: How does one Export a CS3 typeface to CS4?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I am a big fan of SmartSound and have used both the QuickTracks for Premiere plug-in and SonicFire Pro from about versin 3. Now, my library has grown to the point that most of their "sales" are almost meaningless, because I already own most of it.

In a few other fora, I've done some involved SmartSound articles to explain aspects of it and the differences between the SmartSound "Libraries," and the ways to use SmartSound for scoring. Maybe it's time that I track those down, and combine them.

With CS4, there was a change in the way that PrPro handles Audio. This killed the QT's for Premiere plug-in. Work is on-going to get this sorted out.

Why not initiate a new post, regarding SmartSound and SonicFire Pro in PrPro, and I'll be glad to jump in with some of those older articles. Also, I'd be very glad to offer my workflow and perspectives on SonicFire Pro, as will others.

Good luck, and I'm off to locate those SmartSound articles,

Hunt

• 10. Re: How does one Export a CS3 typeface to CS4?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I'll be looking. I have gathered several articles already, and will edit them, as there are many references to particular issues that the OP had. They play no role in what we're talking about. I also want to run the final edit past a contact at SmartSound, so I do not post any errors, or omissions. He usually catches me in a few mis-statements, or misconceptions on my part.

While I cannot promise any word on a CS4 plug-in update, I'll ask about that too - in hopes that they're about to finish the work with Adobe. With the recent release of PrE 7, SmartSound QT's was included in the installation. I know that they work closely with Adobe, so I'm hoping.

Give me a few days to get it all together and get it proofed for accuracy, then I'll post it to the Tips & Tricks section of the PrE forum and get a link.

Hunt

• 11. Re: How does one Export a CS3 typeface to CS4?
                            barrylaymond Level 1

Many many thanks again.   I look forward to getting the updated information.

For the time being I will stick with CS3 for editing.

Barry

• 12. Re: How does one Export a CS3 typeface to CS4?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

For this moment in time, that is probably a good choice, if one is using QuickTracks for Premiere. Now, SonicFire Pro, being a stand-alone, is a different matter. You can use it, so long as you Export a "reference movie" to score by. I covered a bit more in your SmartSound thread. More to come for it in a day, or two - after proofing by SmartSound.

Good luck,

Hunt