Expand my Community achievements bar.

Form access and return problems with Mac users

Level 1

I am preparing several forms through LiveCyle Designer and am experiencing problems with Mac users:

Some of them cannot open the form

Some of them can open the form, but cannot fill it out

Some can fill it out but the Submit by Email button or Print button are "dead"

Some (although very few) Mac users have no problems at all.

I would like to have all users be able to access, fill out, and return to me, either by using a Submit button or saving it and returning as an attachment.

3 Replies

Former Community Member

Are all of the MAC users using the same versioon of Reader or Acrobat to view\fill in the form?

Regards

Steve

Level 1

I work for a non-profit association that serves hundreds of music teachers and they have computers ranging from old to new, to public library access, etc. etc.  We have been using Microsoft Word and Excel forms in the past but they present problems, too.  I had thought Adobe Forms would solve this since pdf's seem to be accessible by almost everyone. This obviously is not the case.  I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or that I'm just dreaming that this is the solution to replacing the Word and Excel form docs.

Are Acrobat forms supposed to be accessible by macs, pc's, new and old computers?  Is there something in LiveCycle that I'm not doing to get the forms to open, filled out and returned?  I can work with returning via an attachment or by the submit button (although that doesn't work very well at all - only for a very few).

???? Puzzled....

Former Community Member

PDF forms can be used on Macs and PCs, but as the PDF standard evolves, new functionality is added that isn't always supported by older versions of the Adobe Reader.

When you are creating forms for an "unknown" group of users (meaning you don't know what version of Reader they have, the your best bet is to design a form that will function with older versions of  versions of Reader.   You should also encourage your users to upgrade their version of Reader to the most current (if possible).  This will help reduce the possibility of problems with the form.

Regards

Steve