3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2009 9:58 PM by RBLampert

Illustrator CS2 won't install on a Vista machine

RBLampert

I've been trying to install Illustrator CS2 on a new computer running Windows Vista.  The rest of the CS2 suite installed but Vista isn't listed as an acceptable operating system for Illustrator.  Is there a later installation file I can run that allows installation on a Vista machine, or a patch I can insert to allow it?  If so, where can I find either one?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Illustrator CS2 won't install on a Vista machine
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Did you turn off UAC? Run as administrator? Turn off Aero/ switch to a differnt theme? Try these things first. Also provide more indfo about your system. there is no magic patch or something, eitehr it installs or it doesn't. It may not be officially supported or endorsed, but some users are using such setups regardless, so there are ways to get it working.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Illustrator CS2 won't install on a Vista machine
            Paevo Kelley Level 2

I run AIcs2 on Vista, though it's the only program from the entire suite that refuses to work in Aero mode; old nasty coding, I suppose is the culprit...

• 3. Re: Illustrator CS2 won't install on a Vista machine
              RBLampert Level 1

I'm no system expert, Mylenium.  Here's what I can tell you: yes, I did try the installation as the administrator.  No luck.  Didn't know to turn off aero or switch to a different theme, so haven't tried that.  Don't know what UAC is, so can't (yet) turn it off.  Here's the thing: all of the other parts of the suite installed.  The setup.ini file for both Illustrator CS2 and InDesign CS2 contains the following:

[SupportOS]

Win95=1

Win98=1

WinME=1

WinNT4=1

Win2K=1

InDesign installed; Illustrator did not because the OS "was not supported," or words to that effect.  Unless "WinNT4" is code for Windows XP, these programs shouldn't have installed on an XP system, yet they did.

System CPU is an AMD Phenom 9600 quad-core.   6 GB RAM.  What else would you need to know?