7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2009 6:10 AM by blairhartley

Memory slow performance solution

kirm99

Here's a solution that might help if Premiere is running slow for you.

I've been working on a 30 minute program, and Premiere has been really slow. i finally got a warning that my "system memory was low. save project and proceed with caution (whatever that means!)"

Then I realized that all the files that were being loaded each time I opened the project weren't all being used. I had a lot of video - alternate takes, animations that had since been revised, etc.

So I went thru and deleted several dozen clips - and now the program is running much faster!

• 1. Re: Memory slow performance solution
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Robert,

That applies to every application. If you never clean up, everything will be a mess.

I personally had a kind of 'duuhhh' experience when I read it. If I have a project with 30+ 1 hour tapes captured in HDV with scene detection and ended up with somewhere between 25000 and 30000 clips and use in total only 100 clips, don't you think it obvious that not including the unused clips will allow for a smaller project and faster loading times?

Nevertheless, it was good of you to post this, since although I may react with: 'That is obvious',  many may not have considered it, forgotten it and it often is very useful to point out the basics. You are right that this can significantly speed up your system and your projects. Thank you for your consideration and post.

• 2. Re: Memory slow performance solution
            blairhartley Level 1

I actually disagree that this is so obvious.

Speaking as a software engineer and occasional video editor it's not inconceivable that when designing a NLE like PP, the designers would make it such that having a whole bunch of unused assets in your bins would have no real effect on performance.  After all, if you've not chosen to use something, all it needs to be is a reference to a clip.  Nothing else.  Only when you use it does the software need to start dealing with caching and so on.  And if there is an argument which says some stuff needs to be cached in case it is used, then fine... but once that's done there should be no effect on speed.

Whilst I wouldn't argue that keeping your project lean and mean is a good thing for workflow, clarity etc, in my opinion it does seem a pity that the OP was having to clean up unused stuff to make the application usable.  I'm sure I'm not the only one to have suspected an occasional  sub-par approach to software design by Adobe.

Tim

• 3. Re: Memory slow performance solution
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Tim, I am only a hardware engineer, but I think I have to disagree with you because when you open that project it means that each and every item in the list is confrormed indexed and ready to be used.  Now if you run it through the Project Manager and "Exclude the Unused Clips" then I think those features are a well designed.

• 4. Re: Memory slow performance solution
                blairhartley Level 1

Bill, I know what you're saying and I think you're right - that's what PP is doing.

But consider if PP is slowing down because of all the unused clips, once things have been conformed what is it actually doing with those unused clips that's slowing the system down?  All I'm arguing is that a well designed NLE would conform everything for sure, but after that there's no need to be using processor time or any significant amount of RAM - the two things that are going to effect performance in this instance.

But what do I know?  I've never programmed anything as complex as PP.  But Adobe's track record on design decisions is not faultless...

Tim

• 5. Re: Memory slow performance solution
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Tim,

This remark:

But Adobe's track record on design decisions is not faultless...

gives me another 'duuuhhh' feeling. It is so obvious...

Can you agree this time?

• 6. Re: Memory slow performance solution
                    kirm99 Level 1

Great response, Harm.....

• 7. Re: Memory slow performance solution
                      blairhartley Level 1

Yes Harm, sadly this time I can.