6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2009 8:08 AM by the_wine_snob

PE7 crashes when I try to add a title...?

MrGKB

I bought PE7 a couple of weeks ago it's been a great piece of software, my measly 2.26ghz processor and 480mb of RAM handled it just fine and I was really enjoying liking the software.

So it came as a shock to me when one day whilst I was trying to add a title to my video, I was greeted not by a wonderoos selection of fonts but by a message apologizing for 'the inconvenience', the computer I was using did not have access to the internet and so I was unable to send the error report Windows had so kindly compiled for me, PE7 then decided to close...

"Well, never mind" I thought "I've only lost a few minutes work" So I tried again (to add the title), but the same thing happened, and again, and again e.c.t

The program only crashes when I try to add a title I cannot get it to do so any other way and everything else works fine. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a sucspision that one of the fonts may be corrupt, so if anyone knows the name of the folder they are stored in that would be helpful.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: PE7 crashes when I try to add a title...?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I have a sucspision that one of the fonts may be corrupt, so if anyone knows the name of the folder they are stored in that would be helpful.

You stole some of my "thunder." Titler in PrE and in PrPro is very, very sensitive to fonts and problems. Fonts that PS, AI, InDesign and ohters will work with fine, will bring Titler to its knees. These can be corrupt fonts, badly formed fonts and even certain fonts. This also happens before Titler ever gets open. It occurs when it surveys the installed fonts on the system.

Now, and this might depend a bit on your exact OS, your installed fonts are stored in C:\Windows\Fonts.

I use a utility, Extensis FontDoctor to survey, repair and/or replace any bad fonts. A freeware program, FontFrenzy, (you do need to register, but it's still free) will do this too. It's so very much quicker, than the manual way of finding bad fonts.

One thing that I like about Font Doctor is that it can survey my entire system. On my workstation, I have over 12,000 fonts, though usually no more than ~200 loaded at any one time. Still, if I do install any, I do not want them to break Titler either. I use the Extensis Suitcase to manage/dynamically install these other fonts, as is needed for Projects.

Be aware that there are some fonts, that just kill Titler, regardless of what Font Doctor, or FontFrenzy say about them. One is Deja Vu, which is installed when one gets SunMicro System's Open Office. Something is wrong with that font, but it's not corrupt - it just flat kills Titler. I do not have an entire list of these rogue fonts, but would also suspect that some of the older Corel fonts might do the same. My recent Corel WordPerfect fonts do not seem to have any issues and I use several of these.

Try FontFrenzy, and see if it finds any corrupt fonts.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE7 crashes when I try to add a title...?
            MrGKB Level 1

Thanks a bunch!

You deserve the title of top contributer!

P.S The new version does not ask you to register! (even better)

• 3. Re: PE7 crashes when I try to add a title...?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for reporting on FontFrenzy. I have an older version, and though I did register, have never used it. I have Extensis, and it does all I want. Others, however, have given FontFrenzy good marks, so I do not hesitate to include it, especially as it's free.

Now, did it find any corrupt fonts on your system? Was it able to repair these? Does Titler load now?

As issues with Titler in both Adobe NLE's can come up, I try to stay as abreast of these problems, as I can. It was through reading of others' troubles, that I picked up on the Deja Vu font issue, and that's why I both mentioned it, and pointed out the potential for other fonts to be a problem, even if they are not corrupt.

Your reports will be of use to many others, and are greatly appreciated.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PE7 crashes when I try to add a title...?
                MrGKB Level 1

Bad news...

I insatalled Fontfrenzy like you suggested, but when I try to 'defrenzy' I get the same message as when I try to open Titler and it crashes.

Further more, Fontfenzy only detected the fonts that came with windows, there is no mention of Adobe fonts, likewise when I look in the folder C:/WINDOWS/fonts there are no Adobe fonts.

I would search for the bad font the manual way but i cannot find the folder that contains the Adobe fonts. VERY FRUSTRAITING.

Mabey it's just my PC.

Any help would be great.

• 5. Re: PE7 crashes when I try to add a title...?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Oops, sounds like a very corrupted font.

Let's step back a bit. Fonts can be in at least two places:

1.) installed on the system, and located in the C:\Windows\fonts folder

2.) in separate folders, often, though not always, associated with particular programs

Now, with Adobe fonts, these are now most often OTF fonts (Open Type Fonts), and most Adobe programs, that have fonts, will just install them into C:\Windows\Fonts. You will usually not see them elsewhere, i.e. they will not appear in any other folder, as they were installed on the system, when the program was installed. If, when you open Control Panel>Fonts, and see any OTF fonts, these likely came from your Adobe programs. This indicates that they are in C:\Windows\Fonts and are installed on the system.

With some Adobe programs, there is additional Functional Content somewhere on the installation DVD set. These can be things like 3rd party plug-ins (some totally free, and some in demo mode), additional Menus, Title Templates, and fonts. In the case of these "bonus" fonts, you need to copy over their folder from the installation DVD to the location of choice. Note: doing this will NOT install the fonts on the system. One would use Control Panel>Fonts to navigate to that folder to do this install. Control Panel>Fonts is the mechanism for getting fonts onto, or off of the system. One can use it to remove installed fonts in two ways: uninstall the font, but leave the file on the system, or uninstall the font and remove the file from the system. The differences are obvious.

Now, before I go through the manual process of detecting a corrupt font, I'm instead going to do an article and post it to the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, for use by others. Give me a moment, as the process is fairly involved, and I do not want to hurry through it and miss something important. One more cup of coffee, and it should be done and posted. I'll return to post a link to this thread.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE7 crashes when I try to add a title...?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is the ARTICLE in the Tips & Tricks sub-forum.

Good luck,

Hunt