26 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2009 3:13 PM by A.T. Romano

how do you drop a still photo into a video?

guy catelli Level 1

how do you drop a still photo into a video -- while continuing the audio track unchanded?

• 1. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Guy,

Just to make sure that I know what you want to do, tell me if this is not it.

Your Video is on Video Track 1, with the accompanying Audio on Audio Track 1. You want a still image to "replace" a portion of the Video, right?

Just Import the still (Get Media) and place it on Video Track 2. Adjust the Duration by click-dragging on the Tail of the still image.

If you want it to "fade-in/fade-out," then add a Cross-dissolve to each end of the still. Done.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Forgot to add two caveats:

1.) Resize your still outside of PrE to match either the Frame Size, or smaller if you want that Video to act as a background.

2.) Do not use Dip-to-Black, as it will also take Video Track 1 to Black, unless that is exactly what you want. Cross-dissolve will Fade-in/Fade-out your still image.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Last, but I cannot think of why you'd want to do this:

Place the CTI (Current Time Indicator) where you want the still to begin, and Alt-click on just the Video - use the Scissors tool to cut it. Go to where you want the still to end, and do the same there. This will cut just the Video. Delete that area of the Video, and manually replace it with the still. Add Transitions to suit.

No need to do this, and it can make any revisions a bit more difficult, but it will work too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Guy Catelli

Hunt may have already understood your goal and suggested ways to achieve it.

BUT, I am taking a different take on what you might be doing. Please check it out. If I am wrong, then just file the comments.

Do you have a group of photos on Video Track 1 and some audio on Audio Track 1? Further, are you trying to add a photo in the middle of what you already have on Video Track 1, and, when you try to do that, the audio on Audio Track 1 splits?

If so, hold down the ALT key of the computer main keyboard as you move the photo into place in Video Track 1.

I will be watching for your results.

ATR

• 5. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

I can certainly see that as a big possibility too. If so, you have helped Guy with the Alt key. I had not considered this.

One thing that I miss in PrE, that I use all the time in PrPro, is Track "Locking." I would like to see that capability added to PrE 8. That solves all sorts of issues similar to what you just addressed.

Thanks for the additional thinking on Guy's problem.

Hunt

• 6. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                    guy catelli Level 1

okay, i re-mastered the "Kelli and the Foot Fetishist e-Stalker" video.  mainly, i dropped in a still photo.  this was less of a headache than i had feared.  it's just a matter of dragging and dropping the photo (first cropped to 1920 x 1080) into the "Video 2" track on the Premiere Elements 7 timeline.

i had thought i would have to cut out the corresponding portion of the original video to avoid having a merged image of both.  but apparently, data in Video 2 completely overrides data in Video 1 (i suspect this might be true of, say, Audio 1 dubbed over by Audio 2, but i don't know).

i also faded the titles in and out, as well as the still photo.  it's just a matter of left-clicking on the clip on the timeline that you want to fade, then right-cliking on it and choosing Fade on the menu that appears.

and, i pushed the end title into the last couple of seconds of audio, when Kelli says, "it was scary."  this worked out better than i thought it would.

as things stand now, the video is on Video 1, the still photo is on Video 2, the talk is on Naration, and the music is on Audio 1.

• 8. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      apparently, data in Video 2 completely overrides data in Video 1 (i suspect this might be true of, say, Audio 1 dubbed over by Audio 2, but i don't know).

This is half true. Video Tracks are like Photoshop Layer - the top covers the lower ones. Now, the Audio Tracks are different - they "mix." There is a distinction to this behavior.

this worked out better than i thought it would.

Glad to hear this.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                        guy catelli Level 1

by popular demand, Kelli Applies Lip Liner to Audrey's Lips has been completely re-mastered. (ok, it was just one person who asked, but she's a very intelligent and articulate observer of such matters.  she noted that the clip suggests "interesting possibilities", but that men probably would be unaware of that.  i explained that "men are pretty simple, so we don't see too many moves ahead."  she laughed.)

i believe that in an earlier post i indicated that in the re-mastered version i would delete the in-camera audio and dub in the audio from the Zoom H4n audio recorder.  this i did.

