13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2009 3:22 PM by the_wine_snob

Problem- Adobe Media Encoder Stopping Mid Queue

lilsull13 Level 1

I was exporting my final movie, which was about 60 minutes. It was taking a long time to render when exporting to a quicktime file, which I expected, however, the Adobe Media Encoder stopped the rendering an hour later, only rendering half before shutting down. I am exporting it as a widescreen, NTCS DV Widescreen. Could have I screwed up the format and that is why it's failing to complete the exporting??? What can I do to solve this and have it complete the export. At the end of the report is says disk is full. But I know my hard drive could not be full.

- Source File: C:\DOCUME~1\Sully\LOCALS~1\Temp\Wilks shot put_4.prproj
      - Output File: E:\Sequence 01.m2v
      - Preset Used: NTSC 23.976p Widescreen High Quality
      - Video: NTSC, 720x480, 23.976 [fps], Progressive, Quality 4.0
      - Audio: 48 kHz, 16 bit, Stereo, PCM
      - Bitrate: VBR, 1 Pass, Min 1.50, Target 4.00, Max 7.00 [Mbps]
      - Encoding Time: 00:03:40
      8/14/2009 7:13:45 PM : Encoding Failed
      -------------------------------------
      The Operation was interrupted by user

- Source File: C:\DOCUME~1\Sully\LOCALS~1\Temp\Wilks shot put_5.prproj
      - Output File: E:\Sequence 01.mov
      - Preset Used: NTSC DV
      - Video: 720x480, 29.97 [fps], Lower, Quality 100
      - Audio: 48000 Hz, Stereo, 16 bit
      - Bitrate: DV/DVCPRO - NTSC
      - Encoding Time: 00:03:44
      8/14/2009 7:26:22 PM : Encoding Failed
      The Operation was interrupted by user

- Source File: C:\DOCUME~1\Sully\LOCALS~1\Temp\Wilks shot put_9.prproj
      - Encoding Time: 00:57:28
      8/14/2009 8:28:28 PM : Encoding Failed
      ------------------------------------
      Error compiling movie.

Disk Full.

- Source File: C:\DOCUME~1\Sully\LOCALS~1\Temp\Wilks shot put_10.prproj
      - Encoding Time: 00:59:32
      8/17/2009 4:37:35 PM : Encoding Failed
      Error compiling movie.

Disk Full.

• 1. Re: Problem- Adobe Media Encoder Stopping Mid Queue
          Harm Millaard Level 7

So the question is, what additional disks do you need to get: at least 2 additional internal SATA 7200 disks.

• 2. Re: Problem- Adobe Media Encoder Stopping Mid Queue
            lilsull13 Level 1

I have a external hard drive with 913 MB available. All of my files that I use are on this drive. There is very little on the internal drive on this computer. Are you sure I would need two more internal drives????

• 3. Re: Problem- Adobe Media Encoder Stopping Mid Queue
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Three internals is really about the bare minimum for doing NLE work. Even my laptop has 3x 200GB SATA II's.

What is the connection type on your external? (Fingers are X'ed that you are not going to say USB.) With the laptop, I do a lot of editing to/from FW-800 externals (mostly 2TB units), and it's not the fastest process, but really very easily done. I do my editing this way for portability. So far, not one problem, but then I usually have at least 1.5TB free on each external. If I did not have so much invested in legacy FW-800 drives, I'd definitely go eSATA.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Problem- Adobe Media Encoder Stopping Mid Queue
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I have a external hard drive with 913 MB available.

That ain't much.  I'd accept the error message as accurate.  You need more hard drive space.

• 5. Re: Problem- Adobe Media Encoder Stopping Mid Queue
                  lilsull13 Level 1

It is an USB connection. I do not understand why I need more disk space or more hard drives if I have 930 MB hard drive...more is needed??

• 6. Re: Problem- Adobe Media Encoder Stopping Mid Queue
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Much, much more.  Look at a 1TB drive.

• 7. Re: Problem- Adobe Media Encoder Stopping Mid Queue
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I do not understand why I need more disk space or more hard drives if I have 930 MB hard drive...more is needed??

Well, much depends on the size and free space on your one internal, but the other will affect the location of your Scratch Disks.

1.) when one has a Project that they are Rendering, or Exporting, the Windows Virtual Memory (Page File) can grow pretty large. This will be on your internal HDD.

2.) with most operations, PrPro creates many large files, that are used for those operations. They can be much larger than the output file - much larger.

Also, with a USB, your connection speed is heavily compromised, and both data transfer, plus signals to/from the drive can be very far behind. PrPro could easily get tired of waiting (basically) and say "oh, what the heck!" Now, it doesn't happen quite like that, but you get the idea. I would recommend a USB drive be used ONLY for archival storage and not to be used to edit to/from. I am almost surprised that you have not yet had a crash with a USB external, cositng lost data. I am not much more a fan of FW-400, but I have not seen the "disk crashes" with those - they are just slow-w-w-w.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Problem- Adobe Media Encoder Stopping Mid Queue
                        lilsull13 Level 1

Excuse me folks, I have to make a correction, I have 913 GB available, not 913 MB.....my apologies...but would that stop a 50 min + file from being exported to a quicktime file, or do I still need more internal hard drive space on top of my 913 GB thats available on my external drive? 1 TB? 2?

• 9. Re: Problem- Adobe Media Encoder Stopping Mid Queue
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

OK.  That's a BIG difference.

You also said your internal drive was low on space.  It could be that AME needs more room on that one to do its thing.

It could also be that your external is formatted as FAT32, which has file size limitations that can artificially triger a "disk full" error.  (All drives need to be NTFS.)

• 10. Re: Problem- Adobe Media Encoder Stopping Mid Queue
                            lilsull13 Level 1

So I need a firewire cable that connects from my external hard drive to my computer?

• 11. Re: Problem- Adobe Media Encoder Stopping Mid Queue
                              lilsull13 Level 1

My drive, when I click properties, says it has FAT32 file system. When I click format...it gives me the only option of NTFS, but when I try to format it says that all my current files would be lost. I can temporarily move the files, but do I want to format it so that is it to NTFS?

• 12. Re: Problem- Adobe Media Encoder Stopping Mid Queue
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

If you particular external is a multi-connection unit, and your computer has a free FW connection, then yes. It will be seen the same, though with a faster, more stable connection.

What I would do first, before you change connections, is to go into the OS's disk management and assign a permanent drive letter to that external. Then, no matter what else might be plugged it, it will always be seen as that same drive letter. You will want to assign it the exact same drive letter that PrPro has seen it as, so you do not have to re-Link any media. That is why I say do this first. Otherwise you may waste a lot of time with "Where is File ____.MPEG?"

If your drive allows for FW-800, and your BIOS supports that (IEEE-1394b), AND you have an ExpressCard, PCMICA, or a spare PCI slot (all different), you can buy both the appropriate card and cable, and away you go. If your drive supports eSATA, I would definitely go with an eSATA PCI/PCIe card and cable. That will be the fastest.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Problem- Adobe Media Encoder Stopping Mid Queue
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

FAT-32 is your problem. DO NOT FORMAT!!!!!

You want Convert. That is very, very different. Back in properties, look for the Volume Label of your drive. Copy down this label exactly like it appears. Capitalization is important. Get it right.

You will need to then use a CMD Prompt command to Convert.

To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt

1. Open the Command Prompt window.
                                  2. In the command prompt window, type

convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format.

Notes

• To open a command prompt, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
                                  • You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.

Again - DO NOT FORMAT!

Good luck,

Hunt