1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 18, 2009 7:31 AM by Mylenium

Automatically Generating Variations of an Object from a Set of Elements

***Jake*** Level 1

I spent most of the day trying to produce an assignment manually, but mistakes are too easy to make and almost impossible to catch. I'm hoping there's a way to automate the process. I want to create every possible permutation for arranging nine pennies (heads and tails) in a three-by-three square. Mathematically, there are 512 possible solutions, but eliminating duplicates would reduce the actual number of unique variations.

Since the forum doesn't have penny emoticons, let's say that nine children's desks are arranged into a three-by-three grid. On some days all the kids will be happy, and on others they'll all be sad. The rest of the year, the ratio and position of happy and sad kids must be one of the following possibilities:.

1st Variation
      70th Variation285th Variation512th Variation

:)

:(

9 Happy People

5 Happy and

4 Sad People

3 Happy and

6 Sad People

9 Sad People

Is there an Action (or other method) to automate the arrangement of pre-built objects into sets with out any duplicates?

[ETA] Darn. The table should be filled with and emoticons, but they aren't showing up. Here's what I created:

Sample.png

• 1. Re: Automatically Generating Variations of an Object from a Set of Elements
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I don't quite follow. Unless the objects themselves are parametrically defined, there is no way to make assumptions about how unique they are. Your items would have to be defined via a script or a set of variables, but then you wouldn't require to do anything in AI - the variables would already be filtered/ sanitized before bringing them into AI. So for what it's worth, you are probably looking in the wrong place. That's more something you would do in Flash, JavaScript/ Java, Mathematica, EasyStat etc.. From there you could generate an XML file and then you could make use of AI's variables options to replace the data with graphics.... I'm also not sure what you consider "duplicates"... Eliminating all transforms gives 18 unique shapes and that is that.

Mylenium