14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2009 7:03 PM by Steve Grisetti

Can't burn to DVD

blzrdphoto

I can't burn a movie to DVD.  It goes through the process of encoding the menus (3 pages) but then I get an encoder error with no explanation as to why.  No error codes, no crash reports, just decoder error.  No matter how many times I tried it still had the same problem.  Was eventually able to just encode the finished movie strait to AVI and use windows DVD creator to burn it but I would like to be able to use premier elements to make my custom DVD menus.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Can't burn to DVD
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Please give us complete details on your Project. Pay special attention to the Disc layout, and the Assets (video files and Menu Templates) used.

Also, what is the text of that Encoder Error, and what are you doing, when it appears? Does it come at a particular point in the Build/Burn process? If so, when?

Obviously, your burner functions with another app. What happens if you Burn to Folder, instead of to disc? Does that work?

If so, can you then use a freeware program, like ImgBurn to do the physical burning to disc?

Good luck, and I look forward to the information - remember, more is better than too little.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can't burn to DVD
            blzrdphoto Level 1

I am at work so I can't recreate it at the moment but here is what I remember.

The video is just a normal slideshow of about 85 pictures 10 seconds per picture.  Audio track was about 12 minutes long. I used the create your own layout option for the menu that has the doves on it.  In this menu I used a background video which was in 720 P (about 100 MB and 1:30 seconds long if I remember). The process of the burn was it would say something like encoding menus (1, 2, and 3 of 3) then at 6% every time it would give the error "Encoder error" right below the progress bar with no other messages.  Tried restarting application and restarting computer to no avail. I also ran all updates as soon as I installed the program for the first time about a week ago.  Video Codec could possibly be the problem because I have a few 3rd party codec programs installed like klite codec pack to give my computer lots of compatibility (this is the first video problem I have had in 2 years).

When I get home I will try

-creating another generic slideshow to see if it was content.

-buring same project with no background on menu.

-burning same project with different menu template

-burning to disk with imgburn

-uninstall/reinstall PRE

-uninstall codec programs.

Anything else that I could possibly try with the new info?

• 3. Re: Can't burn to DVD
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Generally, we recommend that you downsize your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels for use in a video slideshow. More than that just taxes (and often overloads) your system without giving you any better results.

The challenge in your case is that you're trying to work with a hi-def slideshow. In that case, I'd recommend two things:

1) Resize your photos to no larger than 1600x900 pixels

2) Render often as you work. To render, press the Enter key. The red line on the timeline above your photos will turn green.

I am concerned also that you're wiping out so early in the encoding process. How much free, defragmented space is on your hard drive? It sounds as though the process may be choking due to lack of scratch disk space. (For this kind of work, you'll need at least 45 gigabytes of free, defragmented space. Maybe more.)

Or am I misunderstanding? Are you creating a hi-def slideshow or are you just using a hi-def background in a standard slideshow? If the latter, then definitely resize those photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels.

• 4. Re: Can't burn to DVD
                the_wine_snob Level 9

If your still images have not been resized, prior to Importing them, then this ARTICLE might give you some tips. Obviously, your Project's Preset will determine the final dimensions, as Steve points out.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can't burn to DVD
                  blzrdphoto Level 1

The thing I don't get is that I was able to encode the video just fine to an AVI file.  In fact it took less than 2 minutes.  My processor was able to handle the pictures uncompressed just fine.  But I will start to render my work as I go now that I know how.  And on top of everything it is just a DVD project so I don't need the content in HD.  The video I'm using for the background happens to be HD so that would explain why it takes so long to encode the menu.  But it seemed to be right after the menu was complete that it has the error.  At first I was saving to a hard drive with only 4 GB left but then tried it with a hard drive with 100 GB with the same problem.  Albiet that space may have been fragmented.  I have some stuff to try when I get home.

• 6. Re: Can't burn to DVD
                    fragras

I can't burn a DVD or a  DVD-DL in Premiere 8. The program crashes usually after an hour of rendering and encoding. This a disgusting unfinished program and should be recalled. The TS people are worthless. Just as an important not which indicates that the program is at fault, I can burn a blue-ray disk from the exact video which cannot produce a DVD. So put that in your pipe and smoke it, Adobe Technical Service. So folks, I also doubt that the Tech people at Adobe even read the forums. In my discussions the duck the answer by pushing me off to their canned troubleshooting answers, which are useless.... I'll be in contact with their TS again tomorrowand I'm sure to be blamed for the problem again.....

I run an X-58 evga board, an Intel i7 950 CPU.12 GB of Cotsair Dominator memory, a Geforce 250 graohics card ans the Windows 7 Professional 64bit OS.

This program was supposed to work with a 64 bit configuration. It does not and from what I see on the forums has questionable performance with 32 bit systems.

BTW the photoshop elements version is also a nightmare.

