3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2009 1:18 PM by ~graffiti

Convert a .jpg within a pdf into an ascii file or other digital format

JM.Bsci

I am trying to convert a file within a pdf into a digital format to go into custom software.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this.  I have attached an example image that was converted from the pdf to a .jpg.

NemecTest1_Page_1_Image_0001.jpg

Thank you for any suggestions

• 1. Re: Convert a .jpg within a pdf into an ascii file or other digital format
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since .jpg is a digital format (and so is PDF) and you've already managed to do that, maybe you could define what you mean by "digital format"? Instead of ascii, do you possibly mean vector?

It would be important to know before we can make suggestions.

At any rate, you wouldn't be able to use Adobe Reader...

• 2. Re: Convert a .jpg within a pdf into an ascii file or other digital format
            JM.Bsci Level 1

Thank you "graffiti" for helping me to spell this out better.  I am not well versed in this topic.  I am trying to get the colored lines in the attached pdf to be represented in an ascii (or similar) file so that it can be translated into a similar lines on some custom software.  Does that make my question any more clear or accurate?

• 3. Re: Convert a .jpg within a pdf into an ascii file or other digital format
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JM.Bsci wrote:

Thank you "graffiti" for helping me to spell this out better.  I am not well versed in this topic.  I am trying to get the colored lines in the attached pdf to be represented in an ascii (or similar) file so that it can be translated into a similar lines on some custom software.  Does that make my question any more clear or accurate?

It sounds like the term you are looking for is "vector". If it IS ascii, it may be a definition of ascii that I'm not familiar with.

Te create a vector file, you would need an application such as Adobe Illustrator that could recognize the lines for what they are and convert them in to a vector file. It won't be just a picture of a line anymore (created by colored dots), it will be a line created by a mathematical formula.

1 person found this helpful