26 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 1:29 AM by Harm Millaard

New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...

Zedman1000

Hey guys, few questions.

1) What is the best settings to use for a new project? My project is to cut up a few of these old asian movies i have (AVI container, H264 codec, 640x320, 30fps).

2) When i just chose a setting i thought was right just to get into it and get going the videos went in weirdly and in the preview is very far away from where it should be. As in, ill scroll to an hour into the movie on the track, and it will only be like 30 mins in on the preview and the audio is WAAAAAAY off.

3) The video preview doesnt work, i can just manually scroll not play. And when i do scroll i get problem '2)'.

This is all in Adobe Premier CS4 Pro.

Specs...

Core i7 920 3.7ghz

GTX260+ SLI

6GB DDR3

Vista x64

Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Nothing appears wrong with your hardware, but your source material, that is another matter. Where did you get it? Try converting this stuff to MS DV AVI type2 before importing into a standard DV project.

• 2. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
            Zedman1000 Level 1

The material is of a really old movie and thats why it is hard to find clearer copies of it. I did not capture the source material myself.

Im not familiar with the formats and such that you guys use but are you reffering to what my third party convertor lists as MSmpeg4v2? In which case, it will be using an AVI container, that codec, 30fps and the 640x320 (res of the source material)?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Really old movie and .h264 are a contradictio interminis. .h264 is pretty new and it would be strange for a really old movie to have been encoded with a codec that did not exist at that time.

You can try a desktop setting with the right dimensions and framerate for your sequence.

• 4. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                Zedman1000 Level 1

It was in some ridiculous format so i reencoded in the best codec i could. Plus this issue occurs with ALL my videos(xvid mostly), no matter what they are not just this one.

I really dont think im setting the project up correctly.

EDIT: I have uploaded a video of the problem.

As you can see, the video preview does not play by itself, and when using manual scroll the video is immensly behind where it should be while the audio is good. This makes it imposible to work with as i cant see anything im doing..... Note that at the 5 minute stage as shown on the time line, the preview is showing footage which is within the first 15 seconds.... weird.

• 5. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Anything in a 'ridiculous' format should be converted to an editable format, not to another 'ridiculous/uneditable' format if you want to use it for editing. .h264 is not to be considered an editable format (sometimes that is all you have, so you have to live with that). MS DV AVI type2 IS an editable format. In general avoid format conversion to an absolute minimum. So, convert this old material to DV and then edit. Connect your player for the old material to a DV camera/deck and use that as a pass-thru for DV capture.

• 6. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                    Zedman1000 Level 1

I dont have any  DV camera/decks or anything. Just my head, fingers and my pc.....

I asked you if MS DV AVI type2 was the codec i found before and you havent responded. You have to excuse me for not understand, i have no idea about film editing and production, even the basics.

I just thought id pick up a task ive wanted to do for a while because i finnaly have the pc to do it.

Please explain further.

PS: My video attatchment is in my prior post, it may help you understand the exact problem if you dont already.

• 7. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                      dsladek

You mentioned, "640x320 (res of the source material)".

It would really be great, if you could give us a link to a few frames of the original source material, not the transcoded stuff.

In which case, we may be able to suggest a preset for you to use.

I'm sure by now Harm has also run a Gspot on the sample clip and looked it over.

Dennis Sladek

• 8. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                        Zedman1000 Level 1

The problem is not the video/media Any video i import fails to preview.

The video i attatched is a screen capture of me experiencing the error. (The attatchment is only 3.5mb so please take a look)

EDIT: Nvm guys, i converted to a high bitrate wmv and its all working. Thanks for the effort.

• 9. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Hi Dennis,

As they often say: 'Long time no see'.

How are you and what made you come here? Fed up with the lackluster attitude of Adobe with regards to Ultra? They should have incorporated it in the Master Collection IMO. I wonder why Karl or Mark did not have a say in this, or at least why they were bypassed on their opinions on this. Reminds me of the song: "Those were the days..."

I looked at the AVI file and it appears to be an XVid movie. Mind you, it was a screen capture, not the source itself from the looks of it, but the clip name clearly indicated XVid, which could easily be the source of the problem. Never try to edit XVid material, unless you have SM tendencies.

Convert to editable format first.

• 10. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                            Zedman1000 Level 1

Nice observation but you would be wrong, it was orignally xvid and i knew you would all get into a bind about the source being an xvid so i steered clear of telling you. Not that it should matter anyway, because the file i was having problems with was a H264..... But like i said, its fixed now i just converted to a wmv...

• 11. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry, but I don't think you get the message, so I will repeat it, if not at you personally, then for others to benefit from:

In editing there are a few basic rules:

1. DON'T convert unless you have to.

2. If you need to convert one format to another, use a lossless format (Lagarith or HuffYuv or uncompressed) or at least one that is easily editable, like MS DV AVI type2.

3. If you convert, never convert to a lossy format like WMV or other compressed formats.

4. Educate your clients to only supply original materials, not something crippled by encoding.

5. Explain to your clients that every conversion costs quality.

• 12. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                                Zedman1000 Level 1

WHAT CLIENTS??? WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT????

Im just mucking around in this thing to get the hang of it! I just need the preview to work so i can get started on learning, i know full well conversion to a lossy format should be avoided.... geezz...\

PS: You still havent answered my question on MS DV AVI type2 and yet you keep asking me to use it..... i dont get it....