(syncing the video and audio continues to be a nightmare, though ).

besides signifcantly improving the sound quality, using a separately recorded audio source allowed me to drop (2) still photos into the video track, and still preserve the continuity of the recorded conversation.

dropping in the stills the correct way (unlike in the first re-mastered video) was easier than i thought it would be.  it's just a matter of dragging the Premiere Elements 7's red vertical timeline-cursor to the point on the timeline where you want the insert to begin, and then dragging and dropping the still photo alongside the red cursor.  the amount of time the still will appear can be shortened or lengthened by dragging with the mouse -- the same way any other file can be extended or contracted.

the video coming out from the still was now running behind the soundtrack.  but, the timeline shows the exact duration of the still, so the video coming out was shortened with the mouse by that same duration, and then the audio and video were back in sync.

to add the "sound effect" of the camera's shutter clicking (actually its mirror slapping) before each still appears, i found a point on the audio recording that had the click of my camera actually taking a still, and that had only a little audio from the models underneath it.  removing all the audio before and after the sound of the camera click was, again, just a matter of finding the start/stop points i wanted, moving the timeline's red cursor to those points, and using the mouse to drag the ends of the audio file alongside the cursor.

because i wanted the sound of the camera click to merge with the converation anyway, i just put the audio file of the click on its own audio track (which allowed me to separately control its volume).

however, when i tried to copy and paste the audio file of the camera click to the beginning of the second still photo, i was not able to copy and paste by the normal method of using the mouse to right-click-file/left-click-"copy"/left-click-"paste".  eventually, i tried doing so by clicking on "edit" on the menu bar at the upper left and then clicking on "copy" and "paste", and there was no problem.  (go figure.)

as with the other re-mastered video, i brightened, increased contrast, made the hue a bit warmer, and added a little sharpening.  (this has to be done individually for each separate video file that makes up the whole piece -- at least that's what i did.)

interestingly, the audio level can be tweaked directly on the timeline by using the mouse to drag up or down a horizontal yellow line running the length of the audio file.

i again rendered in Adobe Flash Video (.flv).  (annoyingly, in XP at least, there's a default download destination that has to be reset everytime you want to save in a different location).  from a drop-down menu i selected "NTSC Flash Video 700k" (just in case) and left the file name as "Untitled" (since no matter what i change it to, it saves as "untitled.flv", so i have to rename it anyway once it's saved).

i went into "Advanced..." and, to preserve the dimensions and the HD, i unchecked "Resize Video", chose "Same as source" for the frame rate, and checked 2 "Encoding Passes" (just in case).    

for some reason, everytime i click the "save" button, it asks what i want to call these settings.  if i use the name i used for the same settings on the previous go-round, it says that that name is already used and (impliedly) can't be used again.  so, i add the new date, and yet another name for the same settings gets added to the drop-down menu (odd).

once the compressed .flv file was saved, it was an easy upload to youtube.

btw, it seems that the Elements 7's Audio Mix defaults to 0 dB, OR whatever the setting was in the prior saved version, unless i use the mouse to continuously "ride the slider pot".  that's ok for a 48-second video, but does anyone know of a way the dB can be set so that it just sits there, instead of moving back to where it previously was

• 10. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I usually recommend using audio keyframes rather than the Audio Mixer to precisely control the volume in your clips. The Audio Mixer just creates too many random keyframes, IMHO.

• 11. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I do agree that the default settings for the Audio Mixer's Keyframe settings are too much. I have adjusted mine to limit the number/timing of these Track Keyframes. Still, I rely on the Audio Mixer for much of my Audio editing. I will decide on the exact method, based on whether I want Clip control, or Track control. There is a big difference and the exact use should dictate which function that one uses.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I also have to say that I use the Audio Mixer in PrPro most often, as it offers much more power, than does the PrE version.

• 12. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                              washio

My video has a women looking out a window while riding on a train.  I want to keep the video rolling while fading a series of images in and out of the window.  I'm using the titles TASK function to insert images over the video.  Your help would be greatly appreciated!

• 13. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

To fill the windows with the changing images, you will want to explore Track Matte Keying. What you are talking about is PiP (Picture in Picture), but with the restrictions of the framework of the windows. It is exactly the same as with a TV set in your scene, with different images on that TV.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

washio

What specifically did you mean by "Task function to insert the images over the video"? Was it, as Hunt suggested Picture In Picture (Edit Mode/Effects/Presets/Pips) or something else.

