5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2009 1:01 PM by rasworth

DNG Profile Editor future?

rasworth Level 1

I prowled around in the DNG forum, didn't find anything except a statement from Eric stating there were no plans to upgrade.  Is this now a dead horse?  I thought it was useful, and looked forward to added functionality.  I would expect at least the program would be fully released, taken out of beta status.

Richard Southworth

• 1. Re: DNG Profile Editor future?
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Richard, the current plan is to leave the DNG Profile Editor on the Adobe

Labs site as a free download. It may have the "beta" designation, but it is

stable and can be used safely.

I do have a list of potential improvements I'd like to make (all contributed

by users -- thank you) but do not have a timetable as to when they are

likely to appear.

Eric

I prowled around in the DNG forum, didn't find anything except a statement

from Eric stating there were no plans to upgrade.  Is this now a dead horse? 

I thought it was useful, and looked forward to added functionality.  I would

expect at least the program would be fully released, taken out of beta status.

• 2. Re: DNG Profile Editor future?
            Jeff Schewe Level 5

rasworth wrote:

Is this now a dead horse?  I thought it was useful, and looked forward to added functionality.

Boy, talk about looking the gift horse in the mouth...

Not unlike DNG, XMP and a variety of other things Adobe does from time to time, the DNG Profile Editor is yet another example of Adobe trying to do right by users and advocate the (then) new DNG Profiles by offering a free DNG Profile editor. Yes, it's called "beta" (pretty sure there were two releases) but that didn't negatively impact the usability nor functionality.

Quite honestly, the engineering staff is hard at work are, well REAL engineering on real product that Adobe charges for, so it may be a while before Eric of Thomas or Zalman (there really are only 3 primary Camera Raw/DNG engineers–small staff considering what they get done).

If you want added functionality, what would it be (and would you be willing to actually pay for that functionality?).

Yeah, at the current price point (FREE) it's a pretty darn good deal...

• 3. Re: DNG Profile Editor future?
              rasworth Level 1

And the point of your post is what?  I don't  believe my post was done in such an antagonistic manner as to require any admonition on your part.  Eric answered in his usual calm and professional manner, completely to my satisfaction.

However after 32 years in high tech I do understand the implications of a dangling beta product, and as Eric pointed out there is useful functionality to be added.  Hopefully the project will bubble back up to the top and such will be accomplished.  In the meantime I will continue to (gratefully and humbly) use the present incarnation.

Richard Southworth

• 4. Re: DNG Profile Editor future?
                Jeff Schewe Level 5

rasworth wrote:

And the point of your post is what?  I don't  believe my post was done in such an antagonistic manner as to require any admonition on your part.

Your dead horse comment was what, a real question or a comment? Why not simply ask if the DNG Profile Editor was going to continue (without the dead horse comment)?

As far as the point of my post, it's to let you (and other people who read the forums) know that it was nice of the engineers to produce the DNG Profile Editor and give it away for free. Past that, unless you would be willing to pay for it, your expectations are bit high. The whole point of labs.adobe.com is to release sandbox projects and test apps and let them into the wild for users to play with. Some may indeed turn into products (like Lightroom and Soundbox) while some will forever be sandbox products...

• 5. Re: DNG Profile Editor future?
                  rasworth Level 1

I meant it as a question, not a comment posing as a question, although I can see how someone could give it a negative interpretation.  As far as your mission to defend  the ACR engineering team, I believe they are well able to do so themselves without your assistance.  I am a faithful Adobe follower, buy the Photoshop updates when available (without complaining), and  extoll and teach its capabilities to others.

So what say we quit beating a dead horse, and let this thread lapse?

Richard Southworth