5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2009 6:08 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 7 w or w/o Photoshop Elements 7

Tomsde

I just purchased Premiere Elements 7 last night and already own, but have not installed Photoshop Elements 7 (it was bundled with my Wacom Tablet).  I am a Photoshop CS4 user, I haven't used Elements because I can do a lot more with Photoshop and use masks, vector shapes, and channels.  Would my Premiere Elements experience be enhanced by installing Photoshop Elements 7 as well, or will I get along just fine without it.  I'm trying to avoid  having a lot of programs that do the same things on the computer (although I do have 3 video editors).

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7 w or w/o Photoshop Elements 7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There are two possible reasons that immediately come to mind for installing PSE 7, along with PrE7:

1.) PSE 7 has a SlideShow feature, that interfaces with PrE 7. If this is important, then it might be worth it.

2.) Organizer in PSE 7 is more robust, than the one in PrE 7. Organizer is like Bridge/Browser in full-versions of PS. However, there are some interfacing aspects, that might make it worthwhile installing.

There could be a few more, but am not aware of them. PS will have more features, that one is likely to use. I have PS, and have never been tempted to even purchase PSE. Also, while I do have PrE 4, most of my work is done in PrPro and Encore. All of my SlideShows are in PrPro, so that interface between PSE and PrE is not anything that I would use. Others, however, might really want that and it would be worth it for them.

I use Bridge for the role that Organizer plays, so do not find a need for it.

Hope that this helps. Also, as stated, there could well be more "features" between PSE and PrE, that I just do not know of.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7 w or w/o Photoshop Elements 7
            Tomsde Level 1

I have had PS Elements before, I don't like it's organizer because it is the only program you can use for your photos--otherwise if you move things in Windows Explorer you create broken thumbnail links.  I use ACDSEE for my photo organization as it is folder based and I can rearrange my assets where ever I want.

It seems PS Elements is the first place a new feature shows up before going to the next version of Photoshop; it has some features that Photoshop doesn't offer.  I was wondering if anyone knew, the DVD design component of Elements, does it also work with Lightscribe?  If it does it may be worthwhile installing Elements just for that.  I think I can design better titles for my movies in Photoshop though since I'd have access to layer styles (which I don't know if Elements supports) and non-destructive, rescaleable smart objects.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7 w or w/o Photoshop Elements 7
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I was wondering if anyone knew, the DVD design component of Elements, does it also work with Lightscribe?

I cannot help you. I do all of my DVD artwork in PS, using some Templates, that I created. Along with PS, there may be some AI work done too. When done, I just Flatten and Save_As a high-rez JPEG for use in my Epson R-1900's DVD/CD printing software. I like to end up there, because I can dynamically resize my inner-hub diameters to match the media being printed to. Unfortunately, it will not use a Layered .PSD, hence the JPEG. I still retain the Layered .PSD, so I can easily edit the artwork.

I have never used Lightscribe - sorry.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7 w or w/o Photoshop Elements 7
                Tomsde Level 1

That sounds like a good plan, I can always get a CD label template and design the label in Photoshop  and then import the image into my lightscribe enabled software.  I feel more comfrotable working in Photoshop, then I don't have to bloat my computer with redundant image editing software.  Although, I just got CS 4 and it's a lot different and there's a lot I need to do there to learn it.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7 w or w/o Photoshop Elements 7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

My "template" is basically a 4" x 4" image with one Layer containing a Stroked Path for the outter diameter and then a couple of Layers with Stroked Paths for several common inner hub diameters. These are used only for guides. I turn them off, before I Save_As, for use in the the Epson software. The outter diameter is much more important to me, as I can set the physical inner hub diameter in the Epson software, but I want to see where the "hole" will be. The Save_As file is the full 4" x 4" square, and would print with no hole, if I just sent it to my printer with paper in it. The hole is done by the Epson software.

Good luck,

Hunt