Worse one cannot down transfer without spending time producing AVI or other format files to work around program issues which Adobe has created.

After spending 35 days trying to figure out the problem aith Adobe, I asked for my money back. They refused since I was over the 30 day refund period. They acted as if it was the first time I had contacted them relative to the problem. A bum program and a bum out fit. I wouldn't mind if I were a new customer, but I have been using their programs for years and contributed well over 4K to their coffers.

Frank Servas

• 7. Re: Can't burn to DVD
                      EdwardAci Level 1

Dear supporters,

seems to be an old error of the software.

Using Sony's VAIO bundled Premiere/Photoshop Elements 4.0 I may reproduce the same behavior.

My project consists of some AV CHD clips and one sequence in DVD-format MPEG2. All of this in PAL. I use one of the standard menus (cinema theme).

I may burn it to blue ray. And it works fine. But I can't neither directly to a DVD-disc nor to a DVD-folder. Every time Premiere encodes the clips and the menu structure - never mind, that it isn't necessary, because I made no changes to the project. But it stucks while burning. The progression bar stays at somewhere below 10 percent. That's it. There's no error message and I may cancel the process. But it won't go further on when I choose to not cancel - even after hours or days...

There's no picture used in my project and just one title made with Premiere.

Have you got any suggestions or bugfixes?

Best regards,

Edward

• 8. Re: Can't burn to DVD

The FAQs to the right of this forum offer step-by-step instructions for troubleshooting this kinds of problems and working around them.

If you'll post your results in detail for each step we'll better be able to diagnose your problem and offer solutions.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415318?tstart=0

• 9. Re: Can't burn to DVD
                          fragras Level 1

The problem with 8 is the same as you describe, will not burn to DVD of any type but burns brilliantly to a Blue-ray disc. I've fought with the Adobe un-technical folks and they suggest silly workarounds. THERE SHOULD BE NO WORKAROUNDS REQUIRED!!!! THE PROGRAM SHOULD WORK AS ADVERTISED!!!!!!

I HAVE NO SOLUTION. Will be talking to Adobe TS again on Monday.

Frank Servas

---Original Message

• 10. Re: Can't burn to DVD
                            fragras Level 1

This is from a person with the same problem. This is my response to him. The problem with 8 is the same as you describe, will not burn to DVD of any type but burns brilliantly to a Blue-ray disc. I've fought with the Adobe un-technical folks and they suggest silly workarounds. THERE SHOULD BE NO WORKAROUNDS REQUIRED!!!! THE PROGRAM SHOULD WORK AS ADVERTISED!!!!!!

I HAVE NO SOLUTION. Will be talking to Adobe TS again on Monday.

Frank Servas

Dear supporters,

seems to be an old error of the software.

Using Sony's VAIO bundled Premiere/Photoshop Elements 4.0 I may reproduce the same behavior.

My project consists of some AV CHD clips and one sequence in DVD-format MPEG2. All of this in PAL. I use one of the standard menus (cinema theme).

I may burn it to blue ray. And it works fine. But I can't neither directly to a DVD-disc nor to a DVD-folder. Every time Premiere encodes the clips and the menu structure - never mind, that it isn't necessary, because I made no changes to the project. But it stucks while burning. The progression bar stays at somewhere below 10 percent. That's it. There's no error message and I may cancel the process. But it won't go further on when I choose to not cancel - even after hours or days...

There's no picture used in my project and just one title made with Premiere.

Have you got any suggestions or bugfixes?

Best regards,

Edward

• 11. Re: Can't burn to DVD

If you're looking for help, we're always glad to help.

But if you're just going to complain, please don't tag onto threads where we are helping people work through their issues.

We're just users helping users here. If you've got an issue with the program, please contact Adobe using the CONTACT button at the top of this forum. Thank you.

• 12. Re: Can't burn to DVD
                                EdwardAci Level 1

Sorry. I just wanted to give help finding the reason of the described issue. In my opinion it is the same one. The thread does not show a solution so far...

• 13. Re: Can't burn to DVD
                                  EdwardAci Level 1

Dear Frank,

trying around I found out something more. I had success writing to DVD using normal PAL dolby profile. Just the one I need -> widescreen PAL dolby <- stucks. Interesting thing is, that there's no error message and the application still responds. The process may be cancelled and the application normally closed. But not closing and trying to start the rendering process another time freezes the application.

I totally agree with you, that the quality has to be better with adobes software. Never mind if it is an expensive professional product or a relatively cheap consumer solution. It shouldn't be necessary to be tested by end users. They should do a better job.

I'm keen on knowing what the adobe people answer on monday!

And there are more time consuming errors. I.e. there are many crashes associated with titles, fonts and menus...

Best regards and many thanks for answering,

Edward

• 14. Re: Can't burn to DVD

Have a look at my post above. It links to troubleshooting steps that will show you where your disc burning problem is occurring and shows you how to either fix or work around it.