9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2010 11:50 AM by bingtamers

why crossdomain.xml

maxflex
      sorry i don't get it:

why should having a crossdomain.xml policy file on the server that i load data from add any security?

if i'd operate a malicous site i'd just put the crossdomain.xml on my site.
      it does not seem logic to me that any server can decide if it is secure that a flash app can load data from it.
      it would seem more reasonable that the flex/flash app itself decides where it is safe to load data from.

i don't understand the security underlying this concept.

what am i missing here?

thanks,
      maxflex
        • 1. Re: why crossdomain.xml
          Gregory Lafrance Level 6
          You deploy the Flex app SWF from some server, but your design may have that SWF getting data from some domain or even sub-domain different from the domain that served the SWF.

So you specify what other domains your SWF can access data from in the crossdomain.xml file. That way if I grab your SWF from a network stream, I can't place it on my server and have it access my malicious data.

That's just one example, but that's tight security.
          • 2. Re: why crossdomain.xml
            bingtamers

I don't get it, either. It seems to be a way of limiting your content from being included by a site running on another domain. It's not really about security, from what I can see. See what adobe has to say:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/articles/crossdomain_policy_file_spec.html

" A cross-domain policy file is an XML document that grants a web client—such as Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Reader, etc.—permission to handle data across multiple domains. When a client hosts content from a particular source domain and that content makes requests directed towards a domain other than its own, the remote domain would need to host a cross-domain policy file that grants access to the source domain, allowing the client to continue with the transaction."

So let's say Company A has some great content and doesn't want it included in Flash apps running on another domain. They put a restrictive crossdomain.xml file in place. I don't know why Company B doesn't just download the content using curl or wget, host it locally, and do the include ... but I guess that comes down to avoiding legal issues.

So this is a content distribution limitation mechanism, not a security feature. Very confusing!

• 3. Re: why crossdomain.xml
              Flex harUI Adobe Employee

I believe the key scenario works as follows:

You work for a bank.  You hook up your computer to the bank's intranet

accessing the bank's servers at http://internal.mybank.com.  The bank has

firewalls up preventing servers at evil.com from stealing information from

the internal.mybank.com computers.

A former co-worker sends you an email saying: "Hey, check out my vacation

photos on my facebook page". Using that same computer, you go to his

facebook page.  A facebook SWF shows you his vacation photos but is actually

a "secret agent".  Unknown to you, it makes a request to internal.mybank.com

because the former co-worker knew that is the URL of the servers.

Because the SWF is running on your computer, it is inside the firewall and

does have access, but Flash won't let the request work because it knows the

secret agent Flash SWF is hosted from facebook.com and there is no

crossdomain.xml allowing it at internal.mybank.com.  Otherwise, the secret

agent app would download stuff and redirect it out to evil.com.

• 4. Re: why crossdomain.xml
                drkstr_1 Level 4

^^^ What he said.

Flash is run on the client, which means any website could potentially execute network code behind your firewall. With a desktop application, at least you have to concent to this (IE. downloading and installing it).

• 5. Re: why crossdomain.xml
                  Devtron Level 3

does anyone have a good tutorial on how to begin using crossdomain.xml?

i wanted to look into using it but couldnt spend much time figuring out how to add the file to my project. Is it just an empty XML file you create by hand? Or is it generated or added to the project in a special manner? Any help is appreciated....

• 6. Re: why crossdomain.xml
                    CoreyRLucier Adobe Employee

Well, this might be a good read :

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14213.html

FWIW, if it wasn't clear, the XML needs to be deployed at the root of the domain from which you are obtaining content.

-C

• 7. Re: why crossdomain.xml
                      drkstr_1 Level 4

I would also like to point out that it's common practice to proxy data connections through your own server. The idea is that the crossdomain.xml is placed on your own remote host, and it handles all necessary external communications.

• 8. Re: why crossdomain.xml
                        Devtron Level 3

hey Cheers for that, for real, thanks man!

• 9. Re: why crossdomain.xml
                          bingtamers Level 1

Thanks for sharing that URL. I think this is the section that applies to my XSS issue:

If you imagine that the "public server" is instead a "hacker's server," and that instead of pushing out nice public content he's sharing harmful links to malware, etc., then I think you see the problem

"A public server that allows data access from any domain

Some sites are intended to be accessed by anyone. They contain publicly available data, such as news feeds and web services.

The Flash Player, and web browsers, generally disallow access to data outside the current domain. Because of this, a common practice is to deploy a proxy script on the server that hosts the Flash movie, which then requests data server-side before returning it to the movie.

This is a standard practice, but it requires the creator of the Flash movie create server-side logic just to access public data. If the public server has a policy file, all Flash movies can access its data without any additional server scripts.

A policy file that permits all domains to access it uses a wild card instead of specifying individual domains.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!DOCTYPE cross-domain-policy SYSTEM "http://www.macromedia.com/xml/dtds/cross-domain-policy.dtd">

<cross-domain-policy>

<allow-access-from domain="*" />

</cross-domain-policy> "