• 13. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Occasionally Professional applications like Premiere Pro are used by professionals and the fact that they are professionals often implies they have clients, otherwise what is the sense of being a professional if you don't have clients? Not everybody using this software is a high-school dropout without proper education.

the source being an xvid so i steered clear of telling you. Not that it should matter anyway, because the file i was having problems with was a H264..... But like i said, its fixed now i just converted to a wmv...

That shows you have a long way to go. I wish you success with your education and hope it pays off at some moment in the future.

• 14. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                                    I asked you if MS DV AVI type2 was the codec i found before and you havent responded. You have to excuse me for not understand, i have no idea about film editing and production, even the basics.

No, because you mentioned a M4 format.

my third party convertor lists as MSmpeg4v2

If you have no idea about filming and production, even the basics, maybe you should try an easier solution, like the free WMM.

• 15. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Regardless of the motivation behind the work, converting your source footage to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio will allow you to Import, preview and edit perfectly.

I use DigitalMedia Converter to do this. You WILL need to have the proper CODEC's (do not install more than you absolutely need) installed. In this case, it seems that you will need Xvid (if you do not have it), and I would throw on DivX just to cover bases. You should already have the MS DV CODEC, but if you do not, install that one too. Convert once, to DV-AVI Type II, and then Import that. Since your material has already undergone the Xvid compression, there is nothing to be gained by going to a lossless CODEC, though they are good ones. All you'll get will be larger files with the same "compressed" material inside.

Once you have editing those DV-AVI Type II files, you can then Export to whatever you need for your intended delivery.

Do not use MP4, do not use WMV, do not use .MOV, or any others. Stick to DV-AVI Type II and it will be "as good as it gets."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        You still havent answered my question on MS DV AVI type2 and yet you keep asking me to use it.....

I'm not sure that I am following, as to what the exact question is. DV-AVI Type II is a format. There are few settings available, and 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio is one of them. Choose that. The CODEC is MS (MicroSoft) DV, but that will be defined for you, when you choose to convert to DV-AVI Type II files.

Again, do not use any other format, or CODEC for your conversions. There is nothing to be gained, and a lot to be lost. DV-AVI Type II is the exact workflow that PrPro was designed around for SD material. It does not get any better than that.

This is why it is constantly being recommended. Almost any other format/CODEC will screw things up somewhere.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                                          Zedman1000 Level 1

Why are you calling me a high school dropout who should use movie maker? I dont understand, i just wanted help..... why must you be so ridiculous, come out of your bubble and join us in the outside world.

Why cant i use a program ending with Pro and not be a proffesional?

But anyway, Great, thanks the_wine_snob, fantastic answer. I appreciate it. That actually clears it all up for me. Ill get back to you with how it all goes. Im thinking that because the movie is so old i should start by buying the remastered edition on dvd and start from that....

• 18. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            because the movie is so old i should start by buying the remastered edition on dvd and start from that...

If the remastering was done properly and well, this might get you as close as you can get, without being in Hollywood.

If one had a commercially released VHS (in good shape), that might be another.

The plus with the first is that you would likely benefit from the remastering. The downside is that it will have been compressed to MPEG-2, but Hollywood does a stellar job of this - far and away beyond what we mere mortals can ever do. The latter form, skips the MPEG-2, but then one is going from a VHS (not the best format for quality, with problems of its own), and it would have to be digitized with something like a GV/Canopus 110, or 300 and their Edius software.

One caveat - please do consider all copyright laws (US and International), regardless of which way you choose to go.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Why cant i use a program ending with Pro and not be a proffesional?

You can...if it's Movie Edit Pro.

The name of the software isn't the deciding factor.  The complexity and power of it is.  If you want to use a complex, professional piece of software, you should be a professional.

First learn, then do.

Else you will get some attitude round these parts.

• 20. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                                                Zedman1000 Level 1

You can learn by working through a simple project....

But yes, thank you for all your help.

• 21. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Even with a sample project, you learn first, and then try it.  You read, you take notes in class, you watch a tutorial, etc.  Then you try it out.  Pushing buttons and trying it out without first learning what you're doing is a reversal or the steps.

No matter the subject, the proper sequence is first learn, then do.

• 22. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                                                    dsladek Level 1

Hi Harm,

I have been visiting frequently, although I don't post that often any more. There are many very talented and skilled users here, always helping out.

I'm always working with the CS4/MC and always eager to work with Adobe on current and forthcoming products.

---------

I do agree without any doubt, always avoid transcoding whenever possible.

Dennis

• 23. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                                                      Zedman1000 Level 1

What would you guys suggest for chroma keying (blue and green screening)? Would you suggest i just use inbuilt premiere effects such as the inbuilt chromakey/colorkeying tool or is there a superior plugin available? (Even if it costs a bit of money)

• 24. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Considering that we are now up to 23 replies on the original post, for this I would initiate a new post, with an appropriate title. There could be many, who would pass over this post, and they could well help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 25. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                                                          dsladek Level 1

With well-lit clips, it's easy to get a good key using the keyer built in Premiere Pro. There are lots of tutorials around for chroma keying in Premiere.

If the lighting on your clips is less than perfect, you may want to look into something like KeyLight, included with After Effects.

I highly suggest you put your time and effort into correctly lighting your chrome scene right from the start.

• 26. Re: New to Premiere CS4 - Need help...
                                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

In addition to Dennis' remarks, that lighting is absolutely crucial to the success of your keys, I would describe the various keyers available as follows:

Pr  keyer gives only very mediocre results.

Ultra CS3 is easy to use and gives very good results.

Keylight in AE is not as easy as Ultra, but very powerful once you have gone through a rather steep learning curve, but not as intuitive as Ultra.

Primatte is another keyer that is very well regarded.