If you do explore the use of Track Matte (Edit Mode/Effects/Video Effects/Keying) to achieve your effect, I rounded you up some classic Steve Grisetti articles on Track Matte and Keyframing:

http://videoinasnap.chuckengels.com/source/steve/steve_tips_02-06.htm

http://videoinasnap.chuckengels.com/source/steve/steve_tips_01-06.htm

These articles were done with an earlier version, but the principles remain the same. Principles tend to remain the same from version to version of Premiere Elements, it is the feature locations that seems to "travel".

As for the Track Matte itself. You could use the Premiere Elements Titler to create one. Or, for more control, you might explore the use of Photoshop Elements to create the Track Matte to be used in the Premiere Elements project.

Check out the basic concepts and see how you do. Of course, ask questions. You might want to start your own thread.

ATR

• 15. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Because of the great potential for having a totally different need, I agree with ATR on starting a new thread, so that those playing along at home do not get confused.

Given the info, I think that PiP and the Track Matte Keying will be the end-game, and also as ATR mentions, PS/PSE might be the best vehicle to accomplish the Track Matte.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                                      washio Level 1

I've exploded both methods (PIP and Matte) but did not find these easier or more effective at fading in & out still images within a video.  I did not find this rather basic feature in Titles either.   At this point, I'm taking a stiil or the last video frame, exporting to photoshop, embedding the image with a funky looking window frame I made in Illustrator, then importing again into Pe7.  Looks awful and amateurish. Plus, the interior of the train was yellow, Pe7 cannot adjust the color, and the cops on the train told me "It against Federal law to video tape on a train".

• 17. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Maybe I was missing what you needed to do.

I had imagined something like this:

Medium close-up of woman on train, looking out the window. Initially, the scenery is passing by. As she contemplates, either something past, or yet to come in the movie, the view outside the window fades out to be replaced by footage of another event.

If I had this to create, I'd first hope that the camera was pretty well locked down for the shot, or I'd be ready to do a lot of work, were it handheld and shaky. I'd study the footage from the train carefully, and add Markers to Frames where the camera had moved enough be noticable. I'd then go back, and Export a still image from each of those marked Frames, keeping them in sequence. I'd bring each of these into Photoshop to use as my Mask, or as a "guide," depending on the next question - do I want the imagined image to appear to fill the window frame 100%, or would a soft-edged PiP be more in keeping with an "imagined" image?

If I chose the former, I would create a Mask with the outline of the window. This would become my Track Matte for the Track Matte Keying Effect.

Let's say that I choose the latter. Then I'd do a quick outline of the window frame, probably with the Pen Tool and Stroked Paths. I'd Import these into PrE and locate them on an upper Video Track, to use as a guide. I'd Import the imaginary image footage and place it on a higher Video Track. I'd size it with Effect>Motion>Scale to fit within the window. If I needed to, I'd add the Effect>Feather Edges (do not know if this is in PrE?), or would use a Track Matte (as above, but with a soft edge) and apply Track Matte Keying to the imagined image footage.

Once I had the basics down, I'd then go in and Keyframe any necessary Scale, and Motion, as was needed. For the PiP, I'd Keyframe its Opacity to transition in from 0% to 100%, and then back to 0%, when the woman ceases to imagine that other image.

Exactly how to you see the scene playing out in the train, and how was that footage shot?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          the interior of the train was yellow, Pe7 cannot adjust the color

This is a limitation of PrE. It only has the Auto Color Effect. One of the big pluses of PrPro is the included Color Balance, Fast Color Corrector and Three-way Color Corrector. There are also 3rd party color correctors, like Colorista, that extend the capabilities even more. I doubt that many of these will work in PrE, but have also never tried to install them. I wish that PrE had at least Color Balance (maybe PrE 7 does, but PrE 4 does not).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            the cops on the train told me "It against Federal law to video tape on a train".

It's been a long time since I rode the train in the US, but I'm not surprised. I was almost arrested, not that long ago, for photographing a pumping station in New Orleans. This particular pumping station is right in the middle of Broad Street and was probably built at the turn of the previous century, i.e. around 1908. What was ironic was that just up the street was another pumping station, and back in 1970's, I had designed the pen tubes for that installation, when it was rebuilt. Anyway, the NOPD jumped on me, called both the FBI and Homeland Security. It took several hours of questioning me, plus phone calls all over the US. Going back, I had been cleared to photograph Presidents Carter and Ford, and former President Nixon. I had also been cleared to photograph the B-2 bomber and its hanger, back when it was still ultra-top-secret. Obviously, I was less than a national threat to security.

