5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 6:46 AM by the_wine_snob

Question about 1080p MP4 files as inputs

Jay B.

Hello All,

It's been a long time since I visited last. I just ordered a Sanyo FH1 camcorder to try out for the first time. I have been trying to use hybrid cameras for HD clips to go along with my photos in integtrated photo/video shows, but have been disappointed with the IQ, sharpness, and motion when playing the files on my PS3. I usually use ProShow for slideshows, but want to go back to using PREL (I have 7.0) when I have more clips than pix. Will it handle these FH1 1080p60 files as Inputs? I understand that PREL 7 does not output a full 1080p file, but would like to start working with it again. Any experiences would be helpful...

Jay B.

• 1. Re: Question about 1080p MP4 files as inputs
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I would not use Premiere Elements to edit the p60 files, Jay. It usually doesn't go.

On the other hand, Premiere Elements 7 can edit standard AVCHD files -- assuming you've got the requisite quad-core processor and 4 gigs of RAM to handle them.

• 2. Re: Question about 1080p MP4 files as inputs
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jay B

I would have to dig out the details, but several months ago I did bring 1080p60 into the Premiere Elements 7 Timeline and was able to edit it successfully, realizing, as you do, that there is no export for 1080p from Premiere Elements. I would give it a try, using the Premiere Elements 7 project preset (New Project dialog) of NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080i30 (or the PAL counterpart). That does not prohibit you from making a different export choice.

I did some reading on your camera, the Sanyo FH1. In the Full-HR mode, it looks like it offers the 1080p60 (1920 x 1080 pixels at 60 frames per second, progressive). But, it appears you have an alternative in the Full HD mode of 1080i60 (1920 x 1080 pixels at 60 fields per second (30 frames per second), interlaced). It will be interesting to see how they compare. Whichever way, from what I have read, the capture is to an interlace sensor in the camera, before it is recorded to the camera's medium.

I am just an explorer in this, but my initial venture into this "can Premiere Elements 7 handle 1080p" indicates Yes.

I will be looking forward to your results.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Question about 1080p MP4 files as inputs
              Jay B. Level 1

Thanks for the input so far. Steve, I understand why you say it may not work, and will certainly report back on results. I hope that it does, because I am a devotee of Adobe interfaces and applications. If not, perhaps the next version will. Also, I do have a Core 2 Quad w/ 4gb and Vista 64-bit. It renders my Proshow stuff in 1080p and i in record time for me.

Thanks for the replies, I will report back!

Jay B.

• 4. Re: Question about 1080p MP4 files as inputs
                Jay B. Level 1

As promised, I said I would report back "test" results. PREL 7 was able to accept files from my new Sanyo FH1 recorded in 1080p60, 1080i60, and 1080p30 and output one new video file using the 1080i output setting. I then transferred it to my PS3 and it displayed with no problems on my 1080p LCD TV. Provisos to this statement:

• Very short clips - 20-30 seconds
                • No transitions or effects applied
                • Minimal editing performed

Yes, I do have a Core 2 Quad (Q6600) with 4GB or DDR2 Ram and Vista 64-bit, with HD vid card. I will let you all know further results as I discover them, but so far this is good news, because I want to keep using Proshow and PREL to handle my editing and output needs.

Jay B.

• 5. Re: Question about 1080p MP4 files as inputs
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for reporting. That info will benefit others. Please let everyone know of your progress and any problems that you encounter. All forum members will appreciate it.

Good luck,

Hunt