11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 4:57 PM by John T Smith

Memory to build an i7 Computer

John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

While reading about the i7 at Intel, I made a note that you should never use memory at above 1.5 volts (this seemed to be for a "stock" configuration, no mention of overclocking)

Looking at 1066/1333/1600 memory, it seems that only the 1066 uses 1.5 volts... all the other is 1.65 or listed as a "range" of voltage

Since I plan on buying 12Gig (unless Newegg starts stocking 4Gig sticks, in which case I MIGHT decide on 24Gig) I am thinking that 1066 memory at the "stock" speed and voltage will be plenty fast enough

Such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148246

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Memory to build an i7 Computer
          Harm Millaard Level 7

John,

The limit is 1.65V. If you go over that voltage, you are entering a very unsafe area. Normally the voltage is 1.50V

You know that my normal OC'ed to 3.6 GHz system with the OCZ sticks runs quite reliably and this is my RAM voltage:

18-08-2009 07-33-19.jpg

With these figures I have these results, using DDR3/1333 sticks:

30-07-2009 19-16-16.jpg

Some memory sticks like more power than others, but I think that most are utterly content with only 1.5V and that is completely safe.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Memory to build an i7 Computer

Thanks for the info... I'm going to go back to Intel and do some more i7 specification reading, and will also Google to find memory benchmarks

Even though the Gigabyte EX58-UD4P motherboard will do overclocking, I do not plan to do that... just never have, and the idea doesn't work for me

With 12Gig of even 1066 memory, I think I will be pleased with the speed increase over my old P4 3.2Ghz CPU and 2Gig of ram (2gig is the max for the old Intel D875PBZ motherboard I'm using)

I'm also going to read about 1333 and 1600 memory, to see if they will work at "rated speed" and 1.5 volts

So many options to select, so I'm glad of all the help in this forum

• 3. Re: Memory to build an i7 Computer
              Jim_Simon Level 9

With 12Gig of even 1066 memory, I think I will be pleased with the speed increase over my old P4 3.2Ghz CPU and 2Gig of ram

I was.  My new i7 at stock speed with 1033 memory is a good 4 to 6 times faster on most tasks.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Memory to build an i7 Computer

I went back to Intel to verify... says 1066 memory at 1.5v

So, that is what I will buy... thanks all

• 5. Re: Memory to build an i7 Computer

Well... looks like I will max out at 12Gig (6x2Gig sticks) and not 24Gig

I haven't look "all over" the 'net, but BUY.COM has single 4Gig sticks for $370 - no way I can afford 6 of those!

http://www.buy.com/prod/crucial-4gb-ddr3-sdram-memory-module-4gb-1066mhz-ddr3-1066-pc3-850 0/q/loc/101/210224968.html

I can get 6Gig (3x2Gig) for about $110 or so, so I'll just get 2 sets and be happy with 12Gig

• 6. Re: Memory to build an i7 Computer
                    Jim_Simon Level 9

I think with 12 GB you'll probably never, ever use the swap file.

You should be fine.

• 7. Re: Memory to build an i7 Computer

>I think with 12 GB you'll probably never, ever use the swap file.

Even if "seldom" I'm sure it will be a lot faster than XP and the 2Gig of ram I am limited to using now... not even counting the fact that the i7 is WAY faster than the Pentium4 I'm now using

And, who knows, by the time Premiere/Encore CS5 is released, there may be more competition in the 4gig ram stick market, bringing those prices in line with the current 2gig ram sticks (but... I won't hold my breath on that one!)

• 8. Re: Memory to build an i7 Computer
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

John,

In another thread I posted this answer, but since it applies here as well, I copied it for your infomation:

I have only 12 GB. There is however a sound reason for that amount and not 24 or even more. A PC is only as good as it's weakest link. Usually that are the mechanical parts, meaning disks. And there is always a budget limitation. And there is availability of parts.

With all these restrictions, only 6 DIMM slots, and the limited choice of DDR3-10600 sticks in anything other than 2 GB sticks (just looking today I was not able to find any 4 GB sticks, apart from Kingston Value RAM in ECC edition with CL9 at triple the price of 2 GB), I considered it better to invest in disks than a long search for very expensive memory sticks.

These considerations make that the most logical amount of memory today is 12 GB and not 24 or more, at least on mobo's with only 6 DIMM slots.

Would Adobe use more than 12 GB, even up to xx GB, well I don't know, but the diminishing returns of the extra memory at very high prices make it more logical and economical to invest in a good disk setup.

Hope this helps.

• 9. Re: Memory to build an i7 Computer

>there is always a budget limitation

Yep... and my budget has just become more limited (long, sad family saga of a wife, her grandson and a co-signed truck loan that went sour due to drugs)

Since 4Gig ram sticks are very high now, and will likely still be high when I'm ready to build, I've decided that 12Gig is "plenty enough" for what I'll be doing

• 10. Re: Memory to build an i7 Computer
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Jeez, that stinks... I feel sorry for you and your family to get dragged (not drugged) into this.

• 11. Re: Memory to build an i7 Computer

My wife (the grandmother) is an open, trusting person... she doesn't lie, and has a REALLY hard time believing that someone, especially her grandson, would lie to her

I once had a "not great" experience with loaning a relative money, so advised her NOT to co-sign... but, since her mother helped her when she was starting, she wanted to "pay it forward" by helping her grandson when he graduated and started a job that required a truck

Since her son and now X-daughter-in-law had a crappy (is it possible to have a negative number for a credit rating?) money history, they couldn't do anything at all for their son... so grandma stepped up

That was bad enough, but then she agreed to a used but still fairly large and expensive truck

We found out much later that grandson had started using drugs in high school, added drinking to excess as soon as he could get in the bars, and things only got worse as he earned more money

End result is he's out of a job, a couple months into a one year rehab program, and we faced the decision of letting the truck be repossed and our credit rating taking a hit... or taking a financial hit by paying off the loan

While drugging he had totally TRASHED the truck, so the loan she paid off was WAY more than the "just above scrap" money she got for selling the rolling trash pit that had been a nice truck

Oh well... my P4 computer is a bit slow by today's standards, but it's not like I HAVE to replace it right away

I will just have to wait to build an i7 until "late" 2010 instead of some time early in the year