Now, recently, I videoed the entire train ride from Hartford Court to Waterloo Station in London, and no one said a word?

Sorry about that, and will remember this for the future.

Hunt

• 20. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

What is the basis for your definite answer about Premiere Elements 4 and no "Color Balance"? I may have some good news for you...your wish answered in this regard.

I have Premiere Elements 4 and 7 as well as 2, but I will just focus in on versions 4 and 7.

In either Premiere Elements 4 OR 7:

Effects

Video Effects

Category: Adjust includes Auto Color and Channel Mixer.

Category: Image Control includes Color Balance HLS, Color Balance RGB, Color Match, Color Pass, and Color Replace.

If you get a chance, check them out against their Premiere Pro counterparts, see if they are "in name only", and see if Premiere Elements gains any points in this regard.

ATR

• 21. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thank you. I just did not scroll down far enough - DUH!

I found the Auto versions in Adjust, looked down a bit, then stopped short. Guess I'm too used to the Effects layout in PrPro. I should have done a Search in the Effects Panel to be sure. I should know better.

Thank you so much for the correction. I looked for a smiley with "egg on my face," but could not find that one either...

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 22. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Just checked out Color Balance RGB and it is very similar to that in PrPro. In Pro, one has the adjustments for Highlights, Midtones and Shadows, but otherwise very similar.

To the recent poster with the "yellow" train shots - ignore what I typed in error earlier. Use the Color Balance RGB to correct that yellow out. You might want to do a little Brigtness & Contrast first, and plan on revisiting those adjustments, after you do the Color Balance RGB. I like Levels (not Auto Levels) in PrPro, but this is one that IS missing from PrE 4. Now, Auto Levels might well work better in PrE, than they do in PrPro. In that latter program, I refrain from Auto-anything, as I see pulsing and strobing in the affected Clips. I use the manual versions only there.

Thanks again to ATR for the correction on Color Balance RGB,

Hunt

• 23. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Did you ever remember hearing about or seeing on TV a very old movie called the Man Who Came to Dinner? Bottom line, he came to dinner and ended up staying months. I feel that way about myself and this forum sometimes, but I just cannot turn away from yet another question.

You lured me back into this topic again. This time with the part about AutoSettings in Premiere Elements. Did you know that, if you use Premiere Elements 4 or 7, Effects, Video Effects, Category: Adjust, AutoLevels, there is an Edit Effects button to do just that even though it says AutoLevels?

ATR

• 24. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I looked for an override for the Auto function, but did not find it. In PrPro, the Shadow & Highlight Effect comes in set to Auto, but that can be overridden. Maybe I missed a scrolled Panel yet again?

Auto_Levels_01.jpg

Hunt

• 25. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

As I said in the last post, you can adjust the "AutoLevels" in Edit Effects with the options/sliders in the Properties Palette.

If you want to see a before and after of the AutoLevels adjusted, then you can click the visibility icon to the left of the panel (next to the panel name "AutoLevels").

You can just leave the visibility icon Off if you do not want the AutoLevels adjusted or otherwise.

If you want to get rid of it altogether

a. right click the Properties Palette's AutoLevels Panel, select clear, and it is gone.

b. if the circumstances are right, use the Undo button at the top of the interface or Window Menu/History.

ATR

• 26. Re: how do you drop a still photo into a video?
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I misunderstood. What I thought you were talking about was a setting to turn the "Auto" aspect off, like the Highlight & Shadow Effect in PrPro, that I mentioned.

I find that if there are any changes in the lighting, the Auto-anything makes rather a mess of things. Now, one can go in and Razor/Scissor the Clips into smaller segments, then apply the Auto Effects, with different settings. I find that the application of the non-Auto settings does a much better job.

It's the same with the various Auto Adjustments in PS - I would rather have the complete control of the full Adjustment, such as Levels, or Curves. Maybe it's just my personal quest for absolute control...

Thanks for the clarification. I was convinced that I had just missed a checkbox, or similar.

Hunt