5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2009 6:58 AM by Jerry62712

How Do I: Accessibility

Jerry62712 Level 1

Does anyone have a practical example of how to make Flex components meet accessibility standards?  Please don't refer to the Adobe doc as I have read it already and don't get it.  What I would like to see is a working example.

Thanks,

Jerry

• 2. Re: How Do I: Accessibility
          Fabien Warniez

What kind of components in particular? I have examples but I can't paste them here.

I can help you though.

• 3. Re: How Do I: Accessibility
            Jerry62712 Level 1

I have Text and Label component on the "result" state and FormItem, TextInput and comboBox on the "base" state.  I find that toolTips on the TextInput componets are read by Jaws.  I have components (Header, Footer and Notices) that are on both and they have LinkButton and Text on them.

In addition, the comboBox items are not read aloud.  I put the descriptions in the toolTip for the comboBox, but that isn't good as you wouldn't know what item you are on moving through them.

• 4. Re: How Do I: Accessibility
              Fabien Warniez Level 1

You should look at Accessibility properties (like AccessibilityProperties.name, etc.) provided by flex, and maybe try to create a custom FormItem component.

You can also add tooltips to TextInput to define better. There are JAWS scripts for Flex that you need to install, you should find them on the web.

For the ComboBox I am still looking for the best way to do it, so cannot really help on that.

Basically, for focusable component you can access them in both modes, for non focusable (ie Text, Label) you have to switch to non forms mode.

Read the doc about JAWS to understand what that means.

• 5. Re: How Do I: Accessibility
                Jerry62712 Level 1

[WOW, this reply box came up in under a minute.  I had expected the 1/2 to 1 hour wait I normally get.]

>You should look at Accessibility properties (like AccessibilityProperties.name, etc.) provided by flex, and maybe try to create a custom FormItem component.<

Thanks for the reply, Fabien.  I've seen the accessibilityProperties in some of the doc, but not much on the usage of it which is why I asked the question in the first place.  Like most of the doc that I've found, it is self-referent and not very explainatory.  I bought a couple of books on Flex hoping to get a more definitive explaination, but they are too basic for this purpose.

They are "The Essential Guide to Flex 3" and "Learning Flex 3" in case you were wondering.

>You can also add tooltips to TextInput to define better. There are JAWS scripts for Flex that you need to install, you should find them on the web.<

I had to add the toolTips as there wasn't any other way to get Jaws to "speak" on the input form.  I also have them on the output form Text and Label fields to further describe them, but they are not spoken.  I downloaded the scripts for JAWS.  As I can hear the input stuff, I'm assuming they worked.

>For the ComboBox I am still looking for the best way to do it, so cannot really help on that.<

I appreciate the thought however.