7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2009 5:08 AM by Jim Hines

How to improve colour

hurstdag

If this is in the wrong section, I apologise.  I have tried searching several forums and websites, but I still see no answer.

I'll admit my camera isn't the best, but it seems to be producing poor colour images.  The colour is very gray and it doesn't produce nice bright vibrant colours.

A screenshot is attached.

Please help if you can.

• 1. Re: How to improve colour
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Apart from the weird dimensions, it looks pretty black to me.

Improving color is best done by adequate lighting during the shoot. From the looks of it, you need to reshoot.

• 2. Re: How to improve colour
            hurstdag Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry just realised the screenshot has come up blank.  It's not quite that dark.

See new attachment below.

• 3. Re: How to improve colour
              Harm Millaard Level 7

This is quite different.

You can try levels (don't try auto level, or anything auto for that matter, because it 'automatically' screws up) or the fast color corrector. It does not appear that bad for the overcast day it was shot. If you have it, try correcting with Color Finesse.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to improve colour
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Looks like a typical, overcast day in the UK.  Even to the human eye, colors would not be as bright and vibrant as on a sunny day.  Your scene looks fine to me, and I might even argue that trying to pop out the tonal pallette would alter the 'mood' of the scene to look quite unnatural.

• 5. Re: How to improve colour
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Harm's suggestion on Levels (I will second NOT using anything Auto), I will often add a bit of Highlight & Shadow, after Levels. One bit of warning. Do twirl down Highlight & Shadow, because it will default to Automatic, and you do NOT want that. Uncheck it, and the setting will go up to ~ 50%. Scrub that down a bit. I am usually doing no more than 15 - 25 for the setting, with Automatic OFF. You may then want to go back to Levels and make a tweak, or two to it, perhaps in the Output settings to nick up the Contrast a very little bit. I like having Levels applied first (order of Effects can make a major difference), and then Highlight & Shadow. With both of these, do not overdo it. Be subtle.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS glad that you reattached your JPEG. I was really worried about that first one!

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How to improve colour
                    hurstdag Level 1

Cheers for your replies folks.

• 7. Re: How to improve colour
                      Jim Hines Level 1

There are lots of ways to color correct. Way too many and much too involved to go into on this board.

Try this for kicks though. Duplicate your clip and stack it above the original. Then choose screen blending mode under the opacity parameter in the effects tab for the the top track. Try other blending modes. Put a tint effect on the bottom clip and adjust the contrast with a luma curve (maybe) and then put a leave color effect on the top clip and choose the color of the marchers jackets as the color to leave. Then set the amount to 100%.

There is a color correcting chapter in the manual it starts on page 295.